Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing?

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450509

• BaileyNiggles
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I guess awning rails must be pretty tough to take the buffeting of an awning in strong winds, albeit spread over its length. Anyone any thoughts or experiences of somehow hooking a washing line or some sort of drying frame from it? Obvious fear is a point load would distort it. Are they made to any kind of load bearing standard ... those EU regulators seem to have got their teeth into everything so maybe there's a minimum load bearing rating or something?!?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450513

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 830
An awning fixed to the rail spreads the load. Your proposal will,IMO ,add a very localised loading. Having just replaced my awning rail and associated sealant, a big job, I wouldn’t support your proposal. What’s wrong with the portable rotary washing lines?
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450514

• BaileyNiggles
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Clutter & weight. Blow over. Capacity.

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450515

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 712
We hang stuff in the awning and use a guy rope rigged between awning and A frame. Also at night stuff gets hung over chairs in awning. During day hung on line strung in van. In winter when it gets a bit difficult we carry a low wattage dryer that keeps towels fresh. Rarely do we need to use the inbuilt tumble dryer.
However please don’t think that the van resembles a laundry as we don’t dhobi that often. On long trips we have been known to spend some ikkies using site facilities.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 3 months 1 week ago by otherclive.

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450516

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 369
I wouldn't be using my awning rail to hook a washing line on for wet stuff , with the weight of the clothes its got a chance to come out but every time we have been away long term for a few weeks we take one of these , never once blew over pegged in with rock pegs.
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450520

• Icaru5
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 115
Craigyoung wrote:
I wouldn't be using my awning rail to hook a washing line on for wet stuff , with the weight of the clothes its got a chance to come out but every time we have been away long term for a few weeks we take one of these , never once blew over pegged in with rock pegs.

Is that your stripey cooking apron on the left Craig ? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450529

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 369
Icaru5 wrote:
Craigyoung wrote:

No thats me in mine , on left in yellow !! :P
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Icaru5

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 1 week ago #450530

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 712
Craigyoung wrote:
Icaru5 wrote:
Craigyoung wrote:

No thats me in mine , on left in yellow !! :P

I see that your clothes are hanging in the awning. Good one. Noting the apron if you are ever in central Amsterdam try a half litre or two in The Queen’s Head’ pub in Prinz Hendrik Strasse you’ll be made most welcome.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Awning rail - use as clothes line fixing? 3 months 6 days ago #450557

• CustardAvenger
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 60
Craigyoung wrote:
I wouldn't be using my awning rail to hook a washing line on for wet stuff , with the weight of the clothes its got a chance to come out but every time we have been away long term for a few weeks we take one of these , never once blew over pegged in with rock pegs.l

Craig,

Cadac & BBQ fashions aside... isn't that device the magical rain sumoner? I only ever seem them out when its raining! :P

Paul.
Paul
Volvo XC60 D4 AWD & Swift Sprite Major 4SB

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora Sava 623 DT - For 2019, Adria introduces a brand new model, the 5-berth twin-axle Adora Sava (© Practical Motorhome)
The Unicorn Vigo has had a facelift - The fourth generation of the Vigo has a revamped look to the front of the van (© Practical Caravan)
Osprey 866 exterior - The Elddis Osprey 866 dealer special edition has unique decals down its GRP sides (© Practical Caravan/Andrew Jenkinson)