Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Xplore 304

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #453951

• Nimrod
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
hi all i have just got myself anew xpkore 304, its a very light weight one, still dont know if its the right choice i made but thats another story. i tow with a mazda 6 estate which served me well in towing but now thinking of a mazda 3, would this xplore be ok on the back of mazda 3 as i cant seem to find any details, thaks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #453952

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 785
Nimrod wrote:
hi all i have just got myself anew xpkore 304, its a very light weight one, still dont know if its the right choice i made but thats another story. i tow with a mazda 6 estate which served me well in towing but now thinking of a mazda 3, would this xplore be ok on the back of mazda 3 as i cant seem to find any details, thaks

You don’t say what year, model or engine size/type Mazda 3 you would buy. The cars manual or V5 will show its max towing weight. You need to look at car kerbweights too. You also don’t give details of the caravan weight (MTPLM).

As you are experienced in towing and have used the Mazda 6 I’d be tempted to keep it as it’s space will come in handy as being heavier than the Mazda 3 would should make for a stable outfit. I guess you are aware of the 85% guide which would be a good starting point for assessing a Mazda 3. Lastly don’t forget that the cars max towing limit isn’t an indication of how good a tow car it would be. It is it’s ability to do a number of successive hill starts on a defined incline. Having had a caravan I’m sure you know that they don’t behave like a low slung trailer when behind your car.

Enjoy the new caravan in the meantime.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by otherclive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nimrod

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #454044

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 549
I have the Mazda 6 and have found it a very good tow car which should be well on top of the job for you. For the caravan you have the 3 should be up to the job provided you get the right spec, but it would leave you very little margin if you decide to go for something bigger. I would be inclined to keep the 6 and see how you manage with the caravan before deciding on trading down to a lighter model.
Ray

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #454083

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 410
I agree,
I would keep the 6 and see how it goes before changing to a 3 and finding out you made the wrong choice.
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #454112

• Nimrod
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply, The car I was looking at was a mazda 3 of the 2 litre petrol model as the van I know have is very lightweight at MTPLM 1043 KG, As around here a good low mileage estate mazda 6 seem to be gold dust without me traveling a couple hundred miles or so to see one, thanks again

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #454189

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 549
The 3 looks a decent match, and the engine would be up to the job, but as I said if you found the caravan too small and wanted to move up, it does limit your options
Ray

Xplore 304 2 months 1 week ago #454212

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 341
Hi Nimrod, you said you weren't sure about the van, what is it that you don't like?
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....

Xplore 304 1 month 4 weeks ago #454740

• Nimrod
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Mel yes I got this van as im over 70 now and its very light weight indeed and only 13 foot. I’ve been vanning for 30 years now and I’ve never had a L shape lounge and now the toilet/shower/washroom is all in one and again I’ve always had seperate shower and toilet. To be honest it’s like a Tardis lol, but I’ve been out in it three times now and slowly getting used to it,. Thanks for asking. Ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel

Xplore 304 1 month 4 weeks ago #454764

• Kiveton
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi Ed,
I'm 78 years old, with similar precautions re having too big a caravan.
I also have a Hyundai i40 1.7 litre diesel which I did not want to change.

We looked around and the first question was do we want a motorhome or caravan - new or used?
We decided on a caravan because with a motor home you tend to be reliant on public transport (where available) when on site.
We eventually bought a new Caravelair Antares 335 - and that's the overall length of the caravan without the A frame. The naked caravan weighs 730 kilos, with a maximum MTPLthingy weight of 1 ton (which suits the car's power, and is soooo easy to handle.

Later, we realised that this caravan is actually at least as big as, or often bigger and roomier than your average bog standard motor home costing probably £20,000 more.
I must admit that, after towing anything up to twin axles in my younger days, it has taken me a while to minimise myself as it were to the new size.

And, of course, we have much more room on our pitches.
Hyundai i40, Cavaleria Antares 335. And happy on the high road.
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Kiveton. Reason: Amend the caravan model
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive, EH52ARH, Nimrod

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 586 2019 - As a six-berth single-axle, the Avanté is a sizeable van to manoeuvre, so Al-Ko's ATC and AKS hitch stabiliser are welcome features (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 470 2019 - The revamped layout in the new Pastiche 470 might tempt buyers looking for something a bit different (© Practical Caravan)
ph01 - The Bailey Phoenix 420 has a similar look to its siblings. There’s no front gas locker, and the graphics are quite low-key (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)