Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: DPF regeneration

DPF regeneration 1 week 5 days ago #426203

• pitpony
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Just had to have the car in the workshops to have the DPF regenerated which is not covered by warranty, the bloke who had the car before me did all the mileage just chugging around the lanes of Norfolk, my pont is any one ever used any of the DPF additives that you can put in the fuel , Happy New year to you all, :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

DPF regeneration 1 week 5 days ago #426204

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 331
The Vauxhall Astra we had occasionally put up the DPF warning light when we had been driving around the town with no long distance journeys. The remedy to clean the filter was to continue driving up and down the local unrestricted dual carriageway until the warning light went out. Took about 6 miles to do the cleaning/regeneration.
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (NKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426206

• intransient1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 19
This is the curse of modern diesels.
Ford and Vauxhall seem to have the worst problems, my Kuga decided to go into limp mode while on a 4000 mile european holiday which happened the day after climbing up mountain passes at high revs for 30 plus miles so it should have burnt off any particles.
still a 10 mile run without the van in tow in fourth gear and 4000 rpm cleared it.
If you add in the EGR as well modern diesels should be cleaner, but now campaigners want us to change from diesel to petrol because of pollution especially in big cities where the most polluting vehicles are busses and taxi's as can be seen on Oxford Street in London which apparently is the most polluted street in the country.
Can't really see public transport changing to petrol engines.
Intransient1
2014 Kuga, Lunar Ultima.
Don't dream of living, live your dreams.

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426207

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
When we sold our caravan in March 2014 I was also glad to see the back of a 2010 XC70 D5. I never actually had problem with the DPF regenerating but did have sensor failure so drove over 100 miles on a dark winters night in limp mode. But the D5 with DPF uses extra fuel injected on the exhaust stroke to aid regeneration which had the problem of finding its way into the sump oil and leading to an increase in sump level. This was on a brand new car carefully run in, and not used on short hops. So Volvos answer was to issue a modification that recommended only filling the sump to half full, and then modifying the software such that the electronic oil level sensor would show the sump as full when it checked sump levels. Then if the sump level rose the system would alarm when it reached what was the original full level. Checking the oil level by hand was possible using technicians dipstick sited well down in the engine which couldn't be accessed until the engine was cool.So I wasn't happy about the possibility of running with the lub oil potentially diluted with dieso. Hence when the caravan went so did the Xc70 too. The replacement Subaru was chosen to be a petrol, non turbo and no touch screens anywhere, and with good reliability and safety too. But like all plans things change and we decided to buy another van last September, which is being changed tomorrow for something a bit more conventional. So I guess some ear defenders will be required as the 2.0 litre Boxer revs up. Perhaps a transplant from the WRX might help!!

Regarding the future of diesels for cars at the recent US 2017 car show the mainstream manufacturers all reckon that by 2025 the majority of their car output will be petrol and petrol-electric. Looking at what VAG are starting to put out then there should be no problems towing power-wise and torque-wise if the cars themselves are type approved for towing
2014 Subaru Forester carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by otherclive.

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426208

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
My VW Passat 170 DSG has a DPF, and its a real pain. and its one major factor in my thinking about replacement cars.

Most of my journeys are less than 8 miles, a significant proportion are limited to 20 and 30mph zones, and the rest typically 50mph. The engine barely gets a chance to get to full working temperature, and as a consequence the car goes into a DPF regeneration cycle every couple of hundred miles.

This cycle is not displayed on the instrument, panel but is detectable by the engine refusing to change up until the revs exceed about 2250 rpm, and both on idle and when using the cruise control the engine has small surges which you feel. When this starts to happen, I try to do at least 20min run in 4th ot 5th with the engine revs between 4250 and 4500, which rather defeats the purpose of going to a diesel for fuel economy.

On a couple of occasions when I have been trapped on 30 mph roads and the regen has started, the DPF light has come on after a few miles, but Ive been able to clear it by deliberately doing a high speed run as above.

On one occasion and despite doing the normal regen the condition did deteriorate, and the car went into limp home. Even doing a sustained 40min run didn't clear it, and I had to go to a garage for them to reset the fault and get it out of limp home. It needed about an hours run to get it regenerated.

Its a problem that mars what in most other respects is a fine car. and its an issue that is colouring my thinking about my next possible car.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426209

• pitpony
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
The use of my Qashqai is very similar to the Prof with more often than not just going in to town till we start to go away with the caravan, after speaking to the service chap this morning he said it is a good thi9ng to add the DPF additive every two month but the additive I added this morning says every three thousand miles which in my case would be twice a year, so it is back on the bike for my trips in to town to the bookies,

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426210

• KeefySher
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
An 'Itallian tune up' always works well, be it on a DPF or non diesel. If ever required, particularly for an MOT have always taken the car for a ITU on the nearby motorway, on at 1 junction, to next, turnaround and return at motorway speed and if necessary holding a lower gear. The old MH used to have no detectable emissions at MoT time after the ITU :evil: An ITU once a month is possible for most users, surely; and it must pay dividends over the long term.

If a vehicle is required for pootling round town is it to worth getting a small town car? We used to run a MH, a 4x4 and a large saloon car. We now have a large diesel tow car with a 3litre V6 that we use for the non town journeys, and a Fiat 500C for use as the town car. Small enough to park in any space, good gas mileage as the yanks say and only £30 VED to boot. Round here the Fiat 500 are very popular as 2nd cars. Ours is probably the best car we've ever owned, overall. For it's age it's in remarkable condition, fits us in, great in the sunshine with the roof down. OK it can't tow, but the S Klasse fulfils that role, and more.

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426219

• Keefanmaxx
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Like VW, my Antara has a DPF that self regenerates about every 500 miles. As for needing an 'italian tune up' .... no need as such but we do make sure it gets a decent run every few weeks.
Caravanning ...... it can't be that difficult ...... can it?

Vauxhall Antara pulling a Bailey Ranger GT60 510/4 .... Lovely!!

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426220

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
KeefySher wrote:
... An ITU once a month is possible for most users, surely; and it must pay dividends over the long term...

I certainly can and do a fast run, but it always grates that such a process is necessary in addition to normal usage. I do think car manufacturers have deliberately played down the necessity and the impact of this necessary activity before a customer chooses a vehicle.

There is also another aspect of this which I have not been able to verify, but if the DPF is working, it collects the particulate matter. This is good as it has prevented it being discharged, but then during the regeneration,the stored particulate matter is effectively discharged into the atmosphere - just in a different place to where it was created!
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

DPF regeneration 1 week 4 days ago #426223

• KeefySher
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Keefanmaxx wrote:
Like VW, my Antara has a DPF that self regenerates about every 500 miles. As for needing an 'italian tune up' .... no need as such but we do make sure it gets a decent run every few weeks.

Is a decent run every few weeks not an itallian tune up?? :S

I recall on my first DPF car the manual said 20 miles at a constant 50mph once a month would suffice. I prefer 12 miles at motorway speed once a month!!! :evil: About 10 minutes and a third of a gallon of diesel once a month if required, which is not often in my case as I do sufficient mileage.

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Bailey Pegasus Ancona review – 1 - The five-berth Bailey Pegasus Ancona has an MTPLM of 1475kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman Vision 630 review – 1 - The twin-axle Coachman Vision 630 is new for 2017 and has an MTPLM of 1669kg (© Nigel Hutson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Compass Capiro 530 review – 1 - The new-for-2017 Compass Capiro 530 has an MTPLM of 1421kg (© Peter Baber/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Challenger 645 review – 1 - The 2017 Swift Challenger 645 has an MTPLM of 1635kg and a 160kg payload (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on