Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Lunar Clubman/Lexon

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 5 days ago #450822

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1436
woodsieboy wrote:
My objection is based on the fact that we use an awning with an awning skirt, with the EHU cable on the nearside it has to come in through the awning and is a potential hazard,both trip and electrical,many caravan reviews comment that all the services are on the offside as a positive,I think Bailey are alone in providing hook up on the nearside

I'm sure you would usually be able to bring the cable under the caravan and just have it showing as it rises to the power inlet, thus avoiding a trip hazard, and I'm definitely not convinced there is any greater electrical danger having it in the awning. In fact the additional protection from the weather theh awning will provide at the inlet socket is a reduction of hazard.

I'd suggest there is a greater risk from using a 230V extension cable from inside the caravan into the awning for a light or what ever, as these are not even IP rated.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 4 days ago #450826

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 601
Our Bailey Orion was the same , just in front of the awning entrance but I would take it down and under the caravan and out the other side and up the offside to the point never had a problem with it going through the awning , another way is to running it out place behind your wheel and straight up the near side under the body and out the rear end.
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
Last Edit: 1 year 4 days ago by Craigyoung.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ProfJohnL

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 4 days ago #450827

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 469
Because Bailey have put the batery box in the middle of the floor in most(?) of their recent ranges, lots of them have a near side EHU. It is easy to get used to. We tuck our cable under the awning skirt and out from the back of the van. The thing with Baileys though is the cable just hooks in under a flap, and isn't locked into a battery box. Potentially more nickable. Don't know how it configures on a Lunar.

In terms of manufactures' reputation, all I can say is that we have had 2 Elddis vans. Elddis get worse press on here than anyone, but both our vans were great, never had any damp ( unlike our Swift :( ) or build issues.
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
Last Edit: 1 year 4 days ago by Mel. Reason: Predictive text strikes again
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsieboy, ProfJohnL

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 4 days ago #450832

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 708
Our old Eldiss had the electric hook up on the nearside and it was never a problem. You can run the cable down vertically from the plug and under the skirt and behind to the rear of it or just very close to the front of it. There are a lot of compromises with any caravan and this is not one that would bother me one way or the other. Whichever side it is on it should never be so far out as to be a trip hazard.
Ray
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsieboy, otherclive, ProfJohnL, Craigyoung

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 4 days ago #450842

• woodsieboy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 51
Thank you to everybody who has replied, I cannot agree with you Prof that the hook up, is any more protected in the awning,as Mel says the hook up is under a flap, whereas the battery box type is locked and by its design safe from the weather, it is personal of course and I think the Bailey system provides a risk that i am not willing to take, especially with grandchildren and dogs in the awning at times,add in the front locker issue and Bailey are off our list.
For what it is worth it looks like the Lunar Clubman has the most of what we are looking for, with the least compromise, it won't be perfect but we will hopefully adapt to it as we have with our previous vans.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Lunar Clubman/Lexon 1 year 4 days ago #450843

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1436
woodsieboy wrote:
....I cannot agree with you Prof that the hook up, is any more protected in the awning,as Mel says the hook up is under a flap, whereas the battery box type is locked and by its design safe from the weather, it is personal of course and I think the Bailey system provides a risk that i am not willing to take, especially with grandchildren and dogs in the awning at times,....

We can both have our opinions on the matter, and as its your caravan it must be your choice.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: woodsieboy
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Caravelair Antares 406 - Double bed makes up with pull-out slats, but in our test model, they were a bit of a struggle (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)
Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)