Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Time taken to steal a caravan

Time taken to steal a caravan 6 months 2 weeks ago #446410

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 776
Raywood wrote:
Dustydog wrote:
I’m with Ray bar the curtains. Sunlight damage may be worse than a potential theft ;)
Some years ago , I can’ t find it now, a forum its had his stolen from back garden which was blocked all round. The Scum used a mobile crane and low loader.
IMO, trust me, if it’s nicked , pray it is not recovered and you get your new for old settlement from the insurer B)

We do leave the curtains open to try and show there is nothing to steal inside. We have not had a problem with fading but then again in Scotland sunshine can be in short supply. Having the curtains open does give you a bit of heat in cold weather which cannot be bad.
If you want to see how quick the professionals are watch this:

It is now quite old but it shows just how quickly it can be done.

Thanks that's quite interesting. The alarm was silenced very quickly, and the van arrived with its number plate towards the camera. But on the video it wasn't able to be read. Whether that was through editing the video (to protect privacy of thieves) or just another poor CCTV set up. The other thing that most of us know already is just how quickly wheel, hitch and secure posts can be cut away. Overall the expense of the CCTV system wasn't money well spent. Geese might have been more effective!
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Time taken to steal a caravan 6 months 2 weeks ago #446550

• Brian_374234561
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Our van is stored at home and we have an alarm on the house, so I've put one of the house alarm pir sensors in the van as a separate 'zone' so if it is broken into, the house alarm goes off and it's all monitored.
As you say though, if they want it, they'll take it so as long as nobody in my family is threatened and I don't get a trashed caravan back, let them crack on. There's only so much you can do!
The following user(s) said Thank You: EH52ARH, Anseo

Time taken to steal a caravan 6 months 1 week ago #446643

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 545
A good idea if they are looking to steal from the caravan, but in many cases the thieves will steal a caravan, but not enter it, so the alarm will not be activated.
Ray

Time taken to steal a caravan 6 months 1 week ago #446812

• PHOENIXFLIER
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
Craigyoung wrote:
For the less than 10 minutes it takes me to take my wheel lock off and hitch lock off I couldn't be bothered to carry around two wheels and put them on & off for each trip . I've barely got enough room in the boot as it is to get the stuff in for weekend away with the two kids never mind putting two wheels in the boot . :blink:
Maybe I should have elucidated. The wheels are only removed when we are at home. I have got a windy gun and pneumatic jack pads, so the whole exercise is a doddle. On site same precautions everybody else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Time taken to steal a caravan 6 months 1 week ago #446813

• Brian_374234561
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
It does go off if the sensor is moved as I found out by accident when I towed the caravan off the drive with the house sensor inside, then the house alarm went off. The alarm knows if the pir sensor is moved. Clever stuff!

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 586 2019 - As a six-berth single-axle, the Avanté is a sizeable van to manoeuvre, so Al-Ko's ATC and AKS hitch stabiliser are welcome features (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 470 2019 - The revamped layout in the new Pastiche 470 might tempt buyers looking for something a bit different (© Practical Caravan)
ph01 - The Bailey Phoenix 420 has a similar look to its siblings. There’s no front gas locker, and the graphics are quite low-key (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)