Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Can Butane gas freeze

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315521

• EmmaJ1
  • Fresh Boarder

Hello,
Can anyone give me a bit of advise please.  Unfortunately my Husband and I are living in an Abbey Oxford caravan while waiting for renovation works on our house to be completed.  In this weather it's not much fun and we have continual problems with the water supply freezing up.  Now on top of that the gas seems to have dried up and we only recently replaced the bottle.  Is it possible that the gas could have frozen?
Thanks in advance.
Emma

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315522

• chicarol
  • Platinum Boarder

yes your gas can freeze up.i will try to find the correct numbers.

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315523

• Soozeeg
  • Platinum Boarder

Yes it can Emma - well, something happens to it, I don't know all the technical details.  Same thing happened to us when we were away at Christmas last year.  You really need to change to Propane in the really cold weather (which may mean a change of regulator as well).
SUE

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315524

• chicarol
  • Platinum Boarder

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315525

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 133

Hello Emma,
Butane LPG (calor gas blue bottles) in practical terms is not suitable for caravan in temperatures below 5 C. Propane (Calor red bottles) is the preferred LPG for ambient temperatures below 5C and in fact it is good for practical  temperatures down to about -30C.
LPG stands for Liquefied Petroleum Gas, and technically it does not freeze (conversion of a liuid to a solid) but it stops boiling (conversion of a fluid to a gas) In practice the name is irrelevant as far as you are concerned it just stops working. The gasses true boiling points are a bit lower below the figures I have given above, but as you use gas from a bottle it actually cools the bottle so it needs some temperature difference to make sure enough gas is boiled off to run the caravan.
LPG bottles actually work just like a domestic pressure cooker, but at a much lower temperature.

All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315526

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder

Ours froze on Saturday which resulted in having to go and buy a bottle of orange and a regulator and fitting it all in the dark and snow.
  The water keeps freezing etc too.  

Hope you get it all sorted.

Lisa

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315527

• ProfJohnL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 133

LPG Butane does not 'FREEZE' it actually stops 'BOILING' or 'Gassing off'
All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith, unless quoted with references, The reader should verify the information provided with relevant professionals before acting on it

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315528

• gary
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8

Technically of course you are right John, still, for all practical layman explanations, Freezing is a one word easily understood description which requires no more explanation.
No different to when the policeman shouts 'freeze' no one expects the baddy to turn to ice! but stop moving, same as Butane does
Arc Systems

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315529

• EmmaJ1
  • Fresh Boarder

Thank you everyone for all the info - you learn something every day.  Most depressing news 
 I had no idea butane could freeze (stop boiling). We'll have to think about swapping over. Thank goodness we've got a microwave that's all I can say.  Roll on Spring!!!

Emma

Can Butane gas freeze 3 years 10 months ago #315530

• Parksy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 63

Hi Emma
An old water tank jacket or even couple of old anoraks from a charity jumble wrapped around your Aquaroll  might help to prevent the water from freezing so often. Domestic pipe lagging over the water pipes might also help. An awning will help to keep the cold out of the caravan if your haven't erected one already.
Steve in Leo, one of our long standing forum members, lives full time in his tourer. I'm sure that he'll have plenty of tips to help you to stay warm and comfortable. I hope that your house renovation is completed soon.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on