Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Hot water.

Hot water. 3 weeks 17 hours ago #473543

  • Grey13
  • Grey13's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 483
  • Thank you received: 164
No not the normal "hot water" most guys are familiar with but the stuff comming out the tap. Just watching the misus washing dishes and boy the water is hot. 60+ IMO no need. 40 would be just fine.
Reborn caravanner !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hot water. 3 weeks 17 hours ago #473546

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 12183
  • Thank you received: 1582
Not sure why you have posted this in new members?

But there is a good reason for having water at 60 to 70C in caravans.

The main reason is because of limited space and weight, it's not practical to have a larger heater that holds more water but at a lower temperature. he ability to have a smaller quantity of very hot water that can be diluted down using the cold water from an external source that allows enough hot water for something like a shower.

The other reason is that water that does not get hotter than about 40C has a much greater chance of harbouring unwanted bacteria, so the hotter it can get the fewer nasties can survive. The design standards for caravan water heaters set a maximum temperature for water leaving the appliance of about 70C.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524

Hot water. 3 weeks 17 hours ago #473547

  • Grey13
  • Grey13's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 483
  • Thank you received: 164
Just curious, how come only the hot water pipes etc are safe at 60 but all the cold don,t get that treatment?
Reborn caravanner !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hot water. 3 weeks 16 hours ago #473550

  • Parksy
  • Parksy's Avatar
  • Online
  • Moderator
  • Retired
  • Posts: 9998
  • Thank you received: 1410
ProfJohnL wrote:
Not sure why you have posted this in new members? .........
.
Please don't be concerned about which particular message board a post appears on Prof.
Quite often the software defaults automatically to the New Members message board no matter which one is selected by the O P.
I'm aware of this and I usually tidy these things up at weekends when I have a bit more time with which to do it :)
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, Kevin2306

Hot water. 3 weeks 16 hours ago #473552

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 2985
  • Thank you received: 678
Grey , I agree , it is hot as ( when on a CL ) we do the dishes in our van I sometimes can't put my hands in the water as it's too hot !
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hot water. 3 weeks 16 hours ago #473554

  • EH52ARH
  • EH52ARH's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Posts: 4949
  • Thank you received: 1062
It's a well known fact that our wonderful wifes can stand the water at hotter temperatures, than the men, so therefore they should do the washing up. .
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dodger524, Grey13, Tourer-Ted

Hot water. 3 weeks 15 hours ago #473556

  • Craigyoung
  • Craigyoung's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Posts: 2985
  • Thank you received: 678
EH52ARH wrote:
It's a well known fact that our wonderful wifes can stand the water at hotter temperatures, than the men, so therefore they should do the washing up. .

She obviously wasn't looking over your shoulder when you typed your last post then or I think you would have getting a stern clip on the head !! ;)
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hot water. 3 weeks 14 hours ago #473558

  • DaveA1
  • DaveA1's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 477
  • Thank you received: 99
Had a Legionnaires risk assessment done on our factory water system at work a few years back. At the hot water taps, say in the toilets, the temperature had to be, if I remember, above 55 degs and reach that temperature within a time limit. Needless to say we had complaints about the water, even though there were plenty of waning signs.
In the caravan hand book there is an instruction to run the water heater at maximum, for a while. I do this when I first hook up.
Also run shower at full temperature, before first use.
Regards Dave A

Vauxhall Insignia Eilite 163 Sport Tourer CDTI Auto
Swift Challenger Sport 442 2012
Last Edit: 3 weeks 14 hours ago by DaveA1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hot water. 3 weeks 14 hours ago #473559

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6125
  • Thank you received: 1401
DaveA1 wrote:
Had a Legionnaires risk assessment done on our factory water system at work a few years back. At the hot water taps, say in the toilets, the temperature had to be, if I remember, above 55 degs and reach that temperature within a time limit. Needless to say we had complaints about the water, even though there were plenty of waning signs.
In the caravan hand book there is an instruction to run the water heater at maximum, for a while. I do this when I first hook up.
Also run shower at full temperature, before first use.

Our water heater has two electrical power settings but only one temperature setting, which comes through far too hot to bear your hands under.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveA1, Craigyoung

Hot water. 3 weeks 14 hours ago #473560

  • DaveA1
  • DaveA1's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 477
  • Thank you received: 99
otherclive wrote:
DaveA1 wrote:
Had a Legionnaires risk assessment done on our factory water system at work a few years back. At the hot water taps, say in the toilets, the temperature had to be, if I remember, above 55 degs and reach that temperature within a time limit. Needless to say we had complaints about the water, even though there were plenty of waning signs.
In the caravan hand book there is an instruction to run the water heater at maximum, for a while. I do this when I first hook up.
Also run shower at full temperature, before first use.

Our water heater has two electrical power settings but only one temperature setting, which comes through far too hot to bear your hands under.

I'm learning!
I have been running my heater on gas at 70 setting. ( gas has 50 and 70 settings) didn't realise electric was wattage and not temperature, shown by some squalidly lines., in the maintenance section, it dose warn you to run at 70 c "at regular intervals" But as you say it's already doing it on electric.
Regards Dave A

Vauxhall Insignia Eilite 163 Sport Tourer CDTI Auto
Swift Challenger Sport 442 2012
Last Edit: 3 weeks 14 hours ago by DaveA1.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)