Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376003

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 322

Hi Everyone
I tow my caravan with a '55' Sorento.  It is a cracking tow car but rust is starting to raise its head underneath.  So far I have found no mention of what follows on this Forum - so I thought I would share the following:
I guess that some of you will be aware that Kia started a FREE rework programme about 6 months ago in the UK for one particular aspect - the Rear Axle Trailing Arm Mounting Brackets.  In brief there is a design problem causing the brackets to rust away.  
There is no RECALL but Kia UK Main Dealers are very helpfully either modifying the brackets, or replacing them, cleaning the axle and reprotecting the axle FREE.
I recommend that if this topic is new to you and your car has not been actioned yet by Kia, that it is asap. - ideally before this Winter.
WARNING: MINE LOOKED GOOD UNDERNEATH LAST NOVEMBER - THIS SPRING IT LOOKED AWFUL – WITH FLAKY PASTRY, PAINT MISSING AND EXTENSIVE RUST - PLEASE DO NOT BE COMPLACENT.
I have had mine done without the brackets being replaced BUT, this is potentially a serious matter if left, because a current Poll is suggesting that up to 40% of 1st Generation Sorentos have had to have new metal.  This matter should not be left because in the worst case, it has been known for the axle housing to rust right through and drop its oil.

All that needs to be done is to ring your local Kia Main Dealer armed with your VIN No.  Do not worry if your car has not been near one for a while - as far as I know, no UK owner has ever been refused the rework by Kia.
TO FIND YOUR LOCAL KIA DEALERSHIP CLICK ON THIS LINK: www.kia.co.uk/find-a-dealer.aspx?gclid=CMPe84zE17kCFTMftAodaD4Awg

TO LEARN ALL ABOUT THE TECHNICAL SIDE WITH PICS, CLICK ON THIS LINK: kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10315/re...-read-important ;
For sharing, it would be very helpful if owners on this Practical Caravan Forum could take part in the following Poll to better determine the true extent of the problem.
HERE IS THE VOTING LINK: kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10853/poll-extent-rear-axle-corrosion
(Signing Up to the site to be able to Vote is FREE and there are no strings)

I hope that Members of this Practical Caravan Forum find this post useful.

Any problems or questions - please post me and I will do my best to answer.
Thank you.

Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Parksy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kate Taylor

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376004

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26

Bogwort,
whilst not now owning a Sorento I share you views that they are great cars, and Kia have dealt with this rust issue in a very professional way. A most useful post to other Sorento owners.
2014 Subaru Forester carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376005

• HenryB1
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Bogwart. Many thanks my 58 Sorento is in local garage for a service and MOT. I have a recall re brake switch so have to go to Kia dealer shortly and will speak to them about rear suspension.
Bailey Pegasus IV Rimini and Kia Sorento Auto (58) XS

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376006

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 350

Well done Bogwort

I was a lucky one. Thanks to the Sorento Forum I took my 05 to Kia. I've had her from new and at 118k miles no quibble in fixing things.
Generally not too rusty so just a brush and spray up. However if she rusts badly in say the next 5 years it will be interesting to see what Kia say. 
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376007

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26

DUsty Dog if  its sound now then an annual wash down and spray with Dinitrol or Waxoyl will keep it going forever. 
2014 Subaru Forester carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376008

• bogwort47
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Hi Everyone
Thanks for the feedback - very much appreciated.
Please spread the word to any other Sorento Owners you come across - where this is not a recall there still seem to be a lot of us out there who are not aware yet.
Thanks again

bogwort47

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 4 months ago #376009

• RogerL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50

The Hyundai/Kia Motor Group are building excellent reputations for out-of-warranty work, in some cases on cars over 10 years old, in addition to their long initial warranties - in complete contrast to European manufacturers who wash their hands of any problems once the short initial warranty has run out.
Hyundai Santa Fe + Lunar Clubman ES

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 3 months ago #376010

• bogwort47
  • Junior Boarder

Hi Everyone

3rd Report on the Poll Results.

This report has now been published here:

http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10853/poll-extent-rear-axle-corrosion?page=2#ixzz2jiYhhR43

The Poll seeks to determine how extensive the need for the Rear Axle
Trailing Arm Upper Bracket replacement is.  Kia UK are running a FREE repair programme for all approx.
17,000 1st Generation Sorentos.

In the limit, Trailing Arms break free from the rear axle and the axle
case can rust through and then drop its oil.

Whether this is new to you, your vehicle is awaiting action or it has
already been repaired/modified by Kia, the link above will take you to all you
should need to know.

THIS IS NOT A RECALL
OWNERS MUST CONTACT A KIA MAIN DEALER TO GET ACTION.

Finally, if you have not already cast your vote in the Poll please can
you do so as soon as you know what is to be done to your car.

Many thanks.

bogwort47

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 3 weeks ago #376012

• bogwort47
  • Junior Boarder

Hi Everyone

UPDATE: UK Gen 1 Kia Sorento 2002 - 2009/10, Rear Axle Trailing Arm Bracket Corrosion Poll etc.

HEADLINES:

1.  Cars with New Brackets or Rear Axle Casings - Kia appear not to require Holes in the Brackets per the TSB – Get them drilled & re-protected or expect problems from 5 Years hence.  More info: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10690/rear-axle-suspension-recall?page=4&scrollTo=66435

2.  Only 83 out of 1068 Members who have been On Line, on the UK Sorento Forum, have reported their actions on the Poll.  This leaves 983 Members who appear to be ‘unconcerned’ – Please cast you vote to show that Sorento Owners are responsible people: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion?page=2&scrollTo=66422

3.  2 in 5 Cars need New Brackets – 1 in 20 New Rear Axle Casings – Cars as young as 5 Years Old have needed a New Axle Casing or Brackets – rotting out in less than 12 Months after an MOT.

4.  9 Months after the TSB was Issued:  Pro rata, of the  ~17,000 Sorentos affected by the Bracket Problem, over 15,000 appear to remain to be actioned by Kia.  With 45% of cars needing new metal – is it just a matter of time before there is a nasty accident?

For All The Latest Information: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/

bogwort47

Kia Sorento, 1st Generation, Rear Axle Bracket Rust - Important 3 years 3 weeks ago #376011

• bogwort47
  • Junior Boarder

Hi Everyone

UPDATE: UK Gen 1 Sorento Rear Axle Trailing Arm Bracket Corrosion Poll etc.
1.  Current Headlines:
i) An owner has reported both brackets failing on the road recently. The Link below will take you to the post.  We need more owners to come forward and make reports to VOSA if this is ever to become a Recall in the future.

ii)  A Continuation Poll has now been posted on the extent of this problem after the premature closure of the 1st Poll.

iii)  The above Link also contains a Consolidated Report from both Polls; it is planned to update it from time to time.

iv)  There is a growing body of opinion that the Motor Industry ‘Benchmark’ standard, being set by e.g. Nissan, to go to a Recall on a safety related problem before there is serious injury or death ought to be norm now, as opposed to the UK VOSA nominal ‘requirement’ for there to be attributable serious injury or death first.

2.  The full situation can be found through this Link: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion.

This post will take you to everything the host Forum knows about this problem at this time.

If this topic is new to you this is ‘Essential Reading’ because it still appears that there are more owners not aware of it than those who are taking it seriously.

The choice is the reader’s.  Sit back and do nothing and wait for the ’Pigs to Fly’ or get involved and do your bit.  To Vote, just sign up - it is Free with no strings.

Together we are stronger.

Thank you to all who have voted and those who have yet to vote.

UPDATE: UK Gen 1 Kia Sorento 2002 - 2009/10, Rear Axle Trailing Arm Bracket Corrosion Poll etc.

HEADLINES:

1.  Cars with New Brackets or Rear Axle Casings - Kia appear not to require Holes in the Brackets per the TSB – Get them drilled & re-protected or expect problems from 5 Years hence.  More info: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/10690/rear-axle-suspension-recall?page=4&scrollTo=66435

2.  Only 83 out of 1068 Members who have been On Line, on the UK Sorento Forum, have reported their actions on the Poll.  This leaves 983 Members who appear to be ‘unconcerned’ – Please cast you vote to show that Sorento Owners are responsible people: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/thread/11187/contd-poll-extent-rear-corrosion?page=2&scrollTo=66422

3.  2 in 5 Cars need New Brackets – 1 in 20 New Rear Axle Casings – Cars as young as 5 Years Old have needed a New Axle Casing or Brackets – rotting out in less than 12 Months after an MOT.

4.  9 Months after the TSB was Issued:  Pro rata, of the  ~17,000 Sorentos affected by the Bracket Problem, over 15,000 appear to remain to be actioned by Kia.  With 45% of cars needing new metal – is it just a matter of time before there is a nasty accident?
  For All The Latest Information: http://kiasorento.proboards.com/

bogwort47

Follow us on