Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Can't tow, won't tow

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298009

I HATE TOWING! just don't like it, just so stressfull, can't be bothered.

We've got to take the van to France when we move there, Stockport to the bottom of the Indre, oh the joys of caravanning, love being in it, just don't want to tow it, i've done it twice before, didn't think i'd need to do it again, don't want to, want someone to do it for me.

I'll stop moaning now.

Martin.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298010

Hi Martin, what do you find sterssful about towing ?

Keep working the unemployed need there benifits

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298011

The state of the roads, I probably worry too much, my discovery isn't the best at towing, it's 12 years old and a bit wobbly and I don't like going down the steep french hills.

Martin.

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298012

I understand, the reason I ask is that a mate of mine was in the same boat as you he really loved being away in his van, as did the rest of the family, but he hated any journey with the van in tow. In the end he gave up vanning as whenever he towed he was a nervous wreck at the end of the treck all be it a couple of hours down the road.

Keep working the unemployed need there benifits

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298013

• divider
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Martin,

my friend feels the same way as you,as i said to him plan trip properly ie loading hitching etc, and take your time. Dont feel pressurised by people behind you, as for the steep hills leave plenty of room in front of you and start the descent at slow speed and maitain it, all the best.

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298014

That's just how I am, paranoid about every wobble and bump. I recently moved it from one storage place to another to save me a 5 mile tow, barmy.

Martin.

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298015

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Martin. I understand. The prospect of towing terrifies me; irrational but no less scary. Fortunately OH does the towing. Some thoughts. Why not trade van in for a static or a motorhome. Or do you have a mate who you could pay in money, beer or a free holiday in France to tow it down for you?

mel.
Lady mel

may the road rise up to meet you
may the wind be always at your back...

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298016

• Lutz
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would recommend going on a caravan towing course where one learns to recognise which "wobbles and bumps" are signs of potential instability and how to react properly if they do occur.
Lexus RX400h
Dethleffs Beduin 545V

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298017

• ValA.
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Have you got a stabiliser - it really does cut out some of the pitching and tossing, and makes the caravan feel so much more stable. I didn't like towing either, but the more you do it the more confident you get.

As Lutz says, take a towing course, and then practice on the roads you know. When you feel more comfortable there, take a trip to somewhere you've not been before, and when it all goes wonderfully well you'll be much less apprehensive about taking the van to France.

If none of this works perhaps a post in the 'Camping Abroad' section might come up with someone who could help - - obviously with the right insurance, for car, caravan, etc.???!!

Can't tow, won't tow 3 years 9 months ago #298018

Hi Martin,

Do you have to take your current van? There was a discussion recently elsewhere on the forum and someone pointed out that it is extremely difficult to register older vans in France. Have you considered selling it here (try eBay - I got a really good price for a 23 year old van there) and replacing it once you have moved?

Jo

Gone and done it! Now retired and planning to sell up and move to France.

Follow us on