Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Awning flooring and heating

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #445981

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11319
  • Thank you received: 1156
Thingy wrote:
True Vapalux arent efficient light producers, but the heat they give of is fantastic.
:woohoo:

That statement is a scientific total oxymoron. :huh: An efficient light producer will produce very little heat - like an LED for example, :) So a "fantastic" heat producer when you really want light makes it a very inefficient light :( producer.

PJL B)
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #445982

  • EH52ARH
  • EH52ARH's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Posts: 3904
  • Thank you received: 747
ProfJohnL wrote:
Thingy wrote:
True Vapalux arent efficient light producers, but the heat they give of is fantastic.
:woohoo:

That statement is a scientific total oxymoron. :huh: An efficient light producer will produce very little heat - like an LED for example, :) So a "fantastic" heat producer when you really want light makes it a very inefficient light :( producer.

PJL B)

Prof, I think you are misreading Thingys post. I remember having a Chinese made version of the Vapalux, and Wow it was Explosive when you lit it up. :P
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thingy

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #445993

  • Thingy
  • Thingy's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1604
  • Thank you received: 354
Think prof just misread my statement. Simple mistake, I blame age :)
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446002

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11319
  • Thank you received: 1156
Thingy wrote:
Think prof just misread my statement. Simple mistake, I blame age :)

OOPS - I should have gone to specksavers :oops:
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446031

  • Anseo
  • Anseo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1042
  • Thank you received: 304
ProfJohnL wrote:
Thingy wrote:
Think prof just misread my statement. Simple mistake, I blame age :)

OOPS - I should have gone to specksavers :oops:

I see what you did there :whistle:
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)

Mercedes E220 Estate
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446035

  • Mel
  • Mel's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Posts: 3539
  • Thank you received: 367
Before caravanning we, like many other vanners, started with a trailer tent. It had a gas kitchen which you took into the trailer tent. I believe that modern trailer tents have the same arrangement.
Clearly there have been horrid tragedies when folks have taken barbecues into tents, but there must be a safe way to burn properly serviced gas under canvas, because it is still being manufactured.
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by Mel. Reason: Spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446043

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11319
  • Thank you received: 1156
Yes Mel with proper ventilation.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446049

  • EH52ARH
  • EH52ARH's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Posts: 3904
  • Thank you received: 747
Mel wrote:
Before caravanning we, like many other vanners, started with a trailer tent. It had a gas kitchen which you took into the trailer tent. I believe that modern trailer tents have the same arrangement.
Clearly there have been horrid tragedies when folks have taken barbecues into tents, but there must be a safe way to burn properly serviced gas under canvas, because it is still being manufactured.
Mel

I think Mel has a very good point here, as we go to our local tent and trailer tent, dealer, I now remember that all of the kitchens are under cover. So must have good ventilation. And as I have mentioned before , our porch awning has permanantly open vents at the top corners.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
Last Edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by EH52ARH.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446056

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 2149
  • Thank you received: 449
At the minute we have plenty of ventilation in our awning as my wheel is is on show as my awning skirt was damaged and ripped so I've cut it for one bit to fit the back bit behind the wheel and one bit of skirt bit in front of the wheel , went to price a new length of awning skirt , over £5o.oo !!! shocked :ohmy:
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning flooring and heating 8 months 3 weeks ago #446066

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 11319
  • Thank you received: 1156
Craigyoung wrote:
At the minute we have plenty of ventilation in our awning as my wheel is is on show as my awning skirt was damaged and ripped so I've cut it for one bit to fit the back bit behind the wheel and one bit of skirt bit in front of the wheel , went to price a new length of awning skirt , over £5o.oo !!! shocked :ohmy:

Hello Craig,
Your ripped wheel cover only provides low level ventilation. The hot fumes from what ever is burning or smouldering as in a charcoal BBQ will collect at high level where you breath.

The point about cookers in trailer tents, I remember well becasue there was a mesh window just behind the cooker.

Like it, or believe it or not the use of any burning appliance inside a tent or awning is potentially unsafe not only from teh fire hazard but also the products of combustion, which area actually more dangerous becasue you can't see or feel them.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 462 2019 - This season, the Quasar's exterior has a distinctive green stripe on the decals, differentiating it from other caravans at this price point (© Practical Caravan)

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)