Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Thetford offers free toilet fix kit

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342475

Dear all - thought this may be of interest, particularly as it is fast approaching laying up time!

*PASTED FROM NEWS STORY ON HOME PAGE*

TOILET MANUFACTURER THETFORD has announced a free DIY fix for owners of vans fitted with its popular C-250 CWE unit.

Thetford is reacting to reports where the pump of the C-250 CWE toilet has broken. It claims the majority of cases have been due to frost damage although reports of problems with leaking flush tanks on this model were common soon after launch.
 Simple Fix
The fix improves drainage of the C-250's flush water tank and the electric pump. It consists of an additional drain tube which is accessed through the service hatch door. This allows the toilet to be more comprehensively drained, minimising the chance of fresh water in the tank freezing when the van is laid up for winter.

Thetford says the kit only concerns toilets produced before 1st April  2010 but the kit is suitable for all installed C-250 CWE toilets. The retrofit is an easy 10 minute job which most users will find easy to do themselves.

To get the kit, complete with fixing instructions, email  C250draintube@thetford.eu including the following information:
  • Name and address
  • Serial number (or code) of your toilet (which is located on the bottom of your holding tank)
  • Make, model and chassis number of your caravan 

To see what is involved, the instructions on installing the additional drain can be downloaded by clicking here
  Do you have a C-250 CWE?
If you don't know what toilet your caravan has, don't panic! If it is a UK touring caravan built from around 2009 onward, there is a good chance it has the CWE-250.
There are a couple of ways to identify it.

All C-250 models use an electric flush. If your toilet does not have an electric flush, it is not a C-250.

The C-250 has a wheeled waste container that is grey and orange in colour.

The swivel toilet bowl of the C-250 looked at from above looks circular. The older C-200 is more rectangular.

The service door on the outside of the caravan is a different shape with the C-250. The door hinges downward and is wider than it is tall. If your toilet service door is side-hinged, it is not a C-250.

If you are still not sure, email Thetford at the address above with the serial number of your toilet and it will advise whether your toilet is an affected model.

Nigel Donnelly
Former editor in chief...

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342476

I got mine and fitted it 2 days ago(took about a week to come from Thetford)
Basically it is an extra drain tube that replaces a plastic U bend pipe so that there are now 2 rubber drain tubes alongside each other but coming from opposite sides
After draining the flush tank and operating the pump with no flush water coming out on removal of the plastic U bend it became apparent why the mod was needed but my sweatshirt soon dried out 

John

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342477

Done mine friday.It now replaces the mod i done myself 2 winters ago..The first winter i drained down i realised water was still in the u bend so i removed it,While it was off i drilled a hole in botom and tapped a 6mm thead in it and then put a 6mm plastic screw in, which i then rmoved last winter to drain.

Archway Ruby & Kia Sorento Auto

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342479

• Surfer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

This raises the question about the type of testing involved before a product is marketed.  Surely the designers should have realised that a U bend will trap water and that in a cold climate the water will freeze and damage the unit?  Why is it always left to Joe Public to do the testing?  Same applies to PDI's on caravans.

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342480

That thought passed through my mind a few minutes before reading your comment

John

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342478

Here is a pic of the completed mod

You can see the new drain top LHS with the original beneath it
Both rubber tubes have plugs 

John

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342481

• Dustydog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85

Thanks for that Nigel.
I emailed Thetford and they replied by return confirming my DIY kit is on its way.
I've since discovered that Swift Talk Forum allerted their members to this problem as long ago as the 5th October.
Neither Bailey nor my dealer ever said anything , in fact I only had the Wyoming serviced last monday.

Anyway I'm glad you are on the ball, much appreciated.

Sir Dustydog (BAR), Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342482

I contacted our DIY demon Doug King and he disputed that his C-250 had any drains at all as standard. Lo and behold, he went an looked and found the drain mounted inside, above the top edge of the service door. He claims it is not mentioned in the literature with the toilet and he has been draining his by pumping the water into the toilet bowl. 

He has also requested the kit!

Nigel Donnelly
Former editor in chief...

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342483

• JimC
  • Gold Boarder

On reading this thread I went and checked my Bailey Barcelona delivered Jan 2011 and the pipes look exactly like the pre DIY fix. I then requested the the free DIY fix only to be told by Thetford that according to their records my flush tank does not need the modification. As my pipes do not have the additional drain point on the U bend. Have Thetford made an internal modification to the pump to allow it to drain through the original drain point. Can anyone throw any light on this as I am baffled?
Jim C

Thetford offers free toilet fix kit 2 years 11 months ago #342484

Maybe they have or maybe they have made a mistake in your case
You can achieve the same effect I think(if there is enough room below) if you remove the plastic tube U bend and after cutting it in half  insert a Y or T piece with suitable plug
The mod they have made just extends the drain pipe so that it rests in the same place above the door as the original which it supplements
Or you can just remove and replace the plastic U bend on draindown

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CARAVAN-WATER-PIPE-1-2-HOSE-Y-CONNECTOR-/180736782339?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a14c07003#ht_1171wt_901

John

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on