Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358681

• Patpar
  • Junior Boarder

Hi, I have a Thetford Cassette Porta Potti and half way through my weekend, the water stopped coming into the system.  I understand that there is a safety cut out switch in case the cassettee it is not housed properly (which I think has happened).  Does it have to be reset?  If so, how do I do it and where can I find it?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358682

• Sproket
  • Platinum Boarder
  • And member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 64

This should help 
 thetford service manuals

Sir Sproket CJ (BAR).

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358683

• Patpar
  • Junior Boarder

Thanks, I have the instruction manual, but the troubleshooting guide is not very useful. 

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358684

hi Patpar,
it may sound silly, but often problems are.
a. is there water in the flush tank is it full?
b. have you tried pulling out the cassette aligning all the fittings and replacing?
c. looked for obstructions at the back or btm of the cassette tray that could stop it locating properly.
d.. checked the fuses,
a while ago I had a problem with the flap on the cassette not opening when it did it was very stiff, turned out to be the replacment fluid bottles "stored under the cassette" the new ones were oblong not square not by much but enough to make the cassette tight when located, changing the bottles cured the problem

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358685

• Patpar
  • Junior Boarder

a. is there water in the flush tank is it full? No it is empty
b. have you tried pulling out the cassette aligning all the fittings and replacing?Will give this a go

c. looked for obstructions at the back or btm of the cassette tray that could stop it locating properly.
d.. checked the fuses,Any ideas where this will be?

Sorry to sound a bit stupid, but I am very new to caravaning and I have a near useless OH who doesnt like any DIY or caravaning!!

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358686

• Parksy
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 63

Hi Pat
From what you've written so far I'm guessing that you have a 'bench type' cassette toilet fitted in your caravan.
 This model, if this is what you have, is called a Thetford C2, so if you need any parts bear this in mind.
By 'Porta Potti' do you mean a completely removable toilet such as those used by tent campers, or is it a permanent fixture inside the caravan?
Assuming that your 'Porta Potti' is a bench type C2 -
First of all, ensure that the 'blade' inside the toilet bowl is fully closed with no liquid on the top of it.
As Colin suggested, open the side hatch adjacent to the toilet on the outside caravan wall.
Operate the retaining catch and withdraw the cassette holding tank from the toilet hatch.
Ensure that there are no obstructions which would prevent the holding tank from sliding smoothly back into place, fully home.
With the holding tank cassette out, look up at the underside of the toilet from the hatch. Toward the back edge of the toilet assembly you should see a wiring harness which leads to a 3 amp fuse holder. Withdraw and check the fuse, replace if necessary. The fuse holder is part number 23 on the diagram below, in the caravan it will be above the holding tank.

Replace the holding tank, pull the white plastic flush tank filler spout towards you and fill the holding tank with clean water (part number 4 on the diagram).
Operate the toilet flush
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358687

• Patpar
  • Junior Boarder

Great thanks that is very useful and yes it is the C2 model.

Will give it all a go and let you know if it works!!

Pat

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358688

Patpar wrote:

a. is there water in the flush tank is it full? No it is empty
b. have you tried pulling out the cassette aligning all the fittings and replacing?Will give this a go

d.. checked the fuses,Any ideas where this will be?

Sorry to sound a bit stupid, but I am very new to caravaning and I have a near useless OH who doesnt like any DIY or caravaning!!
hi Pat,
no questions are ever stupid or the reasons for asking them, the only stupid question is one that was never asked??
Parksy has answered your question better than I could have,  and done well to identify the unit from the information available
however regarding your answers to the above " a. is there water in the flush tank is it full? No it is empty"
did you empty the flush tank when it became faulty or has it just run dry as this will of course stop it from flushing ?
I am not familier with the C2 so dont know wether it has  a manual tank fill or automatiic "from the water supply"
if it is the latter then a fuse seems the most likely cause,

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358689

• Parksy
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 63

The C2 is manual fill with access to the filling spout via the cassette hatch, the spout should be pulled towards you when filling and pushed back into place when finished.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Problems with Thetford Cassette Porta Potti 2 years 4 months ago #358690

• Patpar
  • Junior Boarder

Hi, just wanted to thank everyone for their help.
I have had the cassette out this morning.  At the back of the cassette housing is a small plate with a spring on it.  I presume this makes sure it is housed correctly?
Do I need to connect it to mains to make sure it is all working?  Just going to change the fuse to see if that is it.
Also when I open the blade, it is not going all the way across.  Any ideas?

Pat
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on