Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: gas butane///propane

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327535

hi new to caravaning ,,,i have a butane gas bottle <calor> can i swap to propane as i have been told better to stick with propane as its better for the cold weather ...?? thanks ,,rob
The administrator has disabled public write access.

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327536

• BobC
  • Senior Boarder

Yes, did it two years ago in cold snap. You'll need new regulator - screw in type. Make sure the hose is properly connected, if in doubt ask expert.
I think you have to go to a Calor distributor, not just ordinary retailer, to change un-like bottles. Check on calor website for your local one.

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327537

Propane is only "better" if you plan to use gas while the outside temperature is less than about 4 degrees C.  Otherwise butane works perfectly OK, and weight for weight produces slightly more heat than propane.  You will not need a new regulator if your caravan is the more modern type with a regulator fixed onto the bulkhead, but you will need a new pigtail, which is the pipe between the gas bottle and the regulator.

X-Trail 173 and Swift Charisma 550

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327538

thanks ,,i have both regulators i just would like to swap from butane to propane if the sellers would swap them over ?

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327539

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150

Hello Rob,
Am I correct in thinking that your last post is asking about exhanging the bottles?

If so, you can only exchange bottles for ones from the same supplier (i.e. Shell for Shell, Flow gas for Flow gas and Calor for Calor etc) 
Most suppliers only offer Propane gas, but Calor are different in offering both. Most Calor dealers will allow yo to exchange Calor Butane for Calor Propane and Vice Versa.

All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327540

thanks ,,i want to swap calor butane for calor propane,,

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327541

• Steve L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rob.

Until last winter, I'd always used butane gas. It worked fine down to -10 in our van. But due to the severe cold last winter, I changed to Propane. My 11Kg bottle of shell gas (changed at a flow gas stockist)has so far lasted from mid November 2010 to now without a refill.

Calor will do a swap at any of it's agents and you will need to get the regulator and connector pipe changed. It's a bit more expensive, but I would opt for the hand wheel bottle connection. It's easier to use.

The gas is a bit dearer to refill. So what I've done is to keep my second butane bottle to swap back when the Propane runs out. I want to do that this time to see how many days I get to 11Kgs of gas.

ATB TTFN Steve L.
Swift Challenger 450/5s & X type Jaguar estate 2.0 D
Ex Fulltime caravanner and loving every day. Appologies in advance if what I say offends but free speech is the heart of good debate. 

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327542

hi thanks for all the inf,,, i went to a local shop and he swaped it for me, paid £15.50 for a 4.kl propane is this about the price seems a bit steep as i could have had a 7kl  for an extra £4 but he never had any ,,,rob

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327543

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150

Hi Rob, 

When you were on Butane gas you were basically limited to Calor, as (with the exception of camping Gaz) I am not aware of any other brand supplier selling butane in samll bottles for caravans on a nationwide basis.(Someomns bound to prove me wrong
) Becasue of this monopoly Calor charge a premium price.

However now as you are using Propane, there are many alternative suppliers who may be significantly cheaper than Calor. and they all use the same bottle connector.- check out your local builders merchants or look in yellow pages for gas suppliers. The only down side is you will have to rent a new bottle from any new supplier as they wont exchange differnt brands -  
All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

gas butane///propane 3 years 8 months ago #327544

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder
John Griffiths wrote:
You will not need a new regulator if your caravan is the more modern type with a regulator fixed onto the bulkhead, but you will need a new pigtail, which is the pipe between the gas bottle and the regulator.

Hi, could you elaborate on the new pigtail bit please.

Many thanks.

Lisa

• Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Unicorn III Valencia - Bailey listened to critics in 2014 and has come up with a more streamlined exterior for the 2015 Unicorn III Valencia (© Tim Andrew/Practical Caravan)
2015 Compass Rallye 530 - The 2015 Compass Rallye 530 is a good looking caravan for couples (© Practical Caravan)
Sterling Eccles Sport 524 side view - There are new one-piece doors in the Sterling Eccles Sport 524, as well as those shiny 'Scorpion' alloy wheels – but the most exciting changes are inside (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on