Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: New vinyl on the floor of a caravan

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352854

Hi kids.

I'm going to lay new vinyl on the floor of our project Elddis this weekend. It is currently sat in my driveway as the picture below shows and you can see how I got on whipping out the nasty old carpet in the blog here

Just before I start work, wanted to canvas a bit of opinion as to the best way to lay the vinyl. Asking in my local carpet shop, they suggested double-sided carpet tape would do the job. Is there any chance of it showing through though? The other option is a contact adhesive but I'm worried I'll never get the fumes out of the van.

Any thoughts / advice would be very welcome!
Cheers

Nigel Donnelly
Former editor in chief...

The administrator has disabled public write access.

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352855

• Parksy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 67

I've never laid vinyl floor covering in a caravan myself but I think that you can get solvent free odourless adhesive that would do the job Nigel
Have a look Here
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352856

Evo Stick do a non smelly contact adhesive, either liquid in a tin or spray.
If you loose lay the vinyl then lift the edges and use the spray along the floor, drop the vinyl back,,job done.

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352857

Cheers chaps.

So Damian, you're saying to just stick down the edges once I've got the vinyl cut to size?

Nigel Donnelly

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352858

I've found it easier to lay the vinyl on a warm day as it is softer and can be moved into place without kinking. I would be inclined to glue it in areas of high wear as if it stretches in use it will bubble up if not fixed down. Are you taking the bunks out before you lay the vinyl as it will make a neater job if you can.

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352859

Graham,

Good info, thanks

The bunks have a gap under them where the carpet used to go, so I can thread the vinyl underneath. May strip out the kitchen units though...

Nigel Donnelly

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352860

• SirRogerFFS
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Hi Nigel. In a small area like a caravan I would only glue around the eges but still try and lay it on a warm day.(Certainly not cold)
I have recently Vynil floored kitchen diner at home in old money 21ft x9ft parimeter glued only.
I hope this helps.
By the way I posted to get my name in for the one of the stickers and found next day post had gone so I hope you have a couple of spare as I would love to display one when on site .
Sir Roger

Sir Roger (WM) Residing at  Buggram Hall Daventry

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352861

Thought I was going to do the vinyl flooring in the van but got sidetracked with a step-removal project instead. Click here for the latest info...

Nigel Donnelly

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352862

• emmerson
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

Nigel, we've recently had our bathroom re - done in vynil by professionals. They used double - sided tape, and they've been back three times now to re-lay it because it keeps "bubbling up" round the walls. It appears to be cut too big, as once again it is bubbling. If the pros can't get it right, I hope you have more luck!
(and if you do, will you come and do mine???)

It's better in a Royale!

New vinyl on the floor of a caravan 2 years 8 months ago #352863

Emmerson,
I was hoping it was easy! Will send pictures when it is done...

Nigel Donnelly

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Unicorn III Valencia - Bailey listened to critics in 2014 and has come up with a more streamlined exterior for the 2015 Unicorn III Valencia (© Tim Andrew/Practical Caravan)
2015 Compass Rallye 530 - The 2015 Compass Rallye 530 is a good looking caravan for couples (© Practical Caravan)
Sterling Eccles Sport 524 side view - There are new one-piece doors in the Sterling Eccles Sport 524, as well as those shiny 'Scorpion' alloy wheels – but the most exciting changes are inside (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Lifestyle 2 review 1 - The Swift Lifestyle 2 works well in the evening, but – with its panoramic sunroof – it really shines during the day (© Bob Atkins/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on