Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309287

• wombat1
  • Expert Boarder

I am looking for a campsite in the Brittany or Vendee regio for a first time visit to France.
My searches so far have revealed the sites are similar to the larger commercial sites in this country, i.e. thay have bars, restaurants, take away, entertainment - not what I want!
I want something akin to CC or C&CC type of site - i.e. no bar, no restaurant, no takeaway, no entertainment, maybe even no statics or lodges/chalets.
Now what I would like are pool, basics shop, not too far (several miles) from beach (safe to bathe and sandy with parking maybe even loo's), toilet/shower block, play area for kids.
Can anyone help with identifying a internet search site that has a search option to enable me to eliminate the things I don't want and tick the the things I do want to find a camp site? Or even some suggestions please?
Also I have noticed the sites that provide the things I don't want are really (in my opinion) expensive and if that is the price I would have to pay I'll stick to the grey skies of England.
looking forward to your replies.
Wombat

�
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309288

• RobertP
  • Fresh Boarder

Wombat
 I would suggest La Foret at St. Julien des Landes in the Vendee. We have stayed there with Keycamp twice and it is really a very peaceful and most beautiful retreat. Yes it does have a bar (a converted stable) that is not very intrusive and the restaurant usually only contains half a dozen people.

The pitches are large, seperated by hedges and there is an imense feeling of space. There are 2 pools either side of the Chateaux and one of them on many occasions my family and I have had to ourselves. As I can recall they had a shop that sold bread only, however the village of St. Julien that is a 5 minute walk from site contains a small supermarket and bakery. The owners; he is French and the Nephew of the original Chateaux / Lnd owner and his wife Swiss are most pleasant.

We are planning to return there next summer before travelling across France and into Switzerland / Germany.

The site has its own website and is well worth a look. There are some excellent beaches within about a 20-30 minute drive.

Please ask if any further information is required.

Best Regards

Robert

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309289

• VIP640
  • Gold Boarder

You could try this site  http://www.labaudonniere.com/ it has all of what you requested. It's owned by a young Irish family who takes care and pride in running the site....

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309290

• wombat1
  • Expert Boarder

I would welcome some more suggestions please.
I am not having much look trying to find what I want with my interrnet searches.
I have the Alan Rogers book, but they are mostly large "commercial" sites.
Does France have anything comparable to the Caravan/Camping club?
Wombat

�

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309291

• ValA.
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

Have a look at the UKCS website - click on the map of France, and search by 'region' and then have a look at all the sites in that region, and read members' reviews.  It may help you narrow your search a little.
If you do read any reviews that you like the sound of then you can come back on here and ask for opinions for contributors to this forum, too.
The Camping France website would be great - but it only lets you 'select' what you want, not 'unselect' it - so you can select 'bar', 'restaurant' etc., but not 'exclude' sites which have them!
I didn't mean to sound at all rude in my post in reply to your other topic - but sometimes people who haven't been to France judge 'commercial' sites by what you find in Britain - and most French campsites are just not like that at all.  There are a few - and no doubt you'll read some of the reviews indicating where those might be - but they are really few and far between! 
France doesn't have the same network of Club sites as we do here - but generally there are sites to suit everyone - whatever their requirements.  I hope someone comes up with a gem for you.  Unfortunately it's not an area I'm familiar with - we tend to go further south just to make sure of some good weather - and we don't have children, so we travel in May/June and August/September - when most campsites are rarely even half full - and some are havens of absolute peace.  We've had the swimming pool on several sites all to ourselves for days, sometimes!

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309292

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 42

Brittany.... This may be of interest especially if you use the Plymouth/Roscoff ferry.

http://www.camping-trologot.com/index_uk.htm

The beach is 100meters  and the stactics are tucked away at the far end of the site.
Take care in choosing your pitch if you go as there are many tucked away pitches.
There is free Wifi near the reception building.
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!

GB West Sussex

Quiet site in Brittany/Vendee 4 years 2 months ago #309293

• wombat1
  • Expert Boarder

Eureka - I've found it!
www.campingfrance.com
this site allows me to select the star rating (which I think relates to the amenities provided, not the "quality") and the size of the site by the number of pitches.
i have already found a couple in western brittany I like the look of.
Just read some reveiws of some sites in the Vendee region that were off putting - referring to "the surrounding area was like a circus", a negative comment about the number of campsites that are packed into this region. I supect this occurs near the coast. Never the less, i would not want to experience this whilst touring in that area.
So if anyone would like to clarify the comment above, that I have read, is it correct, are some areas like that, and best avoided?
Thanks
wombat

�
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Unicorn III Valencia - Bailey listened to critics in 2014 and has come up with a more streamlined exterior for the 2015 Unicorn III Valencia (© Tim Andrew/Practical Caravan)
2015 Compass Rallye 530 - The 2015 Compass Rallye 530 is a good looking caravan for couples (© Practical Caravan)
Sterling Eccles Sport 524 side view - There are new one-piece doors in the Sterling Eccles Sport 524, as well as those shiny 'Scorpion' alloy wheels – but the most exciting changes are inside (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on