Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47815

• tricia1
  • Fresh Boarder
Has anyone experienced the caravan becoming detached from the car whilst towing? This happened to us this week on our first trip with our brand new van. We were not overloaded, the stabiliser was on correctly and we were only travelling at 20mph(fortunately). We were only 1/4 mile from home.
Empty post (likely not intentional - probably an Internet Explorer issue!)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47816

Never had it myself.

But know of others,always the same reason!

It wasn't hitched in the first place.

Sorry Patricia, I guess it is your mistake through lack of experience!

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47817

• CliveV
  • Platinum Boarder
cris - like me you have the tact of an airraid!!! LOL!!

No offence meant.

Hi Patricia - must have been an horendous experience. Presumably you had your safety wire attached to control the thing in such an event?

My wife laughs at me but I always double check the hitch before setting off and pull over after a mile of so on a safe stretch to check again.

I have had a trailer unhitch itself many years oga and I know I attached the thing properly. However when i looked at the thing properly it was full of muck and the handle was very stiff.

I think towing anything is a bit like cutting something - measure three times - cut once.

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47818

Sorry Patricia. But like Clive says, check and check again.

If its a new van I'm pretty sure it will be 100% user error.

But it will not happen again ;-)

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47819

• Viking1
  • Platinum Boarder
Patricia

That must have been a bad thing to have happened to you.

I am not saying that you had not hitch up right but you can check if your hitch up right just by wined down your jockey wheel which should push the back end of the car up only do this a litter bit then do as you would nearly do.

I got show this on a towing cores by the Camp & Caravan.

Mark

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47820

Now then chaps, are we saying that the only way that a caravan can come unhitched from the towball is if it isnt hitched up properly in the first place? I think that I would agree in probably 99% of the time but have heard of this happening before where, supposedly,the hitch came adrift on a new 'van not once, but twice! Is there someone out there that can actually back this up with knowledege/experience of the facts? Lutz maybe?

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47821

• sparkes
  • Platinum Boarder
That would be the same lutz who left for England today on a very long holiday?

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47822

He doesn't have to answer straight away!

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47823

• jacky3
  • Platinum Boarder
All tow hitches rely on a catch under the ball preventing it from becoming detached. The new Alko hitches have a button colour coded red or green which will indicate whether the hitch is correctly attached. I usually also heave up and down on the hitch a few times just to reassure myself.

I accept that if this is all done and the van still becomes detached then something has gone wrong somewhere. Mechanical failure of the hitch is a possibility, but needs to be on the end of the list. It is very unlikely. One possibility is that the hitch has only a limited degree of lateral and vertical movement, if it exceeds this for some road condition then it could be displaced, but again I have to admit not that common. I assume that failure of the ball itself was not an issue, cracks for instance?. Had it been damaged on a previous 'reversal'? Was it the ball connection that separated, or the hitch from the drawbar? That could be a lack of greasing issue.

One can only hope that the safety chain applied the van brakes and the van was not too damaged, and nobody hurt.

CARAVANS BECOMING DETACHED FROM TOWCARS 8 years 2 months ago #47824

An alternative reason that has not been mentioned is that the ball could be of the old 2ins. diameter and the hitch is the new 50mm. diameter. Also Scotch Lad it is unwise to grease a towball when using an Alko hitch as it will affect the pads in the stabilizer.

colin

Follow us on