Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: National Memorial Arboretum.

National Memorial Arboretum. 2 years 5 months ago #411911

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 340
If you are in Staffordshire, near Alrewas this is well worth a visit. Lovely grounds and over 300 memorials to those who have served. The central large memorial, the armed forces memorial is being refurbished so is closed; but the place is still worth going to. There is part of the Burma railway there and an exhibition about those captured and held by the Japanese; harrowing but compelling.
If you go, I would recommend a trip around on the road train, as it helps you get an overview of the place, before setting off to find particular memorials. The visitor centre is also being developed but there is a cafe and toilets etc.
Given the significance of the place, it is not well advertised or widely known about.
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mealsonwheels

National Memorial Arboretum. 2 years 5 months ago #411923

• LizziePope
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 282
I agree. We visited last September and it's a very special place.
Digital Editor, Practical Caravan

National Memorial Arboretum. 2 years 5 months ago #411943

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 916
Our choir were privileged to have been invited to sing there last year at a remembrance service. The arboretum is easy to get to and well worth a visit.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

National Memorial Arboretum. 2 years 5 months ago #412009

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 299
Just to add to that, very close by is the Commonwealth cemetary on Cannock Chase. Adjacent to the Commonwealth Cemetary is a German Military Cemetary. As I understand it, most of the Germans interred were either shot down aircrew or prisoners that died in captivity, but to the rear of the cemetary are four (think it was four) large stones under which lay the remains of complete Zeppelin Crews.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_Chase_German_Military_Cemetery
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

National Memorial Arboretum. 2 years 5 months ago #412799

• Willi-Wonti
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I just wish to endorse what has already been said about the N.M.A.
I usually go for the 11 hour on the 11th day in the 11th month service.
Hyundai Terracan
Burstner Trecento 530 I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was someone with a torch
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by Willi-Wonti.

National Memorial Arboretum. 10 months 3 weeks ago #441300

• waffler
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35
All now open at NMA including a new visitor centre. The latest addition is a reconstructed World War 1 trench!
Coachman VIP565 and Kia Sorento KX3

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 586 2019 - As a six-berth single-axle, the Avanté is a sizeable van to manoeuvre, so Al-Ko's ATC and AKS hitch stabiliser are welcome features (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 470 2019 - The revamped layout in the new Pastiche 470 might tempt buyers looking for something a bit different (© Practical Caravan)
ph01 - The Bailey Phoenix 420 has a similar look to its siblings. There’s no front gas locker, and the graphics are quite low-key (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)