Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Leisure battery

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463548

• Jcbjohn
  • User is blocked
Has my battery had it,
When nothing is switched on,the volt meter reads 12.5/13v,when I turn a light on it goes down to 11v,turn another on ,it goes down to 10v another,9v,you get the picture,if no lights are on and a tap is turned on you can see power slowly going down.
When you turn the lights off or the pump ,you can see the voltage slowly build up again,
What is the problem?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463550

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1497
How old is the battery?
has been allowed to stand without being charged for more than a couple of months?
Could your charger be faulty?
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463564

• Jcbjohn
  • User is blocked
The battery is 2+years,it had been stood a couple of months,I checked the voltage with a meter and it showed 12.8v,
How do I check if the trickle charger is working?

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463574

• Jaydug
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
When the charger is switched on, the indicator on the volt meter should jump up to 13.8 or so.

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463576

• Jcbjohn
  • User is blocked
So what could the problem be?

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463577

• Jaydug
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 123
Did the pointer move up the scale as you switched the charger on?

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463578

• Jcbjohn
  • User is blocked
Yes,it goes back up slowly to 12.5/13v?

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463579

• Anseo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 451
JcbJohn

We are trying to help, but not easy until we have more info.

When you switch lights etc. on the battery reading goes down on the caravan console battery charge state indicator, is that correct?

What does the battery charge indicator read a few minutes after you have switched the lights off, does the battery charge level increase? (if so by how much).

(Give us a starting point charge level and the level at which the battery is at after you switch the lights etc. off)

Or does the battery remain at an indicated low charge?

Do you have an external 'smart' battery charger that you could put the battery on for several days, CTEK and Optimate are very good and can de-sulphate a battery, Aldi and Lidl chargers are a very good second choice at a much lower cost.

A badlly depleted\sulphated battery can be restored with good quality chargers, this can take several days on the charger.

Anseo
Sir Haggis

Bailey Pegasus GT65 Ancona (year-2013)
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Anseo.

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463587

• Jcbjohn
  • User is blocked
If you read my post,it's pretty straight forward what my problem is ,how much more info do you need?

Leisure battery 5 months 1 week ago #463588

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 818
Quote " If you read my post,it's pretty straight forward what my problem is ,how much more info do you need? "

Whoa...…. take it easy !!
Whilst your problem may seem pretty straight forward the resolution may no be so simple, and people on here in the main are not engineers, just ordinary folk trying to help.

One thing that is not clear is whether you are using the on board voltage indicator or a multimeter.
If the on board thing, they are notoriously inaccurate, get a multimeter !

From your initial post , if the voltage drops as quickly as you indicate then the battery has lost a cell or two and is only good for the scrap yard.

Most recent caravan reviews

Swift Cruach Culmor - Built on an Al-Ko chassis, the Culmor has an AKS hitch lock but no ATC anti-snaking. Alloys are standard - as are chic graphics (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Unicorn Merida - The Unicorn range has expanded with the reintroduced rear-washroom floorplan of the Merida (© Practical Caravan)
Caravelair Antarès 406 - The Caravelair Antarés 406 has a revamped exterior with bolder graphics; it looks smart. Plus, there's an exterior mains socket and barbecue and shower points are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)
Explore 304SE - Comfortable L-shaped lounge benefits from elegant colour scheme and high-quality finish (© Practical Caravan)