Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Top decorating tips

Top decorating tips 5 months 4 days ago #450695

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 837
Don’t glue vinyl paper down with No Nails if you plan on redecorating again. Two, wear gloves when sanding down the walls as your fingerprint id devices won’t work due to lack of skin!
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 5 months 4 days ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Top decorating tips 5 months 3 days ago #450708

• Beehpee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 61
Good tips there but the best tip I ever had was get someone in to do the decorating it gives you someone to blame when/if it goes pear shaped.

BP
Beehpee, I live in Daventry, Northants. A caravanner and love it.
Sir Sticky.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Top decorating tips 5 months 2 days ago #450788

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 431
I was going to put a wise crack on the other day and say avoid at all costs but I'm actually painting the kitchen today and dining room with the French doors open , Smooth FM on the radio and I'm quite chilled out just plodding on & it looks quite nice & cleaner . :)
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
Last Edit: 5 months 2 days ago by Craigyoung.

Top decorating tips 5 months 1 day ago #450815

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 325
When I was much younger and just married, and utterly garbage at decorating, a friend gave me a fabulous tool and it always gets the job done, it was a 10p piece, so I could get somebody in that knew what they were doing. Its a mantra that still holds for me today.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Top decorating tips 5 months 1 day ago #450828

• tuffty
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Before spending a weekend painting a room, check with the The Boss that yes, that really, really is the colour she wants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anseo, Kevin2306

Top decorating tips 5 months 23 hours ago #450837

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 325
Before spending a weekend painting a room, check with the The Boss that yes, that really, really is the colour she wants.

Aye, but thats only good for this week, next week it will be something different. Tell her you are ordering tartan paint.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Top decorating tips 4 months 2 weeks ago #451276

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Having little else to do as the three generations of gentle folk are holidaying in Majorca, so I decided to plod on with the decorating rather than taking three spaniels out for walkies. Not a good decision on my part. Trying to choose a paint from the Dulux range is now quite bizarre. There was a time when gloss, eggshell or even satinwood would be okay for radiators, now the website specifically excludes them for use on heated surfaces, other than from a quite limited colour palette of a limited type of paint too. And I really don't want to do the hall, stairs and landing with Hammerite rad paint from Dulux.

If its got this complex it is now no wonder that the younger generations are eschewing DIY. :(

PS Edit. Looking at an old tin of Dulux Satinwood water based quick dry it shows a radiator on the tine. Yet now the website excludes suitability for heated surfaces. That paint has been on the bathroom radiator for at least five years and its a very hot one as it its the "safety dump" for the boiler so no thermostat valve on it. I suspect the exclusions are for environmental reasons. Complaint has gone in to Dulux, which at least makes me feel better.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by otherclive.

Top decorating tips 4 months 2 weeks ago #451281

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 892
That’s most odd Clive,
I have used Dulux Trade Satinwood, colour mixed to our choice for years with no deterioration problems at all, nor smells . Please let us know what response you get
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Top decorating tips 4 months 2 weeks ago #451283

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 284
Having worked with many painting\decorator contractors (work related), I have come across a recurring response from said contractors, "standard gloss pain is gloss paint whether for radiators or not, its just gloss paint".

I agree with the opinions of the contractors as I have not established any difference in so called radiator paints and standard gloss paint.

I would not apply the same evaluation to 'extreme high temperature paints' where I do acknowledge that their is a difference in the products available.

But as usual it is your choice at the end of the decision making day :) .
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Mercedes E220 Estate
Last Edit: 4 months 2 weeks ago by Anseo.

Top decorating tips 4 months 2 weeks ago #451284

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
Dusty
I will update you on Dulux’s reply. Looking at a few websites others have been similarly non plussed but have painted in regardless with eggshell or satinwood with no detrimental effects.
This all cane about as we are thinking of moving and Mrs OC decided the old redundant telephone cable stapled to the hall skirting should be whipped out. Which she did. It left lots of little holes and showed where the top of the skirting had not been coated in paint. My suggestion of just stapling some new (clean) cable back on wasn’t approved. It would have been perfectly satisfactory form an aesthetic point of view and could have given any new owners a puzzle as to what the cable actually did :-)
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Challenger 580 - The Challenger profile has been streamlined for 2019, with a GRP front panel and a new panoramic sunroof in the hail-resistant GRP roof (© Practical Caravan)