Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: glossary

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353421

hi,
am i the only one struggling with all the abbreviations?
is there a glossary anywhere?
thanks,
nick

never do today what you can put off until tomorrow..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353422

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 104

Hello Nick, 

No you are definately not the only one. I have not yet found a published comprhensive list of abreviations that lists all the abreviations and their accurate meanings.

Caravanning seems to be riddled with them, and in many cases an abreviations has become an accepted way to desribe a particular criteria, yet its actual or legal meaning may be somewhat different.

Some abbreviations in common use have no formal definition, so it is a bit of a mine field.

The PC web site does have an advice section (dark blue band) and you can look up others such as the 
National Trailer & Towing Association Ltd www.NTTA.co.uk

You can also look up the Government portal for licence and vehicle weights etc.

Failing that if there is something your not sure about you can always try this forum, but be warned you are likely to get several different interpretations. 
All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information given with relevant professionals

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353423

• Gagakev
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28

Nick dont be shy mate, if you dont know you dont know, Just ask on  here in the post it concerns, I did once and actually got an apology from the poster
Sir Gagakev WC (2BAR)

Shogun Equippe3.2DTi tugging Fleetwood Symphony Sonata

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353424

• Dustydog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 57

Hi Nick
A lot of abbreviations are contained in this link :- http://www.all-acronyms.com/

If there are any abbs on here you don't understand , then feel free top ask, no problem.
Sir Dustydog (BAR), Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353425

• Parksy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 44

Hi Nick
The abbreviations most commonly used on caravan forums are:
   IE = Iinternet explorer
 spam = unauthorised advertising
  ehu  =   electric hook up
  CC  =    Caravan Club
C&CC =  Camping & Caravanning Club
CS   = certified site, a small 5 unit site often without facilities which is licenced but not owned by the Camping & Caravanning Club
CL   = certified location, the Caravan Club equivalent to a certified site as described above
MTPLM = maximum technically permissible laden mass or the maximum weight of the caravan when fully loadedwith your personal items.
MIRO  = mass in running order or the unladen weight of the caravan without gas bottles, personal effects etc
If there are any other abbreviations that you're not sure about just ask as and when they crop up in forum posts

Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353426

hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so whats with the mtplnf and all the other BS?
nick

never do today what you can put off until tomorrow..

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353427

• Sproket
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • And member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 40
nickmac73 wrote:
hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so WTF with the mtplnfand all the other BS?
nick

Welcome to the world of caravan's 

Sir Sproket CJ (BAR).

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353428

• Parksy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 44
nickmac73 wrote:
hi,
i drive a lorry and have a maximum gross weight...so a nett weight of the lorry plus my load which add up to the MGW....so whats with the mtplnf and all the other BS?
nick
A car and caravan combination is not as stable as an articulated lorry and the terminology is different.
Whether or not you think that it's 'BS' to be a safe and responsible touring caravanner you should make it your business to at least have some idea of what the legal weight references are.
Click Here if you want to look it up

Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353429

nickmac73 wrote:
hi,
nick
M.T.P.L.N.F simply means :- Maximum. Trailer. Permmited. Load. "big fine if" Not. Followed.

glossary 2 years 3 months ago #353430

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 104

I am beginning to think this may be a wind up thread
All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information given with relevant professionals
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Bailey Pursuit 560-5 review - At 1441kg, the Bailey Pursuit 560-5 makes a sensible match for a family estate or small SUV, say Practical Caravan's expert reviewers (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman Vision 580/5 review - Coachman's designers made the new Vision range, including the 580/5, look contemporary inside and out, say Practical Caravan's reviewers (© Tim Andrew/Practical Caravan)

Xplore 574

£14,199

The definitive Practical Caravan Xplore 574 review - Elddis revamped its Xplore range as a brand and launched the 574, write Practical Caravan's experts (© Rob Ganley/Practical Caravan)
Practical Caravan reviews Lunar Clubman Saros Edition SE - Practical Caravan's expert reviewers found a lot to like in the Lunar Clubman Saros Edition SE (© Tim Andrew/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on