Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tyres 4x4 owners.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425800

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 114
Question really for 4x4 owners, and by that I mean proper ones, not soft roaders.

I will be changing tyres in the near future. The car still has the original tyres on that Mitsubishi fit, namely Dunlop Grandtrek AT20. I find them fairly quiet and civilized and I cant fault them for wear, however they dont feel as comfortable in the wet. Indeed something I have heard from quite a few people that have them on different vehicles.

Im not sure how much faith to put in the label ratings of tyres, i.e. B in the wt, G for fuel etc. So, looking for recomendations. BF Goodrich are looking interesting but they are expensive.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Challenger Hi Style 524.
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425803

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 141
Certainly have had the BF Goodrich before and they were fine. I've had other mid road/off road tyres that have done all we want to do, don't do heavy off roading just pull the van off muddy rally fields/cl's and the like. The current tyres that came on the D-Max are Bridgestone Dueler H/T when it was new are hopeless on wet grass and can't wait to change them when the time comes. Could take a while as we've only just turned 16k in over three years.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2013 Isuzu Dmax
Sir Outnumbered WC (4:1)

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425804

• Gagakev
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182
Thingy wrote:
Question really for 4x4 owners, and by that I mean proper ones, not soft roaders.

I will be changing tyres in the near future. The car still has the original tyres on that Mitsubishi fit, namely Dunlop Grandtrek AT20. I find them fairly quiet and civilized and I cant fault them for wear, however they dont feel as comfortable in the wet. Indeed something I have heard from quite a few people that have them on different vehicles.

Im not sure how much faith to put in the label ratings of tyres, i.e. B in the wt, G for fuel etc. So, looking for recomendations. BF Goodrich are looking interesting but they are expensive.

Hi Thingy nice to see you back, I have two of these Avon Ranger on the rear, will be putting them on the front when it's time to change.
I was warned of road noise but went ahead and to be honest I dont have any problem with them. They have the M+S symbol for Mud and snow.
Sir Gagakev WC (3 BAR)

Shogun Equippe3.2DTi tugging Fleetwood Symphony Sonata

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425808

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
Havent really been away, I just go fallow in the winter. Talking caravans makes me want to go, and madam wont budge at this time of year unless its a hotel.

Thanks chaps. The Avons dont seem to do a size for mine, what size are yours Kev? They look to be around £65 a corner, where as the Goodrich coming out at £190. My size is 265/65/18.

I know what you mean Martin, the Duellers are another one that have had similar reports to the Dunlop in the wet.

My other options are Cooper and General Grabber at the moment. On my last Shogun, you may recall the story of having to buy Continental Snow Tyres in Austria in 32 degrees of September sunshine. Glad that car has gone, I have never seen tyres wear so fast.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425811

• Gagakev
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182
The Avon Ranger ATT is a Touring All Season tyre, mine are 265/65/17
And yes have looked on there site for sizes and the 18 are not listed, sorry to get your hopes up!!!
Sir Gagakev WC (3 BAR)

Shogun Equippe3.2DTi tugging Fleetwood Symphony Sonata

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425821

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
Thats the problem, whilst not an oddball size, its one that a lot of manufacturers dont do in AT or M+S, and there are far more budget tyres than premium ones available.

I dont do a deal of offroad at all, but pulling the van of muddy sites, as with the Duellers, I found the Dunlops lacking.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425827

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 350
For towing I still use my LWB 1997 2.8 Pajero and although the tyres I use fall within the 4x4 budget category the Runway Enduro is for me a good all round 4x4 tyre.
On a previous SWB Paj I had BF Goodrich all round and although they might be fine for mud plugging I couldn't entirely trust them on wet ring road tarmac.
I don't do serious off-roading, but with the four wheel drive engaged I've pulled many a motorhome as well as cars hooked up to caravans off muddy fields with no hassle and the Runway Enduro's are stable and provide good grip on all surfaces in all weathers with or without the t/a caravan on the towball, with good wear and no undue noise.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425830

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting what you say about the BFGs. According to the label the Wet Grip rating is much higher than the Dunlops that I dont like. This revisits my comment about how much faith can you put in those labels?

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425839

• woodsieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Our Shogun came with Yokahamas and at first change replaced with same most recent change was offered Cooper Discoverer AT cost 75.00 each fitted and so far very pleased,good handling low noise and seem to be deep tread, our size is 265 70 16 so not sure whether they are available in your size,.

Tyres 4x4 owners. 2 months 4 weeks ago #425840

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 445
The labelling of tyres was a step forward in so far it provides a system of comparison. What I don't know is who carries out the testing, and if all tests are truly comparable, but like the Caravan Industries 85% guidance it's better than nothing, but far from perfect.

I am certain that the way a tyre performs is significantly affected by the vehicle they are fitted too and the driver. If you want evidence of this just look at Formula 1 where for the last few years it's been a one make tyre for all teams.

Now admittedly F1 is working as close to the limits as you can get, but it must be the case that the vehicle will affect the way a tyre performs, so whilst a tyre may get a ringing endorsement in one test, it may not fare so well in another where different vehicles are used.

However it's likely that a tyre that stops well in the wet will do so for all the vehicles it's used on, And tread patterns that perform well in mud will do for all vehicles.

Where the differences may start to show, is in rates of ware which can be vehicle and temperature specific, grip in high speed maneuvers. Noise which whilst will be tyre dependant, is also car dependant on how much noise is transmitted back through the suspension and running gear. Tyre size and profile will also affect handling and performance.

You must not also forget that as the tead on a tyre is worn away, it will reduce its ability to shift water so grip and stopping distances will deteriorate over time.

So this brings us back the the labels, Providing the testing has been consistent, then they are probably better than relying on recommendations from other drivers where the vehicle is different.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 554

£15,599

The Practical Caravan Xplore 554 review – 1 - The new-for-2017 Xplore 554 is aimed at couples and has a 1335kg MTPLM (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - A Continental van with its door on the UK nearside, shows that Knaus is committed to wooing British caravanners – does it work with the StarClass 480? (© Peter Baber/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Basecamp review – 1 - This graphics package was a £795 option, and there are plenty others to choose from (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Quasar 674 review – 1 - The Lunar Quasar 674 has a 1530kg MTPLM and a front locker that will accommodate a pair of gas bottles plus other touring paraphernalia (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on