Welcome, Guest
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Bad news. What next?

Bad news. What next? 1 week 5 days ago #475874

  • Dustydog
  • Dustydog's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 10897
  • Thank you received: 1197
Sad news at Swift just before Christmas.
Can’t see what Brexit has to do with it? But then we don’t do politics on here.....
Just feel for the employees who must be feeling the stress.


www.caravantimes.co.uk/news/industry/swi...tm?source=newsletter
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 5 days ago #475877

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6324
  • Thank you received: 1463
Not good news and certainly the extra tax on motorhomes might have been a dampener, but if you plan to spend £50 k+ on a motorhome I don’t think £2k is a deal breaker. I suspect there are a number of factors influencing the situation. The £-€ relationship has been poor for a long period although the £ is now at €1.16. But suppliers may have no tv been able to agree long term pricing arrangements given currency fluctuations. Resulting in higher bought in prices for many of the components that make up a motorhome or caravan.

Perhaps Swift have miscalculated the market for caravans and motorhomes or the ratio of potential sales of each vehicle type and don’t have the flexibility to switch production.

It’s also well publicised that consumers are holding back on big ticket items which may not affect the retired but is a significant factor in younger families deliberations even with mortgage rates of only 1.5% and inflation low. Confidence or lack of plays a big part in such decisions.

The car market is down again for another quarter and U.K. is not unique in this position. So this may reflect on the caravan market. What I’ve noticed on any recent site visits is the much increased number of campervans/tents and motorhomes compared to caravans. So I suspect the market is changing and becoming more complex.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 5 days ago #475878

  • audiorob
  • audiorob's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 454
  • Thank you received: 96
I suspect there are lots of factors, but with either motorhomes or caravans, whereas we were previously encouraged to buy diesel we are battered by anti-diesel rhetoric, including recently that Bristol may be the first city to blanket ban all diesel domestic vehicles in 2022. This uncertainty must affect new car sales and diesel engine motorhomes as well as tow-cars.
Whichever side of the Brexit fence you sit (or on it even) the continuing uncertainty along with the next month's worth of political mess and a general election maybe people consider that earning measly percentages on any savings is the safest currently until the dust has settled.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: otherclive

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475879

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6324
  • Thank you received: 1463
audiorob wrote:
I suspect there are lots of factors, but with either motorhomes or caravans, whereas we were previously encouraged to buy diesel we are battered by anti-diesel rhetoric, including recently that Bristol may be the first city to blanket ban all diesel domestic vehicles in 2022. This uncertainty must affect new car sales and diesel engine motorhomes as well as tow-cars.
Whichever side of the Brexit fence you sit (or on it even) the continuing uncertainty along with the next month's worth of political mess and a general election maybe people consider that earning measly percentages on any savings is the safest currently until the dust has settled.

The clean air measures in Bristol have council approval and await HMG approval now. The outer zone affects HGV, buses and taxis. The relatively small inner zone will ban all diesel cars between certain hours and even the Green Party have questioned why EU 6 are included in the ban.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475881

  • woodsieboy
  • woodsieboy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 882
  • Thank you received: 69
Our answer to clean air zones is exactly what the politicians want, we don't go into them. We don't spend any money in them as a result, when the traders complain of lost trade in these areas they can blame the Bristol Mayor and the eco brigade. In the meantime we spend our money elsewhere, and continue to drive our diesels.The idea of fining people who drive into designated zones, means that those who choose to pay can continue to pollute, and those who choose not to or cannot afford to, go elsewhere.It does not deal with the problem of the pollution at all.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475882

  • Raywood
  • Raywood's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 4452
  • Thank you received: 862
Not good news. They do say that things in general have slowed down but there seems to be little doubt that the extra tax on motorhomes is hitting sales. Given the uncertainty over Brexit, some problems were to be expected, but hopefully once we have an answer on that things will change.
Ray
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475887

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6324
  • Thank you received: 1463
woodsieboy wrote:
Our answer to clean air zones is exactly what the politicians want, we don't go into them. We don't spend any money in them as a result, when the traders complain of lost trade in these areas they can blame the Bristol Mayor and the eco brigade. In the meantime we spend our money elsewhere, and continue to drive our diesels.The idea of fining people who drive into designated zones, means that those who choose to pay can continue to pollute, and those who choose not to or cannot afford to, go elsewhere.It does not deal with the problem of the pollution at all.

Well it certainly seems to work in Germany where clean air zones have reduced pollution levels so why should it not work here?

Re Bristol most of the traffic that goes into what is the inner “banned” zone is through traffic so they don’t spend much in the retail sector. Anyone who drives into the Bristol “banned” zone is welcome to the crawling traffic congestion. For us we are happy to use Park and Ride, train or express bus. The latter two mean I can shop and drink too. Can’t be bad.

PS Bristol are only complying with UK law and are well past the compliance date as are many other cities too
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by otherclive.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JezzerB

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475895

  • woodsieboy
  • woodsieboy's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 882
  • Thank you received: 69
Hi Other Clive
I do not doubt that clean air zones will reduce the pollution in the zones, but all it does is move the pollution elsewhere so is a short term solution for the people in the designated zones.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475896

  • otherclive
  • otherclive's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 6324
  • Thank you received: 1463
woodsieboy wrote:
Hi Other Clive
I do not doubt that clean air zones will reduce the pollution in the zones, but all it does is move the pollution elsewhere so is a short term solution for the people in the designated zones.

The link to Bristols approach may answer your concern. Also in the Bristol Q&A and the HMG Framework document it clearly states that as pollution levels drop and vehicles become cleaner the restrictions will be eased and no doubt eventually removed.

www.cleanairforbristol.org/faqs/
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad news. What next? 1 week 4 days ago #475898

  • ProfJohnL
  • ProfJohnL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 12279
  • Thank you received: 1635
It's hard enough to get some of these taxes/charges introduced, but once there and generating cash, it's even harder to get politician's to agree to remove them!
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

Most recent caravan reviews

Elddis Avante 454 - Avanté looks good with quality moulded front and rear panels (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Discovery D4-2 - The Discovery is a quirky looking tourer, with an awning that stretches right around to the rear (© Practical Caravan)
Sprite Super Quattro EB - The EB's curvaceous exterior, with three windows, a large sunroof and smart graphics, rather belies its entry-level price band (© Practical Caravan)
Lunar Clubman ES - Luxurious seating and large windows help to make the Lunar Clubman ES a bright and comfortable living space (© Practical Caravan)