Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: look twice campaign

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45921

• mcghee
  • Platinum Boarder
What about this campaign on telly urging us to look twice at junctions etc for motorbikes? The statistics are apparently that although bikes only make up 1% of road traffic they're involved in 17% of serious or fatal accidents. 50% of these are allegedly caused by drivers failing to see them. So this leads me to believe that 8 1/2% of serious or fatal road accidents are caused in some way by motorcyclists. I'm not saying all motorcyclists are irresponsible, but I can't actually recall the last time I saw a motorcyclist who didn't attract my attention by attempting some outrageous manouver, and I feel just a tiny bit miffed at being expected to think for them so that they can execute their manouvers safely. I'm still waiting for a campaign to stop them squeezing up beside me at the lights and waiting in my blind spot.

there are two ways to have enough. one is to accumulate more. the other is to desire less.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45922

• trucker
  • Platinum Boarder
Craig not all motorcyclists are dangerous as not all car drivers are. I have been both for many years now however its getting that bad in terms of fatalities here in devon Ive decided to hang the helmet up for good (Waitnig for the good weather to sell bike ect) Ive seen some stupid manovers on bikes which make me cringe but at the same time ive seen some even more stupid manovers in cars. .

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45923

• sparkes
  • Platinum Boarder
the remaining %age is caused largely by spilt fuel on the road, and can you guess who causes that?

As for squeezing up beside you? they are legally able to do so. Maybe your mirrors should be modified to remove the blind spot!

As for being miffed at having to think for them? you don't! you are supposed to think if your actions could cause an accident with a bike.

Nice try at a troll but find out the facts before you post!

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45924

• Steve L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Craig, Im a driver of motorcycle's cars and trucks and to be quite honest there are good and bad in all catagories.

Having had a serious bike accident and had to learn to walk again I guess I was a lucky one. (black ice and deceleration don't mix)

But what I see going on now on Sunday mornings is realy stupid.

The sunday motorcyclist's come out my way in there droves to take the A44 to Aberystwith and back, just because it is the number two road for the most curves per mile. I even see guys in hedge rows on certain twisty bits with vidieo camera's in hand to film their pals doing stupid speeds round the corners just to boost the ego for the need for speed.

In my home town every sunday is the same. from about 8am onwards all you can hear in the summer on a sunday is the wail of yet another ambulance dashing to yet another motorist who has driven to fast or carelessly.

I love speed like the next guy and have driven Lotus elise, Jag XJR, Aston Martin vanquish and DB9R just to name a few. But all were on the track and well away from the uk roads.

I must admit the first time I saw the look twice add it shocked me as it gave me a flshback to my accident, but it does make you think.

Steve.

ATB TTFN Steve L.
Swift Challenger 450/5s & X type Jaguar estate 2.0 D
Ex Fulltime caravanner and loving every day. Appologies in advance if what I say offends but free speech is the heart of good debate. 

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45925

• RogerL
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
Craig, your statistical interpretation doesn't make sense.

There are many reasons for motorcyclists receiving serious or fatal injuries. That 50% of these are caused by other drivers simply failing to see them is appalling. If just one cause outweighs or matches all the other causes, then something really must be done.

You're not being asked to think FOR them, you're being ask to SEE them, like you would a larger vehicle, and don't pull out in front of them.

Get off your soap-box, remember that we caravanners are the most hated group of all road users!

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45926

hi anything that makes the roads a little safer is worth a few seconds of your time. peter

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45927

• sparkes
  • Platinum Boarder
ruiner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/howclose.mpg

Watch that and then tell me that you honestly think this campaign is a bad idea.

darrenbourne.co.uk/killspills/

Then read that and work out who is to blame for most of the accidents you say are the fault of the rider.

Then watch a friend of your loose a leg because a lorry driver could not be bothered to check his fuel cap. And then watch the idiot lorry driver turn up at the hospital to try and attack the your friend because the lorry driver is being done for neglect by the police and the bikers insurance company is sueing him.

Them just to add insult to injury, watch the lorry driver claim he is bankrupt and cannot pay compensaion (no he was not insured) that would alow your friend to buy a wheel chair, while he holidays in Florida and buys a new X5 BMW

Sort out your own house before trying to impose your stuck up selfish rules on others!

Sorry K you hit a nerve wit that one!

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45928

• BigRoy
  • Platinum Boarder
" I feel just a tiny bit miffed at being expected to think for them"

Craig you are missing the point, do you really want a dead biker stuck in your drivers door? and also suffer injury to yourself and have to live with the consequences for the rest of your life, you are thinking for yourself as well as the biker.

Speaking as an ex biker this is a huge problem and have lost count of how many times a car has pulled out in front of me and have also lost family and friends to the careless car driver.

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45929

..... so whether its the bikers fault or not they still have a high rate of accidents, that has to be agreed. Those accidents have a high level of deaths or debillitating injuries. This costs not just the riders a lot of suffering/pain if they survive, a loss of earnings and the nation millions in treatment for injuries, rehabilitation and disability benefits. Its a well known saying amongst bikers, "Its not will I have an accident on my bike but when will I have one? " On that score are motor cycles a good mode of transport or not?

“If there is anyone on the forum whom I have not insulted, I apologise profusely. ”

look twice campaign 8 years 7 months ago #45930

• MarkG.
  • Senior Boarder
Craig,

Why do you have a problem with motorbikes getting to the front of the jam. If more people took motorbikes to work there wouldn`t be half the jams there are. I travel in on the M40/A40 each day. This journey would only take twenty minutes on a bike but takes an hour by car. Why ? because each car only has one person in and they sit there moaning about motorcyclists. I am a car driver but i`m envious of the motorcyclists and I don`t begrudged them at all getting to their destination a lot quicker. I have to use my vehicle for my job.

I used to ride a motorbike when I was younger, and everyday you could guarantee a car driver would pull out of a side road straight into your path without looking.

Follow us on