Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: what towing car ?

what towing car ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #424774

• sydney77
  • Fresh Boarder
hi everyone, i have just purchased a sterling europa 620 twin axle yr 2007. it was going to be delivered to the caravan site and its storage compound where we would of used it for about 6 weeks of the year but would like to use it alot more so have decided to tow instead. the problem is i need to change my car now as the caravan is heavier ( laden1615 kg), has anyone got any suggestions for car to buy, or even panel van, i cant afford range rovers etc lol.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by sydney77.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

what towing car ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #424780

• woodsieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Shogun

what towing car ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #424784

• Mogwyth
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
What sort of budget do you have and what else do you want it to do?

what towing car ? 1 month 4 weeks ago #424785

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 163
Older Sante Fe, Kia Sorento, Nissans . The weight of your caravan if you want to tour, you need a heavier tug, where you can also carry the load of the extras, .
Hutch
The site must be around here somewhere.????
2014, Sante Fe, 2013 Coachman, 560, VIP, Woburn Sands , Milton Keynes
Sir Were-Rabbit.
On a Chair, at the Woosie, Round Table.

what towing car ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #424792

• saint-spoon
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 54
Kerb weight is important, you need to try and find a tug that has sufficient kerb weight, the general guidance if for the fully laden caravan to be no more than 85% of the kerb weight of the car. All of the cars listed by the Number-plate above should be fine for you.
Hyundia Santa FE 2.2 CRDI 4x4 tugging an Adria altea 552 Tamar... just the wife, the organic alarm clocks (kids) and myself.

what towing car ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #424794

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
I would go for a Kia Sorento as it will have no problem handling that caravan. There are some very well looked after Sorento's with sensible mileages on them at prices well below Shogun, Disco etc, and whats more they are reliable. We had an 04 and did 70k miles without any trouble whatsoever. In around 55 or 56 reg the power went up to just over 160bhp compared to the earlier 138bhp, but even the 138bhp has oodles of torque. One thing to look out for is the rear chassis area around the spare wheel. Some cars had corrosions issues, but KIA have dealt with it well out of warranty, and any car not inspected can be taken to a Kia dealership for checking and remedial work if required.

Between £4-£7k will get a really nice example. In fact my wife has her eye on one near to us so that we can perhaps buy a larger caravan in the spring.
2014 Subaru Forester carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by otherclive.

what towing car ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #424834

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 85
Pretty much covered I think, you won't go far wrong with any of those suggestions. I think the only one I can add to the list is the Terracan. No better than Shoguns, older Sorrento's, Terrano's and Pathfinders etc just a different one to put in the mix.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2013 Isuzu Dmax
Sir Outnumbered WC (4:1)

what towing car ? 1 month 5 days ago #425471

• Kwaked
  • Fresh Boarder
If you're not going to be towing much and don't have the space or money to run a second car it's a tough choice.

I have a 2007 Sterling Elite Searcher, a little bit heavier by the looks of a quick search.

Initially we looked at Shoguns, but i struggled to find a good one to be honest.
8 out of 10 had really bad rust problems (over the rear wheel arch specifically) others had diffs on the way out, others had been absolutely trashed off-road.

After too many test drives the thought of using one of these tanks as my daily mode of transport made me miserable.
Tried a few other large 4x4's but came to the same result/conclusion.

Ended up looking for car i thought i would enjoy driving daily and would be sufficient to tow.

In the end i bought a 2007 335s coupe.

It has towed the caravan from the UK to Greece and now around Greece, i've not had any problems and on the plus side it brings a smile to my face when i drive it without the caravan attached :)

So for some of us it's about compromise rather than buying the biggest/heaviest car.
Not saying i'm right (or wrong) but it might be something worth thinking about as you don't NEED a big 4x4 to tow a caravan

what towing car ? 1 month 5 days ago #425472

• MichaelE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Kwaked wrote:
If you're not going to be towing much and don't have the space or money to run a second car it's a tough choice.

I have a 2007 Sterling Elite Searcher, a little bit heavier by the looks of a quick search.

Initially we looked at Shoguns, but i struggled to find a good one to be honest.
8 out of 10 had really bad rust problems (over the rear wheel arch specifically) others had diffs on the way out, others had been absolutely trashed off-road.

After too many test drives the thought of using one of these tanks as my daily mode of transport made me miserable.
Tried a few other large 4x4's but came to the same result/conclusion.

Ended up looking for car i thought i would enjoy driving daily and would be sufficient to tow.

In the end i bought a 2007 335s coupe.

It has towed the caravan from the UK to Greece and now around Greece, i've not had any problems and on the plus side it brings a smile to my face when i drive it without the caravan attached :)

So for some of us it's about compromise rather than buying the biggest/heaviest car.
Not saying i'm right (or wrong) but it might be something worth thinking about as you don't NEED a big 4x4 to tow a caravan
You may want to look at the towing limit of the 335s coupe( i presume you didn't mean the diesel as they didn't introduce this until 2008) as the BMW 3 series coupe have a low towing limit if my memory serves me correctly is around 1700kgs?
Your van has a Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (Kg) - 1790 so i think you may find you are breaking the law?
Last Edit: 1 month 5 days ago by MichaelE.

what towing car ? 1 month 5 days ago #425473

• Kwaked
  • Fresh Boarder
MichaelE wrote:
You may want to look at the towing limit of the 335s coupe( i presume you didn't mean the diesel as they didn't introduce this until 2008) as the BMW 3 series coupe have a low towing limit if my memory serves me correctly is around 1700kgs?
Your van has a Maximum Technical Permissible Laden Mass (Kg) - 1790 so i think you may find you are breaking the law?

Hi Michael,

Aye sorry, slip of the finger there, it's a 335d.

Max tow limit for the car is a noggin over 1800kg
The van has a MTPLM of 1815kg

We've done thousands of miles towing, from long motorway drags to twisty mountain roads over the alps, the combo has been faultless.

I'm not saying it's a perfect for everyone, but there is absolutely no way i'd drive anything bigger on a daily basis just for the tiny percentage i tow.

Really not a fan of 4x4's, expensive to run and terrible to drive on the road, so for me personally it is a compromise i'm willing to take.

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Bailey Pegasus Ancona review – 1 - The five-berth Bailey Pegasus Ancona has an MTPLM of 1475kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman Vision 630 review – 1 - The twin-axle Coachman Vision 630 is new for 2017 and has an MTPLM of 1669kg (© Nigel Hutson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Compass Capiro 530 review – 1 - The new-for-2017 Compass Capiro 530 has an MTPLM of 1421kg (© Peter Baber/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Challenger 645 review – 1 - The 2017 Swift Challenger 645 has an MTPLM of 1635kg and a 160kg payload (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on