Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: European breakdown cover

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452157

• Mark31415
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Hi, Looking to do a month tour of Europe and so looking for some breakdown cover for car and caravan.
We are insured through Frank Pickles who will give us cover for £99 for up to 90 days (we need 27)
Green flag offer fairly comprehensive cover for £112

Several companies will recover car and caravan if the car breaks down but does anyone have any pointers to effective European breakdown cover which will include the caravan breaking and not just the car?

It looks like ADAC who used to be good can now only sell new policies in Germany (Since October 2017) so unfortunately they are not viable.

Any tips?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452159

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 837
Mark31415 wrote:
Hi, Looking to do a month tour of Europe and so looking for some breakdown cover for car and caravan.
We are insured through Frank Pickles who will give us cover for £99 for up to 90 days (we need 27)
Green flag offer fairly comprehensive cover for £112

Several companies will recover car and caravan if the car breaks down but does anyone have any pointers to effective European breakdown cover which will include the caravan breaking and not just the car?

It looks like ADAC who used to be good can now only sell new policies in Germany (Since October 2017) so unfortunately they are not viable.

Any tips?
I use the CMHC for European cover. It is specifically geared to the needs of caravans or motorhomes. Reports of problems that members have had and the assistance rendered by the clubs makes it worth the extra. I also have the personal travel insurance too as the EH1c doesn't give enough cover should you have a bad accident or illness. No repatriation in EH1C which would be costly if you were discharged from hospital and were immobile or unable to drive. Basically I hope to not have to use any of the insurance covers but if I do I don't want to be phoning several different organisations and trying to sort them out.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452160

• NigelHutson
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 74
Call it belt and braces, but I have just taken out a policy with Red Pennant, the C&MC’s European cover for a trip that we’re starting later this week. I have breakdown cover with the CSMA and the car is still under manufacturer’s warranty for another year (with European breakdown). BUT, in most cases, (and these two are no exception) will only sort out the caravan IF it is attached to the towing vehicle. You might think that’s fine, and until last year so would I. So, why have I bought the extra?

Last year we were going to stay overnight in Luxembourg on our way to the Alsace. We arrived at the site, and as I was driving around to our pitch (window open) I could hear a strange ‘clanking’ sound. Arriving at the pitch, I saw that the caravan’s handbrake was vertical, and then we got a whiff of brakes and saw that the wheels were black with brake dust. I had not felt a thing as we were travelling, but it seems that the breakaway cable had become snagged and had continuously been pulling the brakes on gently, until they’d worn out. Quite frankly, we were very lucky because the brake drums had got so hot that they were breaking up. So, back to the question. We stayed in the caravan that night (given the option by Red Pennant after they’d sent a garage to have a look) which was sensible given the time. A lorry turned up the following morning to take the caravan away and we were given options re alternative accommodation. It took the best part of a week to get the caravan back (it would have been a lot longer had I left it to Al-Ko in Germany, but thanks to Al-Ko UK.......), but we were on a good site and were looked after very well and kept informed by Red Pennant.

Yes, it’s pricey, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for.

The C&CC also do breakdown cover too, so might be worth a look.

It’s all very well having ‘standard’ cover (as we have elsewhere), but things might have been complicated had we not had the extra cover that we did.

1958 Morris Minor towing 2012 Hobby Landhaus 
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by NigelHutson. Reason: Additional information.

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452162

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
NigelHutson wrote:
Call it belt and braces, but I have just taken out a policy with Red Pennant, the C&MC’s European cover for a trip that we’re starting later this week. I have breakdown cover with the CSMA and the car is still under manufacturer’s warranty for another year (with European breakdown). BUT, in most cases, (and these two are no exception) will only sort out the caravan IF it is attached to the towing vehicle. You might think that’s fine, and until last year so would I. So, why have I bought the extra?

Last year we were going to stay overnight in Luxembourg on our way to the Alsace. We arrived at the site, and as I was driving around to our pitch (window open) I could hear a strange ‘clanking’ sound. Arriving at the pitch, I saw that the caravan’s handbrake was vertical, and then we got a whiff of brakes and saw that the wheels were black with brake dust. I had not felt a thing as we were travelling, but it seems that the breakaway cable had become snagged and had continuously been pulling the brakes on gently, until they’d worn out. Quite frankly, we were very lucky because the brake drums had got so hot that they were breaking up. So, back to the question. We stayed in the caravan that night (given the option by Red Pennant after they’d sent a garage to have a look) which was sensible given the time. A lorry turned up the following morning to take the caravan away and we were given options re alternative accommodation. It took the best part of a week to get the caravan back (it would have been a lot longer had I left it to Al-Ko in Germany, but thanks to Al-Ko UK.......), but we were on a good site and were looked after very well and kept informed by Red Pennant.

Yes, it’s pricey, but in my opinion, you get what you pay for.

The C&CC also do breakdown cover too, so might be worth a look.

It’s all very well having ‘standard’ cover (as we have elsewhere), but things might have been complicated had we not had the extra cover that we did.

Thank you Nigel and it just goes to show what torque demon the Morris Minor is. :evil:
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452165

• NigelHutson
  • Platinum Boarder
It certainly is Clive! You would have expected to feel the Landhaus dragging behind, especially given some of the hills, but alas, no, not a thing!

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452179

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 734
For Europe, I would only think about Red pennent, I did have Green Flag European cover, which covered the caravan , at £112 but feel safer with red Pennent.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452212

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 409
NigelHutson wrote:
I saw that the caravan’s handbrake was vertical, and then we got a whiff of brakes and saw that the wheels were black with brake dust. I had not felt a thing as we were travelling, but it seems that the breakaway cable had become snagged and had continuously been pulling the brakes on gently, until they’d worn out.

Sorry to hear that......but I would find that quite worrying.
What you describe are brake shoes binding on the drums generating excess heat.
I would expect a vertical handbrake to apply the brakes fully and lock the wheels.
This is what happens on my caravan if the handbrake lever is vertical.
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan!
  GB West Sussex

European breakdown cover 4 months 1 week ago #452216

• NigelHutson
  • Platinum Boarder
Gafferbill wrote:
NigelHutson wrote:
I saw that the caravan’s handbrake was vertical, and then we got a whiff of brakes and saw that the wheels were black with brake dust. I had not felt a thing as we were travelling, but it seems that the breakaway cable had become snagged and had continuously been pulling the brakes on gently, until they’d worn out.

Sorry to hear that......but I would find that quite worrying.
What you describe are brake shoes binding on the drums generating excess heat.
I would expect a vertical handbrake to apply the brakes fully and lock the wheels.
This is what happens on my caravan if the handbrake lever is vertical.

I quite agree Bill, and would have expected to be aware of the constant dragging/binding, but wasn’t at all, or for the brakes to have been fully applied, but there was nothing.

I questioned it with Al-Ko, as there had been no hint of the caravan dragging at all throughout the journey, and the brake was definitely off when we left the ferry, and stopped for lunch. It was their ‘Premium’ brakes which are self-adjusting, and I was told that of course they would keep adjusting up with the wear, but that it is quite probable that the breakaway cable was sufficient to keep pulling the brakes on when it was pulled tight, but then release again afterwards, maybe still binding a little (otherwise I can’t see how the shoes could have worn out completely as they did) and eventually there’s nothing left to adjust. When the brake shoes have been worn down enough, the handle will end up vertical as it’s not actually doing anything.

Of course, when we found the worst, my wife did suggest that she could smell something when we stopped for lunch, but thought that it was a lorry that pulled up about the same time. My sense of smell is decent, but not s good as hers. Hey ho!

Oddly, the breakaway cable wasn’t tight when I connected it, but obviously must have been tight enough to cause the issue.

The bottom line is though that Red Pennant served us well, and it just proves that none of us are exempt from mistakes.

Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by NigelHutson. Reason: Additional information
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gafferbill, EH52ARH

European breakdown cover 4 months 6 days ago #452234

• carper2
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Keep well away from the RAC I am with them and whilst driving down the A10 just South of Poitiers I had a blow out on the Caravan. I pulled over and called the RAC said I wasn't covered for problems with the Caravan so would have to pay my self. II told them I had specifically asked about the cover for the Caravan when I took it out and was told it was covered. Just behind where I stopped was a security camera and by the time I finished on the phone a security van was with me. He phoned for a breakdown truck and within 10 minutes someone was there changing the wheel. I had to pay just over €124. I will be having a word with the RAC when I get back. I have already got a quote from the CMC but they won't do anything till I get home.

Les
Work is for people who don't know how to Fish.

I live in Rugby, when I am not away in my Caravan.

European breakdown cover 4 months 6 days ago #452237

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
I think that if you break down on Autoroutes you must call the French autoroute coordinators who then arrange for the situation to be managed. Once they’ve got you off of the autoroute you can then contact your own breakdown support organisation. Perhaps that’s why the RAC declined support. Was your RAC via CCC or just you arranging membership yourself. With the CMHC their membership via Greenflag/Red Pennant covers Car and caravan problems. Whereas many of the others will tow/ load your van if you have a car problem but not cover you if you have a van problem. The policy T&C spell it out.
Last Edit: 4 months 6 days ago by otherclive.
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 590/6

£18,399

Venus 590/6 - The Venus 590/6 has had a revamp inside and out, including improved exterior styling for the 2019 season (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Eccles 480 - The sweeping black front panel incorporates flush-fitting tinted windows and complements the black and brown decals (© Practical Caravan)
Buccaneer Aruba 2019 - The Buccaneer Aruba replaces the 6-berth twin-axle Galera, thanks to feedback from NEC showgoers (© Practical Caravan)
Swift Challenger 580 - The Challenger profile has been streamlined for 2019, with a GRP front panel and a new panoramic sunroof in the hail-resistant GRP roof (© Practical Caravan)