Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Smell of Gas

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473627

• James66
  • Fresh Boarder
I have only been caravanning for about a year now and towards the end of the season last year I could smell gas towards the front of the van. It was serviced a few weeks ago and they said it had a gas leak that they said they fixed.

When using the van over the last few days I could smell gas for a few minutes in the evening, usually after the hearing clicked on. I have been hooked up to mains electric and so only have been using the gas for the oven. Yesterday I didn’t use the oven and turned the valve on the gas bottle to closed but in the evening I could again smell gas for a few minutes in the front of the van. I don’t understand where any gas could be coming from because I was not using anything that was connected to gas and the valve was closed on the gas bottle.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473629

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
James, before someone comes on here and gives you an in depth technical answer, you say it comes from the front so if the smell is coming from the front locker make youself a soapy mixing of washing up liquid and water and have a spray round the gas joints from the gas bottle and the regulator and see if any bubbles appear but professional advice is the best advice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James66

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473631

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 678
Check all the nuts & connections are tight
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473632

• Woodentop
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 176
If you can smell gas but can't tell where it is coming from I would suggest removing the cylinder from whatever locker it is in and leaving it away from the van, then see if the gas smell is still there a couple of hours later - the smell should be gone as the locker will be vented to air and Propane (assumed) is heavier than air.
If there is a gas smell around the cylinder get the cylinder replaced and warn whoever that it may be leaking; if you can't smell gas around the cylinder call a gas technician as you clearly have a potentially dangerous problem.

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473633

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 858
You do not say how old the van is, which would be helpful.
Apart from the advice already given, like using soapy water on the various connections you can get to then with the cylinder turned on see if any bubbles appear where you have soaped, and turning the cylinder off until it can be checked with a pressure test.

I would also ask the service agent who did your service where the gas leak was that he found, and what he did to fix it, it may be that he has overtightened a union nut and split it, whatever he has done I would also get him to retest the system as it plainly is not right.

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 6 days ago #473635

• Tourer-Ted
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
In addition, check your leisure battery isn't being cooked by the charger and giving off fumes. Feel it to see if it's getting hot.
Cheers
Ted

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 5 days ago #473637

• camel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 93
I bought a new regulator of that well known auction site and when I connected it to the gas bottle I started to get a smell of gas ,I contacted the seller and he said that he had never had a complaint before he said you have really tighten it up, I managed to get that little bit of movement and the smell of gas disappeared , so in my case the regulator needs to be fully tight on the gas bottle,

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 5 days ago #473638

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1582
Camels suggestion of using a soap solution is a simple and effective way of finding a leak, spraying or brushing, and watching to see if any bubbles grow.

Even if you turn the cylinder valve off, the following pipe work will initially have gas in it under some pressure, so if the problem is with the pipework you may still get some release of gas until the leak reduces the pressure.

As your service agent had found a leak, I hope they would be competent enough to not damage any compression couplings, but it has been known to happen, but there is of course the connection to your gas bottle which is remade every time you change the bottle. Are you sure you have made a good connection?, The bubble solution is a good way of checking here because the gas will be at its greatest pressure and will quickly make bubbles.

Just to clarify Woodentop's comment, both Propane and Butane gas are heavier than air, and will sink to the lowest point.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 5 days ago #473642

• chrisn7
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 122
Some years ago I had exactly this problem which I traced to the BBQ point in the front locker. I found the compression nut to the tap was cracked, not entirely surprising as the factory fittings were of poor quality.
I have also had a propane pigtail to cylinder leak - this is the bullet shaped type that is metal to metal - which had to be tightened somewhat excessively to achieve a seal.
Incidentally, you can buy gas leak detector spray for making these tests.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 5 days ago by chrisn7.

Smell of Gas 2 weeks 5 days ago #473649

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 858
chrisn7 wrote:
Some years ago I had exactly this problem which I traced to the BBQ point in the front locker. I found the compression nut to the tap was cracked, not entirely surprising as the factory fittings were of poor quality.
I have also had a propane pigtail to cylinder leak - this is the bullet shaped type that is metal to metal - which had to be tightened somewhat excessively to achieve a seal.
Incidentally, you can buy gas leak detector spray for making these tests.

I fully agree with you about the poor quality of gas fittings used by the industry, they are cheap and nasty and have to be handles with great care to try and avoid damaging them.
The decent UK made fittings made specifically for LPG are excellent.

As far as leak detector spray is concerned , yes it is available but soapy water is a good emergency medium to use, just make sure to wash it off after !!
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)