Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Crossing the pavement?

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 16 hours ago #472106

• Rhillen
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi, I wonder if anyone can help me with this.
At some point we are going to excavate a driveway to store our caravan at home. We have to go through the lengthy process of applying for planning permission to drop the kerb and then get all the work done etc.
Until then, I wondered if it is legal to take the caravan across the pavement (with a couple of wooden ramps to get up the kerb) and store it in front of our house on our property.
I know the ins and outs of storing caravans on the drive. It will not be obstucting any neighbours views and not protruding on the pavement. It is a small Eriba Triton so quite compact. Also, I know it is illegal to drive a car across the pavement but we would be pushing it on.
My question just relates to the legality of crossing the footpath.
I've searched around but can only find information relating to parking a caravan ON the pavement.
Anyone know anything about this?
Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 15 hours ago #472108

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1379
Where we have just moved from a couple extended their drive sideways but didn't want to bear the cost/hassle of seeking a new lift. They just left a length of wood in the gutter abutting the kerb. Also near our daughter one house has block paved the whole drive but still only have a single lift aligned with the garage. So two of their cars regularly drive over the pavement. So I think the occasional passage of your caravan over the pavement isn't likely to cause an issue. However as to being illegal or not I have always understood that parking in a pavement is not illegal unless obstruction passage, but driving is. Some areas allow pavement parking as it helps the flow of heavier vehicles and emergency vehicles. Certainly the Police have got far betterr things to do and parking has principally been devolved to councils. So Unless a Council officer should see your caravan actually crossing the pavement what evidence is there that it was "driven" across. But can a caravan be driven? I guess a motor mover does that but three large blokes pushing cannot be classed as driving it.

I would just relax and get on with it.

The following link may explain our antiquated laws.

roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/pavementparkingcop/

PS I do it when the caravan is brought back to the house. A couple of wooden strips works treat and she "drives " on and off so smoothly.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 15 hours ago by otherclive.

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 11 hours ago #472113

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 62
We decided to go through the formal legal process. We went through the Local Highways Authority which required us to contact all the Utilities which might have cables or pipes under the proposed dropped kerb, none had. We then had to engage a contractor who had a Licence from the Authority to do such work. This was not cheap. We know that others, not too far away, just put some planks down to cross the pavement to their property. At least we know that when it comes to sell the house we will know that all the access routes are legal.
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Volvo XC60 D5

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 10 hours ago #472114

• GrizzlyBathplug
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
We have just had our drive widened to get the Caravan on, just bought a couple of heavy duty rubber ramps.
Works a treat & saved us a lot of money & hassle dropping the curb.
Jeep GC
Coachman VIP 575

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 10 hours ago #472115

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 839
The whole issue of what you need to do is controlled by your local council and they are the people to ask.

In my area if you want to bring anything across a pavement, car, caravan etc then you must apply for permission and have a registered contractor do the job to their specification which includes depth of excavation and strength of surface as well as extending 1 mtr wider each side than the actual driveway to allow for turning in and out.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 10 hours ago by Damian-Moderator.

Crossing the pavement? 3 weeks 9 hours ago #472118

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 573
The whole issue of what you need to do is controlled by your local council and they are the people to ask.

In my area if you want to bring anything across a pavement, car, caravan etc then you must apply for permission and have a registered contractor do the job to their specification which includes depth of excavation and strength of surface as well as extending 1 mtr wider each side than the actual driveway to allow for turning in and out.

Same here, but our local planning department add that any surface laid must be porous. Tarmac is, but we had blocks paving, and had to have an approved medium, in our case powdered glass, laid as the base.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Crossing the pavement? 2 weeks 6 days ago #472119

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 480
Our local authority used to insist on using their approved contractors, it had the effect of pushing up prices for domestic customers.

The rule was later relaxed to permit any companies house registered contractors to undertake the works, costs came down as there was more competition to choose from, standards and compliance conditions still had to be met by all contractors.

I was able to have a significant length of drop kerb installed about 6 months ago and at a reasonable price.

Dropped kerb also has the advantage of being a visual indicator to deter people from parking on the dropped kerb area.
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
Last Edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Anseo.

Crossing the pavement? 2 weeks 6 days ago #472124

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 796
i cannot see any problem in taking the caravan across the path before the drive is installed. It is basically the same as taking your car across.
Ray

Crossing the pavement? 2 weeks 6 days ago #472135

• waffler
  • Platinum Boarder
I'd make sure your neighbours are happy with the plan otherwise you could get loads of hassle.
Coachman VIP565 and Kia Sorento KX3

Crossing the pavement? 2 weeks 6 days ago #472139

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Gold Boarder
Damian-Moderator wrote:

I think what Damian says is the position across the country, however a lot of people appear to ignore this requirement either deliberately or through ignorance. Some Local Aurhorities have started to take a stricter line: www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/100583...b-pavement-fine-bill
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Volvo XC60 D5
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Hymer Nova 470GL - The Hymer Nova offers great build quality, meaning it's no lightweight van (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 live-in test - That snazzy side window you can see at the nearside front is actually a fake, so the interior wall is left free for placing the TV (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Quasar 696 T/A - Some might want for a proper nearside window, but the large front gas locker is welcome. Neat graphics and smart alloys look good (© Practical Caravan)
Wheelhome Dashaway - The electrically operated roof is raised via a switch by the door (© Practical Caravan)