Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can anyone help?

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351961

Hi I was wondering if any of you helpful lot could help us, as you have done in the past.  We need to replace the infill rubbers on the awning rails, as they are perishing,  which and how is the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351962

The infills are a plastic material, called Herzim Strip and they come in several different sizes and colours. You need to measure the width of the channel they go into, it will probably be 12mm or 15mm.
You can get the strip here: http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/pvc--rubber-extrusions-20-c.asp

Remove the old strip and clean out any dirt etc in the channel.
Measure the length of channel and cut the strip to allow at least 2 inches more than you want.
Put the strip in hot water to soften it then press into the channel, possibly using a blunt implement to help it seat in.
It will shrink a little when cooling in length , once secured at each end , trim to length when  it has cooled

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351963

It sounds really easy. is it fiddley?

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351964

• Clubman1
  • Gold Boarder

Not exactly fiddley but it cannot be rushed. In addition to warming the plastic in hot water to make it pliable, I also used a hairdryer to keep the insert softened, I found this essential whilst fixing the plastic insert on the awning rail proper, as when you remove the plastic from the hot water it quickly loses it's flexibility. I also used a small section of a wooden batten to ease the insert into the rail.

Clubman

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351965

There used to be a simple tool that looked a bit like a screwdriver with a shaped wire loop on the end that was designed for inserting the trim. I've not seen one for ages but I'm sure there must still be some about. Maybe one of the trade suppliers still stock them?

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351966

• hortimech
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder

The tool you are thinking about is used to fit infill strips to car window surounds and the like. I am not sure it would work on aluminium trim, as the whole idea was that as you pushed it, the loop opened up the groove and a following roller pushed the trim into the groove.

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351967

Just checked and they are still available to caravan trade from Leisure Plus and marketed as being for caravan trim.

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351968

• hortimech
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder

I actually have one of tools in question and used it, all be it on tractor cabs not cars or caravans, it works as I said, the leading wire loop opens the window sealing rubber groove and the roller pushes the infill strip in to the groove. I fail to see how this will work on an aluminium extrusion, the wire loop will not open the groove.

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351969

• Parksy
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 65

When I replaced a strip on my leaky Lunar some years ago all I did was to choose a warm day, I immersed the replacement trim, which I bought from a normal caravan accessory shop, in some warm water and stretched it slightly while I prodded it into place with my finger. Easy peasy and no tools needed.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Can anyone help? 2 years 8 months ago #351970

Thank you to all that have replied, we have done it today as it was nice and sunny, went well but very slow process. 
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Quasar 586 review 1 - Smart new decals and wheel spats are among the few changes in the appearance of the Lunar Quasar 586 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Cruiser review 1 - The wide body and the stylish grey GRP sidewalls hint at the luxurious feel of the Buccaneer Cruiser's interior (© Practical Caravan)
Practical Caravan's Standard Pod review 1 - Fans of teardrop tourers will doubtless be charmed by the Standard Pod's retro style (© Practical Caravan)

Follow us on