Welcome, Guest

TOPIC: Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now?

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 5 days ago #435615

• DrZhivago
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
Gabsgrandad wrote:
Flickr -- tried to sign up , but keeps coming back to get a Yahoo e mail address, does it mean 'adding' a further address? -- Anyone know?
I have just signed up to Flickr myself out of interest - disposable e-mail address though, I don't want their spam. I had not realised they are owned by Yahoo, and basically you are sent to a page to open a Yahoo account, which I did. Seems that after that you log in with your Yahoo credentials. Nevermind that I already had a Yahoo account (different name and email though) for other reasons and did not want the two mixed up, I guess they did not notice. I uploaded a test picture and there it is below.

A thing I don't like about Flickr is that they make logging out hard to find. And when I did and went back later they "greeted" me with my name, which I find creepy like they are shadowing me; but they required me to log in anyway. I shall now delete their cookies and not use them again if I can help it. But is is an option for people.

Parksy wrote:
When I know what approach forum admin decide to take I'll post the relevant instructions, in the meantime I'll delete the sticky containing the Photobucket instructions if that will help.

Glad to hear things are moving on this Parksy; I think that pictures have been drying up a bit :)

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 4 days ago #435621

• Gafferbill
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Keep active be happy and stay safe
  • Thank you received: 302
I have had the email from Photobucket asking for payment...........so any pictures I have posted on this forum are about to disappear :whistle:
(Sir) Baldrick WC......I have a cunning plan again!
  GB West Sussex

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 4 days ago #435642

• ProfJohnL
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 728
It would be a real shame if we were to loose the possibility of posting pictures becasue of other sites changing their position on hosting. But it does not really surprise me, as someone has to pay for the internet by some means.

I don't know what the costs involved are but I always thought strange that this forum made posting pictures quite difficult by forcing users to use hosting sites. Computer memory is relative cheap these days, I do wonder if Haymarket might consider adding a few gigabytes of memory to their servers to enable hosting forum pictures, perhaps limiting the size of each image and the amount available to each user, and by using some of the compression software available to make storage more efficient it may not be too expensive in the grand scheme of things.
Unless I use quotes, All advice and opinions given are my own and are given in good faith. Never act on anything you read on a forum unless you can validate and verify its source and content.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 4 days ago #435643

• WoodlandsCamper
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 496
.. and also inhibiting the quoting of pictures?
Vauxhall Insignia 2015 2.0 cdti 170PS
Lunar Conquest 462 2012
Sir WC (MNKOR) BAR - member of the Woosie Round Table

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 4 days ago #435645

• DrZhivago
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 38
ProfJohnL wrote:
It would be a real shame if we were to loose the possibility of posting pictures
I've just had a look at the Photography sub-forum, and it is a disaster area :( Those pictures replaced by the nag notice won't come back to the forum now unless the owners repost to a different hosting service and re-link - or pay Photobucket's fee!

ProfJohnL wrote:
I don't know what the costs involved are .... Computer memory is relative cheap these days,
I think it is the cost of the bandwidth that is the main expense, not the memory or storage. I think you could store every picture on this forum on the average home PC. HDs are only around £50/Tb these days.

ProfJohnL wrote:
I always thought strange that this forum made posting pictures quite difficult by forcing users to use hosting sites.
TBH, I think Practical Caravan has a bit of a nerve because they are using someone else's storage and bandwidth (Photobucket's) in the rendering their own web page. It is debatable of course, as you could also argue that it is for our (free) benefit, and they are our pictures, so we should arrange (and maybe pay) for the picture being there. As it is, a picture shown here has completely by-passed PC's own servers, costing PC no storage or bandwidth whatsoever, so I can see why PC do it that way.

Some other forums host pictures themselves but reduce bandwidth somewhat by only allowing registered members to see them.
Last Edit: 5 months 4 days ago by DrZhivago. Reason: Clarification

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 3 days ago #435713

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 221
Received an email from Photobucket today informing me about the change to their 3rd party posting process. Will not be joining up. Need direct posting available from our pc/devices albeit with much reduced bandwidth.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.
Last Edit: 5 months 3 days ago by otherclive.

Photobucket - Costing $399 pa Now? 5 months 3 days ago #435728

• Mogwyth
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
If you look at hosting companies such as Fast hosts, 1 to 1 and 123-reg, , they all offer unlimited bandwidth on packages starting as little as £6.0 per month. For the websites and forums I am responsible for, we rent a serer with 2tb of storage plus 2 x 120gb ssd drives and unlimited bandwidth for about £1000 pa.This hosts about 50 websites (all ours) many with extensive image libraries.

Most forum software does have the ability innately or via a plugin to restrict the image size, even 50kb will get a good enough size/quality image for most purposes.

The loss of images is as I said earlier the reason we actuality discourage linking to images,
Discovery 3 4,4 V8 :cheer: followed by a Swift Charisma 610

Most recent caravan reviews

Venus 570/4

£16,499

The Practical Caravan Venus 570/4 review – 1 - Tweaked for 2018, the Venus 570/4 is priced from £16,499 (© Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Buccaneer Barracuda review – 1 - There are new graphics for the 2018-season range of Buccaneer caravans (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Knaus StarClass 480 review – 1 - The Knaus StarClass 480 has been ungraded for 2018 and is priced from £26,699 (© Andy Jenkinson/Practical Caravan)
The Practical Caravan Coachman VIP 460 review – 1 - The weight of luxury? This compact two-berth has an MTPLM of 1439kg (© Phil Russell/Practical Caravan)

Follow us on