Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: The Caravan Market post Brexit.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465801

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1070
Looking good.
www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/industry/coa...tm?source=newsletter
Quality producer Coachman is now part European owned. Edward Hymer own Elddis.
Is this good for us punters :) :)
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465802

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1203
Hymer will bring some much needed design and build acumen. I think the problem with caravans is if tariffs are introduced so many caravan parts and assemblies are sourced in Europe. Unlike car parts caravan parts could be affected by tariffs. So caravan costs would undoubtedly increase and if the pound slumped it would exacerbate the effect. Whether production and labour costs were directly or indirectly affected remains to be seen.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465804

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
Interesting take Clive.
Ignoring the politics, I do not believe an EU manufacturer will want to lose any part of their Uk market. The same goes for the German car industry who export more to the UK than most.
I suspect many caravan part suppliers will be able to sell via their UK office avoiding tariffs, hopefully. The corollary is that many UK companies have opened offices in the EU to avoid tariff payments. Early days yet :whistle:

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465808

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1436
Dustydog wrote:
Interesting take Clive.
Ignoring the politics, I do not believe an EU manufacturer will want to lose any part of their Uk market. The same goes for the German car industry who export more to the UK than most.
I suspect many caravan part suppliers will be able to sell via their UK office avoiding tariffs, hopefully.

The corollary is that many UK companies have opened offices in the EU to avoid tariff payments. Early days yet :whistle:

Simply opening an office will not be enough to stop tariffs being imposed, Tariffs are imposed on goods crossing boarders usually based on the type and value of the goods in question.

It works both ways, Take BMW for instance and their Mini. If by volume they sell more abroad than in the UK, tariffs will make their sales costs rise elsewhere - the solution is move production out of the UK, service their bigger market by producing inside the EU so no tariffs will be applied except to exports to the UK, and the smaller UK market will have to suffer the increased prices. The same argument will be applied to all multinational companies who currently operate within the UK.

The UK caravan market (despite Coachmans good fortunes) is presently shrinking. Whether this is a Brexit effect I don't know, but I do assume it is partly to blame. Kabe is Norwegian, and Norway is not technically in the EU, though it does operate a customs union with the EU meaning they are tied to the EU as far as international trade is concerned, and they would have to adopt the same trading arrangements with the UK as the rest of Europe.

By taking a share of Coachman, and it seems being involved with introducing some Kabe models to the UK through coachman, the only way they could avoid finished goods tariffs would be to either provide knocked down kits or to build in the UK. The link with Coachman might offer that prospect.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465814

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
Here’s an interesting take on the BMW Mini crankshaft.

www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/03...stry-mini-britain-eu

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465815

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Dustydog wrote:
Here’s an interesting take on the BMW Mini crankshaft.

www.theguardian.com/business/2017/mar/03...stry-mini-britain-eu

Its been publicised for quite a while how interlinked the UK car market is with Europe, and that article is over two years old and that would be one reason why the HMG decided not to place tariffs on car parts, as a gesture (weak one) to supporting the UK car industry post any no deal Brexit. But I suspect that it would do nothing other than delay the second demise of the UK 's car industry. The first being caused by poor quality and bad labour relations.

But no such gesture has been made to the plethora of other products that are interlinked with Europe.

Still the people have spoken as is their democratic right.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by otherclive.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465817

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 707
From what I have seen the Hymer purchase of Eldiss has made no real difference to the product although behind the scenes it might have helped them put some price pressure on suppliers. There is very little competition for the supply of most bits though so with very little choice this may not be that big a point.
Hymer having bought Eldiss then seem to have been busy selling themselves so I suspect that they probably had little time to do a lot at Eldiss and the long term effect will be seen later. From a UK point of view is the group have several plants around Europe and the long term future of the Eldiss plant could be at risk if they decide to consolidate building locations. That does apply to all Hymer plants however.

The Coachman story is a little different in that it is not a takeover but the purchase of a minority interest. Again it might just mean joint negotiation for parts but I think the low percentage of the business sold cannot have a major effect.
Ray
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465819

• Buckman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 78
I don't think Hymer own Elddis any longer as Hymer have been bought out by an American company?

As for Brexit, sanctions were imposed by Western countries on other countries including fuel embargoes but these countries thrived with low unemployment so Brexit should not be an issue!
Last Edit: 1 month 4 weeks ago by Buckman.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465820

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
Buckman wrote:
I don't think Hymer own Elddis any longer as Hymer have been bought out by an American company?

As for Brexit, sanctions were imposed by Western countries on other countries including fuel embargoes but these countries thrived with low unemployment so Brexit should not be an issue!
Last September Thor of USA bought the entire Hymer Group which does include Elddis. The idea is to create a Global RV organisation. I wonder why Hymer bought Elddis and sold out to the Yanks so quickly. Time will tell.

The Caravan Market post Brexit. 1 month 4 weeks ago #465826

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Buckman wrote:

Which countries “thrived”. I don’t recall Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) or South Africa doing so great. And RoK,Russia and Iran aren’t exactly booming. So which countries are you referring to?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Most recent caravan reviews

Caravelair Antares 406 - Double bed makes up with pull-out slats, but in our test model, they were a bit of a struggle (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)
Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)