Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: First Trip with No EHU

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 6 days ago #473310

• grumpy2447
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Having only had a van since March and loving the lifestyle we stick our toes into waters new next weekend; a site without EHU.

We are heading to Chatsworth House Temporary site for the Country Fair.

Looking for any and all tips and advice to make life as comfortable as possible.

2 Adults, 1 dog in Quasar 764 which does have a solar panel built in although has only been used in the background without any intervention from me.

As ever, your time and patience is greatly appreciated
Volvo S90 and a Lunar Quasar 674
The administrator has disabled public write access.

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 6 days ago #473311

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1177
grumpy2447 wrote:
Having only had a van since March and loving the lifestyle we stick our toes into waters new next weekend; a site without EHU.

We are heading to Chatsworth House Temporary site for the Country Fair.

Looking for any and all tips and advice to make life as comfortable as possible.

2 Adults, 1 dog in Quasar 764 which does have a solar panel built in although has only been used in the background without any intervention from me.

As ever, your time and patience is greatly appreciated
40 years ago we only had gas! Enjoy :)
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by Dustydog.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, grumpy2447

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 6 days ago #473318

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 501
Having solar is a great asset, much less for you to think about.

Charge everything up before you go, phones, tablets etc.

A couple of cheap battery LED lamps also help to minimise main battery usage.

Charge devices from a 12v usb socket rather than use an inverter.

To be frank, you will probably be very comfortable without too much effort, water pump and heating being your likely main power draw, enjoy some TV and music and perhaps a DVD without worry.

Have great time, we would love to hear how it goes for you.
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
Last Edit: 3 weeks 6 days ago by Anseo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, grumpy2447

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473321

• Dodger524
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 167
Assuming your battery is in reasonable condition and you except that you don't have the use of the power hungry appliances, microwave, electric kettle, toaster and the like and you will be fine. Your fridge and water heating will be ok operating on gas as will the heating, if you need it.

We have a 100 watt roof panel and that is sufficient for our needs.
Regards Dave
Volvo XC70 D5 auto towing a 2012 Lunar Clubman SB wandering.me.uk/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Anseo, grumpy2447

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473325

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1582
As Dusty pointed out , for many years caravans were gas only accomodation, and people survived two weeks or more without electricity 12dc or 240V AC (as it was in those days) but times have moved on, and I remember the first time we had 12V just for some rudimentary lighting. It didn't seem like caravanning without getting to site and finding the gas light mantles had broken because of the vibrations during the journey, Ah the smell of gas lights,....,. but I digress.
When we first had 12V in caravans, it was life lesson in frugality, only using power when you needed it, and crucially turning things off when you have finished. It was possible to last a week or more with a car battery. Perhaps it was the remnants of the attitude of wartime make and make do. We certainly enjoyed the holidays.

These days we rely on having some electrical power in caravans to run some of the basic appliances, but with propper and bigger caravan batteries, and the being careful, a weekend can be easily achieved, especially if you resist the temptation of televisions and computers by trying other forms of entertainment.

You don't tell us the size of you solar panel, but even if it's only 50 W then it will still put a significant amount of power into the battery and extend the time you can stay off grid.

I do suggest you check the panel is working and is actually connected to charge the battery, it will give you peace of mind. Even so an off grid weekend should be fun!
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumpy2447

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473336

• Clifford_374377114
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
We have a 120 w solar panel and have gone for 2 weeks several times without any problems. We use a TV as well.
Cliff

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473338

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1177
Gas mantles Prof, :)
Beautiful. Reassuring hissing incandescent gas powered. Nostalgia :cheer:
And the water pump on our first Swift had a foot driven pump. Hot water was from an old style “ascot” type heater above the tiny kitchen sink. Gas of course.
Today off grid you can watch tv streaming on your I pad from WiFi or tethering from your mobile phone. Sky’s the limit. As the Proff says you will still need 12v for some basic functions. Water pump and more importantly toilet flush unless yours is manual :evil:
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Dustydog. Reason: Spelling

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473347

• Niall_McIntosh
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
We took our Vigo to Glastonbury this year. As you may recall it was HOT! Ran the fridge and water heater off the gas ( I had brought along an extra gas cylinder, but we didn't need it) and the Motor Mover and the lighting and radio ran off the battery. The roof mounted solar panel kept the battery topped up and we had no issues whatsoever over the 4 nights we were there.
Bailey Unicorn Vigo, Volvo XC60 D5

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473350

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
Clifford_374377114 wrote:
We have a 120 w solar panel and have gone for 2 weeks several times without any problems. We use a TV as well.
Cliff

Hi Cliff,

Is your panel roof mounted and what type of controller do you use?

Good to hear it is working well, Mrs Anseo likes her TV and music etc. so I am hoping that I have enough solar power to keep her happy.
Sir Haggis

Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Anseo.

First Trip with No EHU 3 weeks 5 days ago #473351

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
Niall_McIntosh wrote:
We took our Vigo to Glastonbury this year. As you may recall it was HOT! Ran the fridge and water heater off the gas ( I had brought along an extra gas cylinder, but we didn't need it) and the Motor Mover and the lighting and radio ran off the battery. The roof mounted solar panel kept the battery topped up and we had no issues whatsoever over the 4 nights we were there.

Glad to hear it is working well for you Niall, what size of panel do you use and is it roof mounted, what kind of controller do you use.

Thanks,
John
Sir Haggis

Last Edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Anseo.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)