Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Have just joined this forum ☺

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473401

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I have been reading through a number of different posts and all very informative.

At this present time, I don't own a caravan, however, I'm making plans for my retirement, so I'm starting early and gathering up as much information as possible.
I recently purchased a towing car, having traded in my Mini.

My intentions are to upsticks and head over to Europe. Spend a short time in France, having lived there a few years and then heading to Spain and possibly Portugal (warmer climates!)
I'm hoping this will be for a long period of time, so obviously I'm here to read up on as much as I can ☺

I'm intending on purchasing a lightweight, 2 berth caravan, something easy for me to handle and one that has a separate shower.
I've viewed a couple, Elddis explorer (402?)
looked pretty nice and quite spacious.

Anyway, nice to be here and my reading continues... ☺
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473402

• WayneS
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24
Hello TriciaA and welcome to the forum, ask as many questions as you may have: loads of knowledgeable & friendly folk to advise / help/ Good luck with finding the right caravan!
BW Wayne

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473404

• audiorob
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 89
Welcome. You don't say what towcar you have obtained, but start with the kerbweight and take approx 85% to get a sensible caravan weight. Then if you are looking for a 2 berth you mainly have an EK, end kitchen (perhaps like a Lunar Ariva), or EB, end bathroom layout, although for a dressing room, separate shower the EB may suit better. Something like an earlier Elddis Xplore 452/Swift/Sprite Alpine, would be around 1200kg. You don't say if you are travelling alone, but parallel front benches could be left as one seat, one single bed if so. You may find a caravan with a mover or consider fitting one for less than £700 which would suit a lighter weight van and make solo hitching/parking a doddle!
Above all it sounds like you have a European adventure ahead and may find one of the clubs overseas service will help you with what you need as well as sensible daily travel distances while on tour. Wow what a great way to farewell the world of work!

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473409

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for your reply, advice and the welcome.
I have a Hyundai Tucson 1.7 CRDi 2wd diesel.
I'll check out the Lunas, someone did actually mention that the Alpine Sprite 2 may meet my needs, if it has a separate shower.
Yes, I'll be traveling solo, so a mover I think is a must.
I traveled solo in my late teens, from country to country, putting my roots down where I ended up.
You could say, history will repeat itself, but in a different way.

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473410

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Thank you very much for the welcome Wayne.
I'm sure I'll find this forum very helpful.

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473414

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1062
Welcome to the forum, With such extensive travels and a good tow car, I am taking it you have a B+E licence, go for a caravan that has a high user payload, ie 200kg or more, it amazing how much kit you end up carrying. Things like rechargable gas from a fuel station would be usefull. Lot of other things to think about, as well
Hutch.
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473415

• TriciaA
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for the welcome Hutch.
I wasn't sure what B+E was until I checked my licence, yes, I have it.
Ermmm, high user payload?
Rechargeable gas.. This is something I'll have to look in to also.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by TriciaA. Reason: Added extra..

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473421

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 1062
TriciaA wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Hutch.
I wasn't sure what B+E was until I checked my licence, yes, I have it.
Ermmm, high user payload?
Rechargeable gas.. This is something I'll have to look in to also.

Yes the B +E Does Not limit you to a max tow limit of a gross train weight of 3500 kgs. .
Ie. On my Santa Fe. Max Gross Wieght, 2510 kgs, Without BE licence I could only tow a caravan with a maximum weight of 900 kgs. But as i have the BE, with the Santa fe , it's tow limit is 2000, Kg. So it would be 4510 kg.

Higher user payload, the amount of "Stuff" you can carry in the caravan, the basic weight of the caravan is called MIRO. So call it the empty weight. But then you fit the battery, The gas bottle, clothes, pots pans standby food, your little radio, etc. It all adds up , until you get to your MTPL, Maximum Technical Permitted Load, or Gross weight. It's not easywhich must not be legally exceeded. So get a caravan with the highest payload you can.
I hope this helps.
Hutch, aka, that annoying toad.
Woosie King , Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014,
Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes
Last Edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by EH52ARH. Reason: Addition

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 4 days ago #473426

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 678
Good evening Tricia welcome to the forum good luck in your search for the caravan you want , my eyes nearly popped out when got a price for my motor mover , but it's been worth every penny .
Ford Kuga 2.o Tdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying -
Will possibly get to
the round table some day !!
Sorry !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TriciaA

Have just joined this forum ☺ 3 weeks 3 days ago #473441

• Parksy
  • Retired
  • Thank you received: 1410
Hello Tricia, apologies, for my late response, I've been away off grid where phone charging was difficult.
Welcome to the forum, if there's anything you're not sure about just ask and your helpful forum online friends here will be sure to steer you in the right direction :cheer:
Contact email address:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TriciaA

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 440 - Decals on the side of the 440 feature a distinctive colour, purple, and have the same pattern with the large 'B' at the rear that you find on all Bailey models (© Practical Caravan)
Knaus Sport Silver 400LK - The Knaus Sport Silver 400LK is a compact family model. Although the door is not on the UK side, build quality throughout is first class (© Practical Caravan)

Lunar Ariva

£17,199

Lunar Ariva - Well-equipped and compact, the Ariva reaches its 25th year in 2020; perhaps that might be the time to give the profile a bit of an uplift? (© Practical Caravan)
Bailey Pegasus Rimini - The new Pegasus is now 8ft wide, but its profile remains pretty much the same, except for smart new graphics (© Practical Caravan)