Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Seat fabric premature wear?

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439586

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
Morning all.

I've got a 2016 Lunar Delta Ri and during our last holiday which was the end of August, whilst cleaning the van inside, I noticed the front seat fabric wearing in the areas where we tend to sit for either breakfast or an evening drink if the weather is poor, I've tried brushing the fabric and using the attachment tools with the vacuum cleaner but nothing seems to make a difference. In the 2016 Ri the fabric is a cream colour with a fluffy squared texture. This fluffy texture is now flat and very noticeable in comparison to other areas on the seats that might not get as much wear, for example the areas near the wrap around bolsters and the cushion next to the pop up extension flap.

I've worked out that since collecting the van in March 2016, we've holidayed collectively for approximately 49 days during which time, we've hardly sat inside the van, Evenings we usually spend in the awning and most mornings if it's nice out, we're sat eating breakfast in the sunshine. (We're not winter caravanners....yet) and as we have a fixed bed, the front beds have never been made up to a double or been slept on individually.

I've emailed the dealer to put forward a claim with some photos of the wear but Lunar have rejected the warranty claim as it's "Wear and Tear". I've emailed Lunar direct and had a response from Lee Roberts who I believe is the sales director.

My original email to Lunar pointed out that I didn't believe it to be a manufacturing defect but more of a poor choice of fabric for it's intended purpose and the fact that it should stand up to what I believe is less than regular or expected use for a 25k + caravan and that harder wearing fabrics should be considered in future designs.

I ended the email asking that Lunar organise the replacement or recovering of the front seats.

Lee replied with the email below.

Thanks for your email and we are sorry to hear of the problem you have experienced with your caravan.

I have reviewed your claim and will explain that this fault is only covered for 1 year as the bed bases can be subject to wear and tear, and if this was a design fault, then this would usually manifest itself immediately.

We do work closely with our suppliers, and all fabrics are sourced from tested suppliers, with a minimum wear of 30000 martindales verified for all fabrics. Therefore, we are unable to underwrite this warranty claim at this time.

I hope this clarifies

Kind regards

Lee Roberts
Lunar Caravans

I replied to Lee, stating that I was unhappy and would expect this kind of wear on a 3 or 4 year old van and as a first time Lunar owner, I'm disappointed. That was the 5th September and I'm yet to get a response.Although I have emailed him today asking for a response.

So what does everyone else think of this? Am I being too picky? Would you say it's fair wear and tear?
I've attached a few photo's below so that you can clearly see the wear and the one thing that annoys me is that the side of the cushion which sits against the pop up extension shows the same flat looking wear as the seats and it's not even been sat on! it's only been placed beside the extension.

Side Cushion next to pop up extension

How it should look, fluffy and new which is the seperate small base cushion next to drawers.

Wear comparsion

Flat looking fabirc

Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Chrisjkerr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439596

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
Hello Chrisjkerr,

First and foremost I agree with you that fabric on an 18 month old caravan should not be wearing out, unless it has been exposed to unreasonable use. It certainly calls into question the quality of the materials being used adn such wear suggest the design (or specification of the materials is inadequate for its intended purpose or that they have used a fault batch of material in your caravan.

Morally Lunar are wrong to refuse to handle your claim, but legally they are perfectly within their rights, as you have no contract with them. You do however have a contract with your seller!

I suggest you look up your statutory rights automatically afforded to you under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Your seller is in breach of your statutory rights if the sell you goods that not of adequate quality and sufficiently durable for their intended purpose.

Check out The Consumers Association Web site about the CRA.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439598

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Prof,

As ever, thanks for your time responding. Yeah, I know that it's the supplying dealer that I'm contracted to but fancied my chances directly with the claim seeing as it was rejected so quickly via the dealer and then it being relayed directly to the warranty team at Lunar for them to reject. I will go back to dealer if Lunar doesn't respond and I'll make it clear that I'm unhappy and take it from there.

I just wanted to see if other caravan owners on the forum thought i'm being unreasonable for an 18 month old caravan to show shade changes to the fabric and the aesthetic properties which have changed so quickly considering the actual time I've sat on the front seats. It would be good to find out if anyone owning a Lunar Clubman 2016 or Delta with the same fabric are showing the same levels of wear as us...?

Thanks

Chris
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Chrisjkerr.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439599

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
Just out of interest I wanted to know what the"Marrtindales" was so I found this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martindale_(unit)
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439602

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
Certainly looks to be a poor choice of fabric by Lunar to show such a difference between new and used. Not sure it can be classed as wear but the flattening of the "pile" isn't really acceptable as it spoils the appearance of the upholstery and makes the seating looker far more used than it actually is. Good look through the Dealership. I'd be interested to hear if any other Lunar owners have had similar issues.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439604

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
I did a bit of research too Prof. There's some Youtube videos out there as well showing the rub test.

I checked some fabric manufacturing websites that use this particular testing method and read on their FAQ pages that it's the job of the designer to understand the full implications of the physical and aesthetic properties of the fabric when specifying it in their colour scheme / application. So as well as abrasion resistance you will need to understand, colour fastness and importantly, fire retardancy as well as other fabric properties, such as shade change.

Seems to me that you may get a 50,000 martindales score but the fabric may look shagged but at least it didn't tear or fall apart!

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439605

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
I am in no way an expert on upholstery fabrics, but just looking at your close-up pics, it is certainly not a fabric I would choose for the purpose ..... it is a far too 'open' weave. It's a bit like buying 'bedroom quality' carpet and putting it in the hallway ... cheap and looks good at first. However, if you had been offered an upgrade, would you have forked out perhaps an extra £500 for better material?

However, we all know that it is 'glossies' and instant visual appeal that sell new 'vans (or boats/cars/whatever) rather than the practicalities. (Far easier to sell a 'van with a fancy 'digital' fridge which automatically decides which fuel source to use, than an old-fashioned one!......even though it costs more; will perform no better; and be vastly more expensive to repair when the electronics fail)

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439613

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
I was of the same opinion VicMallows, I said to both Lunar on my first email and to the dealership that the fabric in my opinion wasn't ideally suited for such a heavy wear areas such as the sofas. I even used a similar example with the carpet same as you. I've had a second hand 18 month old Bailey Unicorn 3 Cartagena in standard fabric which still looked and felt new and a 6 year old Sterling Eccles Opal and that was the same...Both looked new, felt new but had a rougher and harder wearing fabric.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439636

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
I've had a response from Lunar. Please see below.

Looks like I'll be speaking with the dealer in question and exercising my rights under the CRA with regards fit for purpose.

Hi

Thanks for your email.

We have referred this to our supplier who underwrite the warranty on these items, and they have replied back stating that as these items are over 12 months old, and from the photos show no fault in the fabric, they cannot accept a warranty claim for this case.

As they are the experts in this field and do fully test all fabrics before supply, and indeed have to adhere to minimum standards set under Type Approval, we have to support their decision.

I am sorry we cannot help further on this occasion.

Kind regards

Lunar Caravans

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439641

• Buckman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Tough luck on the dealer as they will have to replace the fabric at their own cost. Not sure why you bothered to chase it with Lunar as the answer given in the post by "Prof" was good advice. Have a read of http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/20/enacted. Remember you have to give a dealer the opportunity to do a repair. That repair should then have the same type of cover as if you have just bought the goods.
As per the CRA 2015 the following apply;

1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

2 Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

3 It is the seller, not the manufacturer, who is responsible if goods do not conform to contract.

4 If goods do not conform to contract at the time of sale, purchasers can request their money back "within a reasonable time". (This is not defined and will depend on circumstances)

5 For up to six years after purchase (five years from discovery in Scotland) purchasers can demand damages (which a court would equate to the cost of a repair or replacement).

6 A purchaser who is a consumer, i.e. is not buying in the course of a business, can alternatively request a repair or replacement.

7 If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit

8 In general, the onus is on all purchasers to prove the goods did not conform to contract (e.g. was inherently faulty) and should have reasonably lasted until this point in time (i.e. perishable goods do not last for six years).

9 If a consumer chooses to request a repair or replacement, then for the first six months after purchase it will be for the retailer to prove the goods did conform to contract (e.g. were not inherently faulty)

10 After six months and until the end of the six years, it is for the consumer to prove the lack of conformity.

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on