Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New tyres: best provider

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463770

• Mel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • member of the Woosie Club
  • Thank you received: 438
Hi. Need to replace the tyres on an Elddis 302; they are now 5 years + old. What, in your experience is the best way to do this. Take it to Kwik fit ( or similar), get a mobile tyre fitter to come out, get a service engineer todo it at the next service ( do they do this?)? Don’t want a muppet who doesn’t understand caravans jacking it up in the wrong place.
Thanks in advance
Mel
Lady Mel

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back.....
The administrator has disabled public write access.

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463771

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1142
Mel wrote:
Hi. Need to replace the tyres on an Elddis 302; they are now 5 years + old. What, in your experience is the best way to do this. Take it to Kwik fit ( or similar), get a mobile tyre fitter to come out, get a service engineer todo it at the next service ( do they do this?)? Don’t want a muppet who doesn’t understand caravans jacking it up in the wrong place.
Thanks in advance
Mel

I use a local tyre depot who lets me take the caravan around if its quiet. They just jack one side under the axle at a time. Alternatively I have ordered tyres online for home delivery and jack up the van to get one road wheel and spare changed, then take the remaining road wheel along once the other two have been put back into place.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mel

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463774

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 782
Get a mobile tyre fitter like ETyres or similar to do the wheel change where the van is.(and insist on them being balanced)
Most mobile caravan engineers do not have the necessary tyre changing equipment and balancing unit.

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463775

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 150
Mel wrote:
Thanks in advance
Mel

I used Just Tyres who knew what they were doing and were the most competitively priced. I selected Avon van tyres 8ply reinforced and found them a delight to tow and a very good price.
Note if you go on line to order from anyone, if your tyre is, say, 185R14 you may have to put in a profile of 80 (i.e. 185/80R14) if the site demands a profile. [Ignore C after the 14, it just indicates a commercial tyre.] If your tyre is L104/102 (which are hard to find) it means the MTPLM on a pair must not exceed 900Kg per tyre on a single axle van or 850Kg per tyre on a twin axle. If your van MTPLM is less than 1700Kg you can opt for L102/100 which are much more accessible.
Last Edit: 2 months 5 days ago by Woodentop.

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463776

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 920
I used Kwik fi mobile s they stated they could do the Tyron bands which i have. Next day they Called me saying what car are you fitting them on as the website cannot handle caravans, and only af ew of the mobile fitters can do it. I BASICALLY, had to talk the guy through it as he admitted he hadn't done one in a year and had forgotten.

But get the tyres balanced as the internals of the van survive better.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463778

• Scorpy
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Blackcircles.com & have them fitted by mobile fitter. They will arrange it all and they are the best prices I have ever found. Used them on Car, Caravan, Bike & Motorhome.
They also recommend a tyre besides all the well known brands which are made for them by a main manufacturer-comes with all guarentees etc
Mike
Mike & Jackie
2010 Kia Sorento & Coachman Pastiche 545/4

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463779

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 66
I used Tyre Medics who arrived to my home on time and did an excellent job swapping tyres and balancing. Their van was spotless and tidy. That saved me towing the van to a depot and any concerns regarding access with a towed vehicle

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463785

• JayTea
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Nothing to see here...
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by JayTea.

New tyres: best provider 2 months 5 days ago #463792

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 681
Like Damian we used e tyres and they were competitive and replaced the tyres in the storage area, saving a tow to a fitting depot which might be tight for a caravan. Mobile is the best in our view.
Ray

New tyres: best provider 2 months 4 days ago #463848

• Olivegrower
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We used Kwik Fit mobile in our storage ste. It worked very well, would reccommend them! Same price as taking the van to the local branch.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)