Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Electrical problem with road lights. Help please

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300377

Last night driving home from France we were flashed a couple of times. We pulled over to find the van side lights/rear lights were not working. The indicators and brake lights work fine. . The usual wiggle of the plug failed so we limped home with the warning light flashing and got pulled up by a very understanding police man about 200 yards from home. Now safely home I've connected the van to another vehicle and everything is fine. To double check I also connected another trailer lighting board to the tow car and that shows the same fault as the van. So clearly the fault is with the towcar.(I'm on the 'old' 7 pin system) If it was an earth problem surely the indicators and brake lights wouldn't work. But the left and right rear lights have seperate positive feeds so what could stop them both working as well as the van front small white lights.Could there be a fuse covering these lights but not the indicators/brake lights? Any Ideas?

Paul
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300378

• Sproket
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • And member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 63
How old is your car ?

Has the socket been on the car long ?

The very least you will have to do is take the socket apart & check the ends of the wire have not corroded.....

Failing that you will need to find how / where the pick up for the wires are in the back of the car & check those connections

I would put a new socket on if there is any corrosion in the rear & re-make every connection....

Sir Sproket CJ (BAR).

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300379

Hello Sproket,

Thanks for prompt reply

it's a Piccasso, 4 years old and the electrics were fitted a couple of years ago by towbar fitters. The contacts and connections all look as good as new but I'll check them all again.If there was a bad connection on a pin for example wouldn't it tend to affect one light it seems odd that they should all go at once. The fault seems to be common to everything except the brakes and indicators

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300380

• Sproket
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • And member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 63
You will have to find out where the wires are connected in the boot of your car, if it has just been scotch-locked they might just want a nip, if that works re-make that connection also..

Are you car rear lights ok ?

Sir Sproket CJ (BAR).

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300381

Yes the car lights are all ok. I'll work towards the inner depths of the towbar wiring checking as I go.

Paul.

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300382

• RonD
  • Gold Boarder
I had a similar problem some years ago and to save time the fitter had connected the van's left and right light feeds together and fed them from one side of the car wiring. This may be the case with your car and you only need this one connection to fail and all your van lights have gone. Good advice from sproket though.

Ron
 Mondeo TDCi 130 & Swift Freestyle 460 2010

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300383

Paul,

Before stripping anything down, ensure that the car side lightswitch is turned on. Then you should check for voltage between Pin 3 and 7 and Pin 3 and 5. If you don't have a meter then a bulb with two croc clipswill do.

Pin 3 Earth

PIn 5 Right Sidelight

Pin 7 Left Sidelight

If you have 12 volts then simply spreading the pins in the socket could be the solution.

Electrical problem with road lights. Help please 4 years 3 months ago #300384

Yippeeee sorted.

It was a dodgy badly made connection. As suggested the left and right side were joined so a fault on one side and you lose the lot. bad practise indeed. I guess this is how the 'pro' tow bar fitters do the job in half the time of a DIYer. Next time I'll do the job myself and it won't fail.

Thanks for all the help.

Paul.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on