Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Am I being Naive.

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #439944

• pensioner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
We own a Lunar Cosmos 352, which is an Ariva with extras.

We've been using a full awning with poles for 3 years and apart from being heavy, I constantly worry that a pole may slip out whilst we are putting it up and damage the side of our van.

So we bought an air awing, which is suitable for vans of between 235 and 250 cm high, ours is 232 so I intend to run the van up onto leveling ramps, which will give me an extra 7 or 8 cms.

The only draw back I can see is that the step up into the van will be that bit higher,,OR am I missing something ?

I've got a set of blocks in case the 4 steadies can't reach the ground but looking at the amount of spare thread I don't think I'll need them
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #439948

• bertieboy1
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hi Pensioner,
You'll probably need to put some wood under the other wheel as well.
We sometimes use a piece of planking bevelled so that the wheel has an easy run onto the wood.
From your dimensions - why go so much when (theoretically) you only need to raise the van 30mm.the piece of plank I use must be around 30mm thick and the corner steadies reach the ground easily.
I always level the van before uncoupling so that I can use the car to move the van onto the flat levelling wood.
PS I always use flat wood (it's better and easier than using these daft yellow levelling wedges)
The following user(s) said Thank You: pensioner

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #439950

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
I would first of all simply try the new awning with the 'van on level ground and see how it actually fits. Even if the awning size is nominally correct, the fit can vary significantly depending (especially) on the front shape of the awning channel.

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #439951

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 357
I agree you will need to raise both sides in most cases. If you raise the caravan then the step will be correspondingly raised. If you want to raise the caravan I would buy a two step step for the caravan. They can be bought from about £30 or so.
Ray

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440009

• pensioner
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Thanks for the positive feed back,,I was a bit concerned that I'd missed an important point.

I'll be using the movers to put it on the ramps,,and I have extra blocks in case I need to prop up the boggy wheel.

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440017

• audiorob
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
I go with Vic, I would try it first, sometimes just increasing the angles of the awning edge left and right by the van will take up the difference - often the pitch and awning space will not be entirely level anyway - you may then find the awning sits level enough- and I'm all for the easiest solution!

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440020

• audiorob
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Sorry reply appeared under wrong topic
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by audiorob. Reason: sorry posted in wrong topic!

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440025

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 596
Have you bought a porch or full air awning?
If a porch then before you raise the caravan as the others say try it.
If it's a full one then surely the only dimension of importance is the measurement taken floor to floor along the entire awning rail?
Good luck.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440029

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
Dustydog wrote:
If it's a full one then surely the only dimension of importance is the measurement taken floor to floor along the entire awning rail?

I don't have one, but can imagine that a problem with a full air-awning is that you don't have the ability to adjust the air beams in the same way you would adjust the height of a poled awning to achieve best pitch?

Am I being Naive. 2 months 2 weeks ago #440035

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 596
Vic
Our Kampa Rallye Air porch awning actually uses metal poles against the caravan wall, the others are air filled so the actual height of the caravan doesn't matter. Not sure if this is the case with the full air awning.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on