Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: All Electric Orion

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349874

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 524

I've just been reading about Bailey's new baby. Why oh why do manufacturers like Bailey ,and I think it was Elddis before, feel the need to reinvent the wheel. No wonder sites are increasing their charges and certainly all electric caravans will do nothing to  help. With no leisure battery I wonder how a mover will work? Touring caravans are just that. Mobile anywhere. Gas and 12 volt are essential imo.
 Bailey say "
This also means that Evo-4 owners will not only be getting a much cheaper tourer, but also a more environmentally friendly product, as it won't have such a big impact on your towcar's petrol consumption. "
They fail to mention the power stations pollutions  and site owners electricty bills
Sorry Bailey, not for me.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349875

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 214

I think it still has some gas fuelled equipment so not entirely electric-or have I made that up .  The all electric Eldis never sold and they gave up on it quite quickly.  I agree with you DD; seems like a blind alley to me.  Baileys development section seems to be in overdrive.  Not produced a slide out yet though?
mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349876

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 524

You're right Lady Mel. It does have gas for the two burner hob.
However I have never seen a gas mover
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349877

• Sproket
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 236

Am I looking at the same van ?
It looks like they have moved the gas locker to the side of the door .
orion-evo-4
Sir Sproket the Aldi bargain hunter

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349878

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 328

For proper caravanners who never have an ehu not worth even thinking about! But yes the CL owners won't like it and then we'd all be paying even more!!!!
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2013 Isuzu Dmax

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1)

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349879

• Sproket
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Member of the Woosie club
  • Thank you received: 236

Don't suppose they will be much fun on a 6amp supply or even less in europe.....

Sir Sproket the Aldi bargain hunter

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349880

• NigelDonnelly

Best thing about it is that it is has silver sides - doesn't show up well in the pictures but it has. I think it really helps the looks and as the sides are GRP, no worries about denting. 

It doesn't have normal heating either - it has a plinth heater like you'd have in a holiday home so I can see the lounge and the washroom being a bit parky in cold weather!

Nigel Donnelly
Former editor in chief...

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349881

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 505
Martin24 wrote:
For proper caravanners who never have an ehu not worth even thinking about! But yes the CL owners won't like it and then we'd all be paying even more!!!!
I can't understand why a manufacturer hasn't developed a new model which utilises solar energy and 12v absorbed glass mat high capacity leisure batteries. Such a caravan could still be used on a conventional pitch with 240v ehu with a couple of built in 240v sockets as normal but with lightweight solar panels, the solar power regulator, power inverters, chargers for cell phones and more 12v sockets built in during the manufacturing process rather than as d-i-y after market add ons.
Greater battery capacity would be more useful than a microwave oven and the caravan would have first class 'green' credentials with no 240v lighting.
The fridge, stove and heater could be run on lpg with no 240v power supply to either and with solar charging there would be a saving because the solar power would keep the battery topped up and there would be less power drawn from the ehu.
Caravan manufacturers could also have a look at incorporating fuel cells which were mentioned by Surfer here to provide 12v power during the hours of darkness and in winter.
The 'all electric' idea has been tried before and didn't look as though it was an unqualified success although as 'proper caravanners' we wouldn't see many of them about anyway.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349882

• NigelDonnelly
Parksy wrote:
I can't understand why a manufacturer hasn't developed a new model which utilises solar energy and 12v absorbed glass mat high capacity leisure batteries. 

Cost.

Cheaper to do what they know *might* sell. Or in the case of the Evo, something which won't, but will get us talking about a 18 month old van in the run up to a major show. I'm sure we'll get a press release after the show about "unprecendented demand for silver Orion" "big success" and rolled out across the whole Orion line-up as a special editon for just £1000 premium"

Nigel Donnelly
Former editor in chief...

All Electric Orion 5 years 7 months ago #349883

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 505

Surely they could have done the same thing using solar technology to boost sales on the Orion or even as a 'concept caravan' for the shows in order to gauge the reaction.
The manufacturer would be adding something to an existing model which could increase it's appeal rather than restrict the caravan to sites with ehu which could limit appeal to some degree.
I'd have thought that a special edition 'green' caravan would have had a greater impact in the non caravan press in terms of publicity and a £1000 special edition premium would more than cover the cost of installing solar tech and good leisure batteries.
One of these days a manufacturer is sure to risk an investment in a mainly solar powered or 'hybrid' caravan.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Airstream Missouri review – 1 - It couldn't be anything else, could it? And Swift's UK-spec Airstreams are approved by the NCC and are CRiS registered, for owners’ peace of mind (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Conqueror 480 review – 1 - The 2018 Conquerors get new graphics, as there are big changes across the Swift Group for the new season (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Lunar Lexon 660 review – 1 - The new-for-2018 Lunar Lexon 660 has an MTPLM of 1625kg (© Peter Baber/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan 2018 Coachman VIP 575 review – 1 - A new aerodynamic bodyshell and graphics are just two improvements to the Coachman VIP range for the 2018 season (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on