Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Towing mirrors - advice please

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 9 months ago #43608

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi

I have a pair of towing mirrors which are held on the wing mirrors with rubber straps. They wern't expensive (about £13 from an internet site for the pair). The problem is I can see perfectly well out of the drivers side towing mirror but not the offside. No matter how I position the towing mirror on the offside, the towing mirror is never right and I end up using the car's wing mirror which is not satisfactory. (Tow vehicle is Mondeo).

Any suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Lisa.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 9 months ago #43609

• Janey1
  • Expert Boarder
Think you might be a wee bit disorientated in your post. Normally your driver's side is your offside unless your car is left hand drive.

Personally, if you can see a reasonable degree of field from your normal mirror on the nearside, I wouldn't worry too much. The main use for them is to see vehicles as you pass, and vehicles joining you on a motorway. However, do keep fitting it just to keep the thought police happy. I also have at least one of the 4 mirrors at each side watching the wheels, so I can see a blowout just that little bit quicker, plus as I tow with a Volvo I can see if the side lights are still on, and so know the rest of the lights should be ok.

As a caravanner you will of course, be driving with more care and attention and will more than likely see the idiots before they see you.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 9 months ago #43610

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your reply. I must have got the sides mixed up with riding a horse, you mount on the nearside and the otherside is the offside, if you get my drift.

Many thanks.

Lisa.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 9 months ago #43611

• mcghee
  • Platinum Boarder
Part of the problem with the type of mirror you have is that they tend not to extend quite far enough, so you can see the front corner of your van,but you can't see past it. Also, they tend to vibrate a bit making rearward vision in the dark almost impossible. I know this because I too have these mirrors. But for 13quid what do you want?

there are two ways to have enough. one is to accumulate more. the other is to desire less.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 9 months ago #43612

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder
Part of the problem with the type of mirror you have is that they tend not to extend quite far enough, so you can see the front corner of your van,but you can't see past it. Also, they tend to vibrate a bit making rearward vision in the dark almost impossible. I know this because I too have these mirrors. But for 13quid what do you want?
Thanks. I'll go with Scotch Lad's response and keep them.

Lisa

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 8 months ago #43613

• RichardH
  • Expert Boarder
sounds like the same mirrors I have, two rubbers straps on each mirror and so much vibration I thought they were made by ann summers, anyone know of a good way of stopping the vibration and making the mirrors useable?

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 8 months ago #43614

Used Velcro to stop ours moving. We sew two pieces of soft velcro back to back along the length making it double sided. The part to attach it to is the hook side and you take two pieces and just sew one end together. The first piece of double sided velcro is placed tightly onto one piece of the hook velcro and the othe pices goes on top. The soft velcro is sandwiched in between the two pieces of hook velcro and is nearly impossible to just pull apart.

You just have to fit so that wind flow does not peel the end open. This type of fixing is more slip proof than many buckle and strap fixings! I use this system to hold various caravan bits and bobs in place when travelling.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 8 months ago #43615

• LMH
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi

Mine don't vibrate, it's just that I can't position the 'nearside' mirror and get reasonable vision.

Lisa.

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 8 months ago #43616

• GrahamW
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi

Mine don't vibrate, it's just that I can't position the 'nearside' mirror and get reasonable vision.

Lisa.
Lisa

Have you tried changing the batteries?????

Towing mirrors - advice please 8 years 8 months ago #43617

• rob_jax
  • Platinum Boarder
Lisa,

You may also want to look at the type with an arm such as Summit from Halfords (

Most recent caravan reviews

Xplore 526

£14,999

The Practical Caravan 2015 Xplore 526 review - A rakish front panel and sporty graphics lend a fresh look to the 2015 Xplore 526 – read more in the Practical Caravan review (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Sterling Continental 630 review - The sculpted corners and streamlined shape of the Sterling Continental 630 are designed to improve fuel efficiency and stability on tow (© James Mann/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Delta TI review - The Lunar Delta TI's new graphics, spats and alloy wheels look great, but its profile could have been more distinctive (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2015 Coachman VIP 575/4 review - Coachman's VIP 575/4 puts a luxury, island-bad floorplan on a single axle, and does so handsomely – a great option for your caravan holidays (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on