Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Honda may leave Swindon

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335692

• Parksy
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 65

Honda's state of  the art manufacturing plant at Swindon is in danger of being closed because of a few NIMBYs.
Honda want to build two largish wind turbine generators to help reduce there power costs and to be "greener".
The NIMBYs are objecting and Swindon Council appears to be dithering.
We've already lost a big contract for Bombardier to Germany.
 Lets hope a few NIMBYs don't cost the UK the Honda plant!!  At least 3000 jobs would be lost plus all the ancillary support jobs which must run into thousands!.

Is it the tail wagging the dog again? Grrrr

Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 3 years 3 months ago by Parksy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335693

• AKA
  • Expert Boarder

That is just typical but is hardly shocking these days we are selling ourselves and the economy down the river the same people that complain about the national dept and there being no jobs or skills in the UK are the same ones that allow companies from the EU and further afield to bid for contracts that should never have been sourced outwith our own countries, when it comes to government or national companies contracting out they should only be allowed to source within our own countries, it is absolute disgrace but surprising, sadly not anymore..did they learn nothing with the iceland bank fiasco..why on earth..lets not even go there
Can this country do nothing for itself anymore from ships to cars, food and clothes, we supply pretty much nothing to our own trade markets anymore. its not only sad but pathetic and shameful that nearly all of our heavy industries are sourced and imported from abroad fed up,lollie

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335694

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

I think what Dustydog was trying to get at was exactly the opposite. He can't understand why things are being made difficult for the industry to be competitive. I'm sure that Honda aren't only producing cars for the UK market in Swindon so it would make sense to support the company in furthering their exports. After all, because the UK cannot be self-sufficient, if only for lack of natural resources, export trade is the only thing that keeps the economy healthy.
Lexus RX400h
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335695

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 91
Lutz wrote:
I think what Dustydog was trying to get at was exactly the opposite. He can't understand why things are being made difficult for the industry to be competitive. I'm sure that Honda aren't only producing cars for the UK market in Swindon so it would make sense to support the company in furthering their exports. After all, because the UK cannot be self-sufficient, if only for lack of natural resources, export trade is the only thing that keeps the economy healthy.
ugal, Ireland spring to mind
I think that's the point Lutz that a few selfish people may well spoil a thriving Industry and force it to look elsewhere, Greece, Port ugal, Ireland spring to mind

Historically we had NIMBYs objecting to the Railways and their Victorian Viaducts. Many of these structures are now Listed structures to be preserved for ever. And they enhance the landscape. Maybe wind turbines will enjoy that pleasure in years to come.
Sir Dustydog (BAR), Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335696

• shumba
  • Fresh Boarder

Get your facts straight Dustydog, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Honda want 3 x 120 metre turbines built on their plant.  The nearest home will be only 320 metres away.  This is not about nimbyism, it's about the irresponsible siting of these giant industrial structures.  This scaremongering about Honda moving away is ridiculous - they have just announced they are building the new CRV at their plant, that doesn't sound like they are going anywhere soon.  Nobody is against Honda, but if they decide to go it will certainly not be because of wind turbines.

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335697

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder

I can't see what's irresponsible about erecting wind turbines. They're a lot less likely to do anyone any harm than a power station belching forth who knows what into the atmosphere.
Lexus RX400h
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335698

Dustydog wrote:
Historically we had NIMBYs objecting to the Railways and their Victorian Viaducts. Many of these structures are now Listed structures to be preserved for ever. And they enhance the landscape. Maybe wind turbines will enjoy that pleasure in years to come.

If only the same could be said for road transport and the great swathes motorways cut out of the countryside to make way for them. Take Shap as an example where the west coast mainline blended into the landscape and how it looks now with the physical scarring of the M6 motorway. When motorways, or any other roads are built for that matter, the only objectors are those with homes in its path yet when an high speed railway is proposed, which only takes up a third of the area needed by a motorway, there is hell to play led by the powerful road haulage lobby.

“If there is anyone on the forum whom I have not insulted, I apologise profusely. ”

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335699

• Surfer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

What every one seems to forget is that these wind turbines which are a blight on the countryside in comparison generate very little electric into the national grid.  I wonder how much in costs Honda would save by having these eyesores built/  Over a 10 year period probably a big fat ZERO!  It will probably take 50 or more years to break even on the costs.  Getting all the building materials to the site probably does more environmental damage than the wind turbioen saves at the end of the day.  We can blame these monstrousities on the government and tree huggers as all Honda want to do is say "look how green we are!" and forget about the environmental impact they have building cars especially electric cars!

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335700

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder

One single wind turbine of that size will produce around 7.5 MW of power, so all three will most likely cover more than the needs of the factory. I have no way of judging the comparative cost of erecting the turbines with that of building a conventional power station so I can't comment on your statement. Whether they are eyesores is a matter of personal preference, but personally I find them less objectionable than a power station.
Lexus RX400h
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

Honda may leave Swindon 3 years 3 months ago #335701

• mucky pup
  • Expert Boarder
sunlover58 wrote:
Get your facts straight Dustydog, you have no idea what you're talking about.  Honda want 3 x 120 metre turbines built on their plant.  The nearest home will be only 320 metres away.  This is not about nimbyism, it's about the irresponsible siting of these giant industrial structures.  This scaremongering about Honda moving away is ridiculous - they have just announced they are building the new CRV at their plant, that doesn't sound like they are going anywhere soon.  Nobody is against Honda, but if they decide to go it will certainly not be because of wind turbines.
[  
Most people who complain about Wind Turbines are the ones that live near by ie South Marston who are worried about the effect on the housing market and their property. I dont see a problem with them.
Ken, Kia Sorento, Luna Clubman 470-2, 2003
Sir Mucky Pup TB

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Quasar 586 review 1 - Smart new decals and wheel spats are among the few changes in the appearance of the Lunar Quasar 586 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Cruiser review 1 - The wide body and the stylish grey GRP sidewalls hint at the luxurious feel of the Buccaneer Cruiser's interior (© Practical Caravan)
Practical Caravan's Standard Pod review 1 - Fans of teardrop tourers will doubtless be charmed by the Standard Pod's retro style (© Practical Caravan)

Follow us on