Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: towing on to a ferry

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455976

• Terry74
  • Fresh Boarder
Good Evening

I will be towing a caravan for the first time next weekend onto a ferry to the isle of wight. I was wondering how easy this is ? as i do have horrible thoughts of making a total mess of it ? is it straight forward as i am not the best at reversing (lack of experience) hopefully its just a case of straight on and straight off .

Thank you all
The administrator has disabled public write access.

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455978

• Beehpee
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
I felt exactly the same when we went 3 years ago, I was bricking it! It turned out to be absolutely straightforward, the guys who guide you in to the hold know exactly what they are doing so you just take your time and follow their instructions and hand signals and you can’t go wrong, no reversing you just drive in and drive out the other end, and the island is great so worth the worrying in my opinion.

BP
Beehpee, I live in Daventry, Northants. A caravanner and love it.
Sir Sticky.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry74

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455979

• Terry74
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you ! . Hearing that has made me a lot more relaxed about it

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455980

• Brasso530
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Agree with Beehpee,we went last year,very easy.Only thing I would say,if you go from Portsmouth don't be super early for your ferry(like me :whistle: )as waiting car park is very small,we had to park on double yellows along with loads of other people.Dont panic,you'll be fine,cracking island,enjoy.
2014 Kuga 2ltr tdi,2014 explore 530

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455981

• Terry74
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you , we are going from Southampton

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455982

• chrispy
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi, this video may help - it is out of date by Andrew's own admission, but it will still give you a idea. Have a great holiday!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Terry74, Cropps

towing on to a ferry 2 months 1 week ago #455996

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 734
Southampton, has a lovely big waiting area, and also a dog deck area, on the red funnel line.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

towing on to a ferry 1 month 3 weeks ago #456591

• bertieboy1
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Hello Terry74,
Just back from France,on the ferry we were parked right at the front (almost outside) in a lane next to the side of the ship.This meant the other lanes had to disembark first.We saw quite a few caravans loose their rear corner steady feet by the corner steady feet hitting the off ramp caused by driving off the ferry too fast.No need to exit the ferry fast,take your time there's no hurry.

towing on to a ferry 1 month 3 weeks ago #456605

• JTQ
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
bertieboy1 wrote:
Hello Terry74,
We saw quite a few caravans loose their rear corner steady feet by the corner steady feet hitting the off ramp caused by driving off the ferry too fast.No need to exit the ferry fast,take your time there's no hurry.

That is good advice, be in no hurry on the ramp where it dips and crests, roll the whole unit over these bits stupidly slowly irrespective of any hurry on gestures, its your kit.

towing on to a ferry 1 month 3 weeks ago #456613

• chrisn7
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
If your jockey wheel is a bit on the low side, consider removing just the wheel to get a bit of extra clearance.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Challenger 580 - The Challenger profile has been streamlined for 2019, with a GRP front panel and a new panoramic sunroof in the hail-resistant GRP roof (© Practical Caravan)