Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Seat fabric premature wear?

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439643

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 8
HI Buckman,

Thanks for the info.

I had spoken to the dealer originally as I had to claim on the warranty for another item which was agreed. It was how quickly the fabric claim came back (24hrs) which bothered me as if they hadn't looked into it at all and I'd already been dealing with Lunar directly on another matter regarding a potential purchase of a 2018 Alaria and whist dealing with them decided to ask about the fabric which then got escalated internally and they requested an email with evidence. I'd already emailed Lunar before Prof kindly replied as I was trying to see if Lunar would resolve it directly as they had done with another warranty claim last year.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439644

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 145
Hi,
but make sure when you get your new fabrics that you keep close eye on them because a few years ago we got a new window put in the front of ours on the Old van and it didn't last 6 months until it went again we had , second one lasted just over a year the third one just under a year ! 3 or 4 windows in there within a matter of 3 or 4 years !!
Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone)!?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chrisjkerr

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439645

• Buckman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
Chrisjkerr wrote:
HI Buckman,

Thanks for the info.

I had spoken to the dealer originally as I had to claim on the warranty for another item which was agreed. It was how quickly the fabric claim came back (24hrs) which bothered me as if they hadn't looked into it at all and I'd already been dealing with Lunar directly on another matter regarding a potential purchase of a 2018 Alaria and whist dealing with them decided to ask about the fabric which then got escalated internally and they requested an email with evidence. I'd already emailed Lunar before Prof kindly replied as I was trying to see if Lunar would resolve it directly as they had done with another warranty claim last year.

Perhaps a way forward is for you to now put it in writing to the dealer. Either by snail mail or email. It is essential that you try and keep it in writing from this point forward otherwise if the issue enters legal territory you cannot prove anything. BTW if the caravan is on HP if the dealer does not respond get onto the finance house and tell them that you are not happy as if you have a contract with the finance house who own the goods.
I have been down this route very recently and after a year I was successful in rejecting a caravan to get a refund. I got a lot of very good legal advice from the Which magazine legal team. This cost me approximately £90 for a years subscription to the magazine plus the advice. If I can be of any further help, let me know.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439646

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
I'm already writing the email and a copy for snail mail just in case! I've got a good rapport with the sales team at the dealer so we'll just have to see if that gets me anywhere.. Unfortunately the van isn't on any finance so no angle via the financial institution. I'm already a subscriber of Which so should maybe give them a call and see where it gets me. I'm now re-evaluating the Alaria but it seems whichever brand you go with, there's always going to be something wrong. Will let you know how i get on

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439647

• Buckman
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
We looked at the Alaria last year, but the roof could not hold the weight of an air con or a satellite dome and that was of concern to us. We thought it to be over priced. Previously we had a 2011 Lunar Delta TI and serious damp issues with it. Our Lunars previous to that we had no damp issues and were looked after by Chichester Caravans in Bromsgrove.
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Buckman.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439648

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 220
If you paid the deposit on the van by credit card you may get Section 75 cover from the card issuing company.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439649

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
Yeah, we thought the same too last year but with more the higher costs associated to change rather than limited AC or Sat provisions. Lunar still use the standard wooden construction method too within their walls, floors and ceilings along with the usual fixings but could be wrong and that against a Buccaneer and it being 8ft wide and using a fully bonded construction would have been the better option but either didn't sway my wallet I'm afraid.

We looked at the Buccaneer Commodore but didn't really like the enclosed cubicles for shower and toilet / basin. In the end we kept the RI. Now that Lunar are going 8ft with the Alaria i'd have been more inclined to take a look seeing as I like the washroom layout in the RI, extra width on the 2018 Alaria and love the L shape lounges sense of space. Maybe we'll take a look at the Buccaneer Baracuda instead and put up with the cubicle style mid washroom. Who knows. In my perfect world. The vans would be 8.3ft wide, built using SMART HT from Swift, have the Alaria RI layout with the build quality of Vanmaster or something...We only hope.

In reply to Otherclive, it was debit card so no Section 75 cover for deposit

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439716

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 356
I agree with the legal summaries in that the fabric should last far longer and it does look to be of poor quality so there is a basis of a claim there. You probably need expert opinion on this though and you should contact local upholsterer to see if any can give you the necessary report. If you do not have a report, you risk having to turn up in court with the offending items and hoping they find in your favour.
Given that your use of the caravan is modest compared with some of us, I am surprised that if there is a problem it has not turned up before. It might be worth checking other forums to see if you can find anything, as if it is coming up elsewhere then it does help your case and the other people concerned.
Ray
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by Raywood.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 3 weeks ago #439730

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 596
1. The fabric supplier without even seeing the seats in the flesh says they are OK. Rubbish. What a fob off :angry: k
2. The photos Chris posted show a distressed fabric imo.
3. Time for a Small Claims Court action against the Dealer.
4. This isn't the first time a fabric hasn't stood the test of time. The rub test and Martindales only apply to the tested sample. They Do Not prove the fabric supplied is compliant. Things do fail, as do cars and caravans :P
Any Judge worth his salt will soon see your fabrics are not fit for purpose.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Seat fabric premature wear? 2 months 2 weeks ago #439862

• Chrisjkerr
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks Raywood / DustyDog

I've gone back to the supplying dealer now to request that it be looked into again with or without the Lunar backed warranty, suggesting the dealer cover the cost of the reupholstering otherwise I'll be considering legal action in accordance with my consumer rights. I've found out today that going via Belfield furnishings directly would cost a mind boggling (sarcasm) total of £187.20 for both front cushions to be re-covered. I'd imagine Lunar would be paying significantly less than this as a trade customer and the dealer possibly gaining some discount also. I can't believe how either the manufacturers or dealers turn down this sort of claim with the evidence provided for that sort of expense at putting right the fault that is obviously due to poorly selected fabric for its purpose.

I'm going to head over to a few Lunar owner forums and see if anyone with the Clubman / Delta of the same year have noticed anything similar on their van. I visited a caravan dealer whilst in Nottingham over the weekend and they had a 2016 Clubman Si with the same fabric as my Delta. Guess what...Same bloody wear as mine! Can't just be me being picky can it??

ciao
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dustydog

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on