Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight?

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 22 hours ago #465505

• brissle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Whilst away this winter, I have seen several people standing on the roof of their caravans to clean windows, or do maintenance work. They are usually european manufacture caravans.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP take my weight if I get on the roof?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 22 hours ago #465506

• Damian-Moderator
  • Thank you received: 751
It depends whether it is a loose laid or composite.
If loose laid, NO, if composite , maybe.
However, it is not to be recommended even if possible,,,,,,,,,,,,,its a long way down !!!!!

European made vans are very different to UK ones !!!!
Last Edit: 4 days 22 hours ago by Damian-Moderator.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 11 hours ago #465513

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 420
Regardless of the structure, and as Damian says, its a long way down. Caravan roofs are notoriously slippy when cleaned, and at the edges, there are absolutely no hand holds. If its just a matter of cleaning, a long brush from the step ladder is as good as anything..
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 11 hours ago #465519

• Raywood
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 669
Only Bailey have ever advertised the strength of their roof so probably not. on a Coachman.
As someone involved in accident investigation, all I can say about the idea is that it is downright dangerous and even if the roof can take your weight, only a fool would try it.
Ray

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 10 hours ago #465525

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 420
I should have said, I actually bought a platform to work on mine. Quite a few of us got them on an Aldi special buy last year and they come up every now and then. About £60 I think they were.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 8 hours ago #465530

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1096
Thingy wrote:
I should have said, I actually bought a platform to work on mine. Quite a few of us got them on an Aldi special buy last year and they come up every now and then. About £60 I think they were.

I got one but even st 6 ft 4 in there are roof areas that are difficult to access. Younghusband platforms are higher but a lot heavier and more expensive.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 5 hours ago #465533

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1324
It seem to me that the only people who are likely to be able to answer this question will be your seller as they wold be liable under contract law if they claimed it were safe, and subsequently a roof failed when some one walked on it.

Historically, it is not normal practice to walk on vehicle roofs (including caravans) and most reasonable persons would expect that doing so is likely to damage the roof, structurally or its finish.

Walking on a caravan roof is not normal behaviour, nor is it easily achieved, so consequently caravan manufacturers are not expected to design their caravan's to accept such abnormal loads. Any one injured whist doing it, is not likely to have a claim against a caravans seller or manufacture upheld.

Unless a seller or manufacture tells you it is permitted, assume its not a good idea.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 5 hours ago #465534

• Dustydog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1001
Thingy wrote:
I bought one too. The platform mode is no good for reaching the entire roof. The extended ladder however does work but needs to lean against the caravan . It is stable with the broad foot print.
Even on a Bailey, I can’t recommend walking on the roof :woohoo:
Sir Dustydog (BAR) TS .Woosie Round Table
Properly trained, man can be dog's best friend.

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 4 hours ago #465535

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 546
I agree don't wanna go on the roof , slippery and dangerous , with the platform that I have on the top setting I can get to over half of the roof then just take the platform round other side and do the same , easy peasy - and safer .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!

Will my 2015 Coachman VIP roof take my weight? 4 days 4 hours ago #465537

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1096
Craigyoung wrote:
I agree don't wanna go on the roof , slippery and dangerous , with the platform that I have on the top setting I can get to over half of the roof then just take the platform round other side and do the same , easy peasy - and safer .
Craig
Would that be with the platform braces in place? :-)
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigyoung

Most recent caravan reviews

Coachman Pastiche 520 - Clean lines and understated decals give the Pastiche 520 an elegant exterior, and Al-Ko ATC and stabiliser mean it should be an easy tow (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Altea 472 DS Eden - Maximising the window area has helped Adria create a roomy feel, and the whole interior exudes a sleek, modern look that's unusual at this price (© Practical Caravan)
Moto-trek Trek-Away - The Moto-trek Trek-Away standard exterior is off-white; our test model was a very smart silver, one of a choice of colours that's available as a £1620 cost option (© Practical Caravan)

Alaria TS

£33,799

Lunar Alaria TS - The smart Alaria has subtle updates for 2019, including new graphics and front locker; self-levelling corner steadies are fitted as standard (© Practical Caravan)