Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Which club to join?

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440028

• Grey13
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hi, simply confused now which is staggering because to my knowledge there are only 2 main options, "Caravan & Motorhome Club" or "Camping and Caravanning Club " Which one do you belong to and any comments please!
Reborn caravanner !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440031

• parigby
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Faced with the same choice, what l did, was join them both for the first twelve months, and thereafter made my mind up with the benefit of on site experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440032

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
It depends what you want.

If you want the widest possible choice of CL's/CS's and club sites across the UK then join both. The downside to that of course is two magazines a month full of adverts. There is sometimes a perceived higher quality site with CC but I'm sure there will be plenty of examples to dispel this. There has also been a perception of a slightly more upmarket and stand offish stance by members of CC. I would say this is absolute nonsense and you would get a warm welcome from either club and it's members.

If you want the widest choice of rallying opportunities then join both, having said that both clubs individually can meet anyone's wants and needs on this front easily.

Both clubs offer very good quality caravan insurance and we have tended to switch between the two depending on the cost. The last few years CCC have been most competitive.

Both clubs offer breakdown services at competitive prices, travel insurance etc.

It really is a case of pays your money and takes your chances. We've been belt and braces with both for a long time to get the best of both worlds but would recommend either or equally.

If you only want to stay on commercial sites with fully serviced pitches, swimming pools, children's facilities and activities along with a bar and games room then I wouldn't bother joining either.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2017 DFW WAV converted 316 Sprinter

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1) WEI dragging along Lady Therapy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, Grey13

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440033

• VicMallows
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 72
For many, the decision seems to come down to which site booking system you prefer (non-refundable deposits with generally good availability ...... or no deposits but sites apparently fully booked way in advance....though maybe having last-minute availability as people cancel. For others, having a very consistent standard of toilet block appears to be a primary consideration.

'Regimentation' is often perceived as being greater at C&MC, but not having stayed at any of their sites I cannot comment. There is probably not much to choose between CS and CL '5-van' sites. Other benefits, travel, insurance, etc are pretty much similar

As a life-long tent camper who has only in the last few years added a caravan, C&CC fits better for me. (We still have various tents which I optimistically hope will still get some use).

A lot of people DO belong to both clubs .... primarily to be able to use both CS and CL sites.

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440034

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 593
I'm in both. Their CLs and CSs are pretty well much the same in standard.
Both offer sites in different parts of the country so I get the best of both worlds. Check out their respective sites in Scotland and you will appreciate the benefit of both. Very little overlap.
I have printed copies of their magazines rather than IT ones. Both are a very good read. The annual subscription includes the magazines 12 per year!!
Their insurance schemes are probably the best in caravanning as are their help with Legal and Technical matters.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grey13

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440039

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 398
We belong to both the main clubs purley for the cl/cs sites, I dont think in the last ten years we have stayed at more than 5 main club sites as they don't suit us. No pubs within reasonable walking distance. And also they are getting too expensive. One big winge try booking into Rowntree in York. Come on DD. Your expreince.
Hutch
Hutch
The site must be around here somewhere.????
2014, Sante Fe, 2013 Coachman, 560, VOP, Woburn Sands , Milton Keynes
Sir Were-Rabbit.

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440042

• Martin24
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 402
EH52ARH wrote:
We belong to both the main clubs purley for the cl/cs sites, I dont think in the last ten years we have stayed at more than 5 main club sites as they don't suit us. No pubs within reasonable walking distance. And also they are getting too expensive. One big winge try booking into Rowntree in York. Come on DD. Your expreince.
Hutch

Nice little CL behind a coal yard in York, not too bad a wander to the local which used to be very good.
2014 Bailey Pegasus GT65 Turin towed by 2017 DFW WAV converted 316 Sprinter

Sir Outnumbered BAR WC (4:1) WEI dragging along Lady Therapy
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440046

• Mogwyth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
We are in both too started of with C&CC as the rest of the family are in it and then joined the C&MHC as membership and Mayday breakdown was cheaper than the AA plus more small sites to visit.
Discovery 3 4,4 V8 :cheer: followed by a Swift Charisma 610

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440047

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 598
Both clubs offer similar benefits and are worth the annual fee unless you prefer the beer bingo and kiddy club facilities offered by some commercially run family sites which offer some good bargain prices at times.
Have a think about what you are looking for, the Caravan and Motorhome Club is generally regarded to uphold high standards and the sites are eminently suitable for couples who don't need the swimming pools and amusement arcades offered by commercial sites.
The Camping and Caravanning Club is great for older couples because of the age discount on pitches, and families also enjoy the C&CC because tent camping is allowed which means that older children can sleep away from their parents in tents.
Both clubs hold rallies, the C&MHC needs to be pre-booked and the C&CC normally doesn't, you simply turn up on the day.
We are members of the C&CC, we are a retired couple and we mainly use the certified sites near to the places that we want to visit, because we don't go on holiday to sit in the caravan, it's just a base.
We sometimes use commercial sites, especially in coastal areas for main holidays, because my mobility is impaired,. If we fancy a night out with drinks we use good well run sites which have bars or restaurants on site so that I can share a glass or two with no late night worries about getting back to the caravan.
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Which club to join? 2 months 1 week ago #440048

• Dodger524
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 30
We also joined both in order to try them out. They are subtly different as others have indicated, two years on and we remain members of both. We are off on an autumn tour next week and will be making use of both clubs sites.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Parksy, Grey13

Most recent caravan reviews

The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Swift Sprite Quattro EB review – 1 - This new Swift Sprite Quattro EB has a curvaceous front section, while its elegant exterior features classy, understated decals (© Peter Baber/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on