Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: towcar advice

towcar advice 12 years 7 months ago #80830

• martin_5129685
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,Im thinking bout caravanning, but my car is a VW Polo 1.4TDI. The year of the car is 2000, and it is a V reg. Are there any caravans/folding campers that could be towed by this car ? Dont know a lot about weights etc. Really would like to start caravanning, but would be reluctant to swap my vehicle. Any advice welcome. Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

towcar advice 12 years 7 months ago #80831

• RickyLionheart
  • Expert Boarder
Hello and welcome to the forum we have the odd numpty on here but don't let that spoil your enjoyment, my wife has this car and it has a maximum towing limit of 1000kg so you would be restricted to older lightweight caravans I don't know a lot about folding campers but I suspect that they would come in below this figure

towcar advice 12 years 7 months ago #80832

• Fubar
  • Platinum Boarder
Hi

firstly welcome to the forum!

here are a couple of websites to start off with:

www.freedomcaravans.com/

www.eriba-amiga.co.uk/index.html

both of which are lightweight caravan sites.

ultimately it depends how much space you need, whether you need toilet/shower etc. we used to tow an Eriba with a 1.4 petrol Renault Scenic, although have now changed cars to make our journeys more comfortable.

hope you find what you are looking for. kind regards.

Mark (",)

towcar advice 12 years 7 months ago #80833

• martin_5129685
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your comments which were really useful. I have just seen a 1989 Lunar Meteorite with an unladen weight of 589kg. With my Polo's max towing weight of 1000kg,is this a good match or is the van too heavy?

towcar advice 12 years 7 months ago #80834

• JeremyClarksson
  • Platinum Boarder
Thanks for your comments which were really useful. I have just seen a 1989 Lunar Meteorite with an unladen weight of 589kg. With my Polo's max towing weight of 1000kg,is this a good match or is the van too heavy?
I can really recommend joining the caravan club or just having a look at their website

Their recommendation is:

www.caravanclub.co.uk/Practical+Help/UK+...Matching/default.htm

Our outfit is a Mendip Magnum (Compass Corona)636 TA towed by a Seat Alhambra tdi - if you use the MTPLM we are at about 95% and it is a stable outfit. Mind you that does not take into account loading, stabiliser or being a twin axle.

From the figures you have given I would expect you to be under the 85% advice

Most recent caravan reviews

Swift Eccles 580 - Apart from the neat silver roundel placed on the front nearside corner to mark 100 years of Eccles caravans, this exterior looks much like any other Swift model, with a black front panel and understated decals (© Practical Caravan)
Venus 460/2 Deluxe - Venus 460/2 Deluxe offers sharp graphics, glazed door, smart alloys and a large front window. Service points are placed on the offside (© Practical Caravan)
Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)