Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Purchasing a caravan..

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473403

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
When the time comes to purchase one, it won't be a spanking new one.
How do you know everything works, for example, the toilet, shower, electrics, gas etc etc?
Do they come with full service and damp check, a check list of everything that the dealership has checked etc?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473406

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
You don't reveal where you live, but if buying a fairly new van from a dealer you should expect a full instructive handover, a serviced and damp-checked van (with the paperwork) and for e.g. in some Midlands dealers as much as a 3 year warranty. Have a good look around as many vans as you can on dealer forecourts. Don't be afraid to ask for a 'starter pack' thrown in, which would include waste/water carriers, battery, number-plate, driving mirrors, security devices etc and save a great deal of set-up cost!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TriciaA

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473407

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Many thanks for your reply.
I live in Dorset btw. I have read that at times the dealer can be quite generous, a startup package would be great of course.
The last 2nd hand van I looked at, the dealer gave me a list of extras that could be purchased. The motor mover was pretty expensive, can't remember the exact cost, but my eyes did pop out a little!

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473411

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Tricia, If you don't really know about what to look for when you buy a caravan I would suggest when you have made your decision to purchase your caravan find yourself a qualified caravan engineer to give the caravan the once over, buying a caravans new or secondhand can be problematic,

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473416

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Camel, I do intend doing that.

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473418

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1062
Tricia, a lot of dealers offer starter packs which include full size awning. For your travels across Europe, I would decline the awning, and save , maybe £500 or more. You might find that just a sunshade canopy would be better. I found that I could sell my light weight Porch awnings, at the end of our months touring, every time In France. As they were not available at that time ( three years ago).
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 4 days ago #473422

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1582
Hello Tricia,

It seems from your correspondence so far there is a lot about caravanning that is new to you. May I suggest that if you have a friend or relative who caravans, that you make a point of discussing your plans and ideas with them, and if possible get them to view a few caravans with you. They may well spot the good, the bad and the ugly things that a novice might miss.

I also encourage you to think about doing a towing course such as those offered by the caravan clubs. It may prove very useful.

If you are intending to caravan solo, then a caravan mover may be godsend even on the lightest of caravans.

When you get your caravan, do a few local trips to find out how the caravan behaves, and to discover the little things you may have forgotten and to find any non functioning items or other difficulties.

When considering towing abroad, do your homework on the local road laws, and documentation you should take with you, Bear in mind that Brexit will see some changes in these items.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 3 days ago #473427

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for your reply.
I have a couple friends who are quite often out and about in their vans who I have spoken to, they are local to me which is good.
I'll definitely take the towing course.
There are a number of campsites quite close to where I live, I'll be able to start off there well before I hit the high roads.
Heading across to Europe will be a challenge and I'll surely do my homework.
So much to learn, all the pros and cons etc.
I've already noted some things down, all in different categories.

Ah, yes, Brexit, it'll be interesting to see the outcome.

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 3 days ago #473429

• thosoneill
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 37
Obviously you must match the caravan to your vehicle - the kerb weight of the car must be heavier than the caravan - caravanning is an expensive affair - storage insurance maintainance and the impact towing a caravan has on fuel consumption - dealers will charge premium prices due to their overheads - there are many nearly new private caravan deals on autotrader at much keener prices - finally choose a layout suitable to your requirements
Abbey Iona vogue
VW golf 1.6 tdi match edition

Purchasing a caravan.. 3 weeks 3 days ago #473432

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
Tricia, I think down in your part of the world there is the Caravan Company, they had a site in Leicester but moved away to Northamptonshire because of lack of space , I often called in to Leicester for a look round and also sold them a caravan , I found them ok todeal with and they always had a good selection of used csravans,
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)