Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: HELP NEEDED

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349154

hi i am new to caravaning and have just brought a bailey senator oklahoma 2003 lenght 23'10"
miro 1222kgs   mtplm 1491kgs and was looking into buying a
 ford mondeo diesel estate 2.0l tdci titanium x year 08 and was really needing assurance that this car would be ok for towing and was wondering if you could help with my quiery many thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349155

Hi frantastic.

Do you know the kerbweight of your Mondeo? If you get its kerbweight which should be on the logbook then divide that by 100 then multiply by 85, this will give you the recommended 85% . Of the top of my head your car would need to be around 1700kg. But you can legaly tow upto 100%. Also check the manufacturer legal towing weight which hopefully will be 1500kg or more.

Dougie.....

Olympus 534 hitched to an  Antara 2.0ltr cdti S

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349156

• emmerson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Hi Fantastic, and welcome. I can't speak for the Mondeo, as I've never owned one, but they do appear to be well-liked on this forum.
However,(and this is a purely personal opinion) I would say that it would be rather under-powered for such a large van. As the old saying goes "there ain't no substitute for cubic centimetres".

It's better in a Royale!

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349157

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 7

Hello frantastic and welcome to the forum.

You may like to view these Practical Caravan guides.
They explain what you need to find out to decide on a suitable tow car for your caravan and if you are currently licensed to drive it.

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/info-you-need-you-buy-towcar 

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/advice/are-you-licensed-tow 

.............info on Mondeo Estate to be found here under technical specification heading.

http://www.buyanewcaronline.co.uk/ford/mondeo/mondeo-diesel-estate/2.0-tdci-140-titanium-x-5dr/

(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!

GB West Sussex

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349158

• Parksy
  • Enjoyin' Life
  • Thank you received: 9

Hi Fran'tastic', welcome to the Practical Caravan forum and welcome to the hobby of caravanning.
I don't own a Mondeo but the figures that I found on the internet (which are not guaranteed to be accurate) seem to suggest that the minimum kerbweight of the Mondeo would be 1575kg and the absolute maximum weight that you could tow with this vehicle would be 1800kg.
Clubs and organisations including the Caravan Club and Practical Caravan recommend that those inexperienced in towing aim for a figure of 85% of the towing vehicle's kerbweight which would give a figure of 1,338 kg as an ideal towing weight for the Mondeo, so the caravan might be a bit on the heavy side for this particular vehicle although the weight would be within legal limits.

Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349159

thanks for all your help, we havent brought the car yet but have found minium kerb weight of 1590kg

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349160

• RogerL
  • Platinum Boarder
frantastic wrote:
thanks for all your help, we havent brought the car yet but have found minium kerb weight of 1590kg
It's not a rule but The Towing Code recommends using a maximum caravan of 85% for beginners, which would mean a caravan less than 1350kg MTPLM with a 1590kg car.
If you passed your driving test after 1st Jan 1998, you'll also be limited to a maximum outfit weight (plated weight not actual) of 3500kg so going for a heavier towcar would actually mean a reduction in caravan weight!
To tow a 1491kg MTPLM caravan as you've bought, you need a car with a MAXIMUM gross weight of 2009kg, that's about 1500kg depending on payload - which would mean towing at almost 100% which isn't good for beginners.
You need the +E on the drivers licence, either if he/she passed the car test before 1998 or by taking the +E towing test - in the absence of that, no-one likes being the bearer of bad news but your caravan is too heavy for beginners.

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349161

• MichaelE
  • Platinum Boarder

The Mondeo would be an excellent choice a very highly rated car and a huge load space.The Titanium X has a huge spec and you couldnt ask for more.Economy is very good solo but expect around the 28-30 mpg towing.
The cars kerbweight is around the 1600kgs mark so weight wise with your van fully loaded you are around the 90% mark.

Im not sure why the question on the car being underpowered as it is a 140 bhp engine with around 230 torque, this is an exremely good engine.

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349162

• xtrailman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • xtrailman

I tow at 91% but i have been towing for a long time now.
My best towing experience was my first caravan, were the car was a lot heavier, probably 80% ratio.
The CC and NCC recommend towing at 85% or below if a beginner, so really it depends on yourself whether or not you ignore the advise.
175ps Mazda CX-5 with AWD & 420NM at 2K revs.
Towing a 2011 Unicorn Valencia.

HELP NEEDED 2 years 2 months ago #349163

• emmerson
  • Platinum Boarder

I'm afraid I must agree with Roger: the caravan is too big for a first - timer, but I didin't like to discourage the OP! I did hint in my previous post that a Mondeo is not the right car.

It's better in a Royale!

Follow us on