Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Water ingress.

Water ingress. 8 months 4 weeks ago #461053

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 474
On more than one occasion I have used drain tracing dye to identify the source point of a leak.

Can involve a bit of time and patience but worked every time.

www.toolstation.com/shop/p19855?r=google...dEAQYASABEgIc2PD_BwE
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Water ingress. 8 months 4 weeks ago #461068

• scrancat
  • Junior Boarder
Back for advice again!
Haven’t been able to do much due to work and weather. Noticed last night that water appeared at bottom corner almost immediately after rain.
Managed to secure a sheet of tarpaulin to top of van and continued to dry out. I haven’t noticed any more water since then so I’m thinking now it may be the roof strap.
Would this be quite easy to re seal during dry weather?
Is it possible to put sealant straight on top of suspect area if it is dry and clean or is it better to work with mastic?
Thanks.

Water ingress. 8 months 4 weeks ago #461070

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1374
scrancat wrote:
Back for advice again!
Haven’t been able to do much due to work and weather. Noticed last night that water appeared at bottom corner almost immediately after rain.
Managed to secure a sheet of tarpaulin to top of van and continued to dry out. I haven’t noticed any more water since then so I’m thinking now it may be the roof strap.
Would this be quite easy to re seal during dry weather?
Is it possible to put sealant straight on top of suspect area if it is dry and clean or is it better to work with mastic?
Thanks.

If it is the roof joint seal just putting sealant over it would only be a temporary measure at best, until the seal is remade with mastic, assuming that the panel is okay. Last December my van developed small cracks on the top of the rear panel and they were sealed with white weatherproof self adhesive tape looking like duct tape. It stayed in place and stopped water coming in until the panel was replaced in May.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 8 months 4 weeks ago by otherclive.

Water ingress. 8 months 4 weeks ago #461074

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1142
If you do remove the roof joint strap ensure both surfaces are absolutely clean and dry. Solvents won’t budge the original stuff so elbow grease is the best solution. Use an approved caravan sealant such as
Sikaflex 512 sealant
Ordinary sanitary ware mastic will be a waste of time.
Anyway before any action do your very best to ascertain the source of the leak. Good luck.
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)