Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: truma water system - drippng safety valve and coughing taps

truma water system - drippng safety valve and coughing taps 4 years 2 months ago #305560

Please could I ask for your help in diagnosing a fault I have with the truma water system in my 2005 caravan? I have an ultrastore rapid 10 litre water heater than uses gas and electric. I supply water to it with a truma submersible pump.

If the taps have not been operated for a little while the water supply from them coughs and splutters in exactly the way that one would expect when the water is first connected to the system and air is trapped. I think the flow rate is a little reduced too. he caravn has been used several times this season witho problem, this probem has suddenly ocurred in the last couple of weeks

The problem occurs at both sets of taps, bathroom and kitchen (so I assume the taps are not at fault) and only occurs on the hot supply.I have also used two submersible pumps which made no difference. I therefore thought that maybe air was being drawn in the hot water pipework.While studying the hot pipework I noticed that water was dripping from the overflow pipe under the caravan that comes from the red push-on connection elbow immediately from the hot water outlet of the water heater. I assume this contains a pressure relief valve?

So, I ordered a replacement part and fitted it, but this has not cured the fault. Water is still dripping and the taps are still coughing.

So, could I ask for your help on what is causing this dripping from the safety valve? and do you think this fault is also responsible for the coughing taps? If not  would welcome any suggestions on this
many thanks
Steve Critchlow
Empty post (likely not intentional - probably an Internet Explorer issue!)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

truma water system - drippng safety valve and coughing taps 4 years 2 months ago #305561

after speaking with Truma about this, who very kindly called me to discuss, I replaced a one way valve just in front of the water heater, in its cold water in supply, but sadly this has made no difference.Ive now wasted £25 on spares - so wold still welcome any ideas on a cure!
Empty post (likely not intentional - probably an Internet Explorer issue!)

truma water system - drippng safety valve and coughing taps 4 years 2 months ago #305562

hi steve.
it does sound from your description that there is air in there somewhere you say it is in the hot water only as the cold is fine is this right ??  I won't insult your inteligence by asking if you are sure it is the overflow and not the drain tap that is leaking or wether you have run the water through fully starting with the cold taps then the hot.
there is a couple of tests you could try to find the problem. first is the flow rate valve that is near the base of the heater and connected to the pump inlet this is adjustable by turing the wheel left then right. left increases the flow.   when the taps are off if the pump doesn't shut off ease it right till it does. next try the system out without any heat on to see if it is just the hot that bubbles while running cold water if this works ok it could be that the water is just too hot and the temp needs turning down . if all else fails check that there is no air entering at the filtre housing either from the filtre its self or from the "O" rings in the connector.

good luck let us know what you find out as there is a couple of other thing you could try.
colin

truma water system - drippng safety valve and coughing taps 4 years 2 months ago #305563

• RayS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

Before I read you have changed the red overflow connection/valve I would have diagnosed this as the cause. If the system is left 'wet' over a period and the water is hard, some limescale can build up in this component causing it to fail to seat properly. The symptoms are usually that once the water is fully hot water comes out of this connection under the van in spurts and the van taps tend to spurt also as air can get back into the system through this valve if it is not seating correctly.
I had exactly this happen some years ago when refilling and recommissioning after draining dwon for the winter - obviously impossible to get every last drop out of the pipework and the body of this valve is horizontal.
From memory i asked for advice on this forum and someone said - give it a sharp tap sideways with a screwdrive handle - which i did and problem resolved.
If you have the red valve assembly off the caravan try blowing through it from the outside inwards - i.e. towards the heater. I believe this is a non-return valve so should resist pressure in this direction but pass it in the other. If air can pass in both directions then, presumably something is stopping it sealing correctly.  I am not totally sure that this valve does function as I suggest, so someone with more detailed knowledge may well correct me - please.

Ray S . 
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on