Peter BaberSee other News articles filed in ‘Caravans’ written by Peter Baber
You’ll see, too, that many items that previously might have been optional extras are now fitted as standard. On the outside that includes an Al-Ko AKS 3004 stabiliser and Al-Ko secure wheel lock receiver, alloy wheels and a sunroof.
Look inside and you’ll find other formerly optional extras as standard, too. This includes a radio/CD/MP3 player with speakers, and an 800kW microwave.
This is all Bailey’s attempt to simplify pricing by removing confusing option packs. The only item that does come as an option now is Al-Ko's ATC trailer control system, although individual dealers have been left to decide whether to include an iNet system with the Truma heater in the final package they offer customers.
No longer budget caravans
Such changes do mean that prices have gone up quite considerably. There is only one caravan in the six-model range – the smallest two-berth, the 400-2 – which is less than £15,000 OTR, coming in at £14,599.
Bailey claims that with all those extras, the Pursuit range can’t really be considered budget any more.
In terms of appearance, the biggest difference is that the vans are now white, not grey.
Other than that, the fronts of the new Bailey Pursuit caravans look relatively unchanged, even with the new standard sunroof. Bailey is using the same Alu-Tech construction as before, with a GRP outer skin on an Al-Ko galvanised chassis.
The bumpers and wheel arch have been updated. In addiion, the rear is less box-like and now almost identical to the Unicorn’s.
The interior of this range of Bailey caravans has also been updated. You get a warm Mendip ash furniture finish and modern-looking Festival upholstery in crimson, blue and pale grey.
The manufacturer is also moving the focus of the range more towards larger families. A new six-berth layout, the 570-6, features one permanent set of rear bunks and a second set that can be made up from a small rear lounge. This layout is similar to the Venus 590/6 and the Swift Challenger 590 or Sterling Eccles 590.
This new Bailey Pursuit 570-6 will make its debut at The Caravan and Motorhome Show, running from 19 to 22 January at Manchester’s EventCity.
The five-berth 540-5 layout has been dropped.
The layout of the 560-5 has changed, so that it is now the same as Bailey’s Pegasus Ancona. That means it has two permanent bunks on the offside at the back, a small dinette on the nearside that can be made into a single bed, and an end washroom. This was the favoured choice for a new layout in the range among Bailey dealers.
The range at a glance
Here's the full 2017 Bailey Pursuit range:
Bailey Pursuit 400-2
- A two-berth with an end washroom.
- Price: £14,599
- MiRO: 965kg
- Payload: 125kg
- MTPLM: 1090kg
Bailey Pursuit 430-4
- A four-berth with twin facing settees at the front and a fixed double in the rear ahead of a full-width rear washroom.
- Price: £15,199
- Berths: 4
- MiRO: 1086kg
- Payload: 146kg
- MTPLM: 1232kg
Bailey Pursuit 530-4
- An extended version of the 430-4, with a larger central kitchen and a full-size sideboard opposite, rather than just a set of shelves.
- Price: £15,999
- Berths: 4
- MiRO: 1237kg
- Payload: 155kg
- MTPLM: 1392kg
Bailey Pursuit 550-4
- This four-berth with two parallel sofas, a central kitchen and two fixed single beds ahead of an end washroom is currently the best-selling model in the Pursuit range.
- Price: £16,199
- Berths: 4
- MiRO: 1236kg
- Payload: 155kg
- MTPLM: 1391kg
Bailey Pursuit 560-5
- New for 2017 is this Pursuit version of the Bailey Pegasus Ancona. It features a parallel lounge, a central kitchen, then fixed bunks and a dinette that doubles up as a single bed, with a rear washroom.
- Price: £16,249
- Berths: 5
- MiRO: 1242kg
- Payload: 165kg
- MTPLM: 1407kg
Bailey Pursuit 570-6
- Due to be unveiled at the Manchester Caravan and Motorhome Show, this is a six-berth with a parallel front lounge, central washroom and kitchen, and a kids’ zone to the rear with fixed bunks and a dinette opposite that can be turned into a second set of bunks.
- Price: £16,499
- Berths: 6
- MiRO: 1280kg
- Payload: 161kg
- MTPLM: 1441kg