Welcome, Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Inspire me ...

Inspire me ... 3 months 4 days ago #450666

• tuffty
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
Starting to think about summer 2019 holidays - I like to book early as have to go in kids' summer holidays, will be researching now and booking in September probably.
This year we're getting the ferry from Harwich to Hook of Holland, then driving down for a week in the Rhine valley just south of Koblenz. Then back for a week on the Dutch coast between the Hague and Amsterdam.
We'd like to go somewhere new in Europe next year. Been to France plenty of times over the previous few years so don't want to go there this time. Needs to have plenty of outdoor activities for both us and two kids (8 and 4), a nice town or two to explore also wouldn't go amiss. I don't want to spend the whole holiday towing so no more than say a full day's drive the other side of a ferry or tunnel. Don't want it to be really hot so Spain is probably out in August.
Was thinking of either Switzerland, by a lake in the mountains somewhere, or going north to Denmark and possibly even crossing over to Sweden depending on driving time. Mrs Tuffty's always wanted to go to the Black Forest in Germany too. Anyone any experience or recommendations of camping in any of these? Anywhere I'm overlooking?

Many thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Inspire me ... 3 months 3 days ago #450682

• Firkle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Good morning Tuffty,

For Denmark I would use Camping Holbæk Fjord which is about 30 mins from Copenhagen. Child friendly, swimming pool on site and lots to see and do.

I normally have an overnight stop when travelling from the Hoek and use Camping Mitte at Medelby www.camping-mitte.de/de/startseite.htm . The owner Hans also speaks very good English.

Another area you may wish to consider is what the locals call Swiss Saxony arround Dresden. Here I use Camping Luxoase. Again an overnight stop en-route at Knaus Camping Eschwege.

In the Balck Forest, Bad Liebenzell or Kirchzarten are also places to consider.

Hope this assists.

Firkle
The following user(s) said Thank You: tuffty

Inspire me ... 3 months 3 days ago #450683

• otherclive
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 711
I’d echo Swiss Saxony a beautiful area with Dresden close by. The Hartz mountains are worth a stopover and if you are interested in WW2 sites go to Mittlebau Dora, underground V2 factory. . Quedlinburg absolutely beautiful medieval town untouched by war.
Skoda Superb Estate 2.0 TDi SE CR 170ps DSG 4x4 carrying two Springers, Sprite Musketeer TD 2013, and Vango 300 Icarus tent too.

Inspire me ... 3 months 3 days ago #450684

• Thingy
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 254
You could do far worse than take a look at the Salzkammergut region of Austria. There is an awful lot to do and see, plus the mountains and lakes side by side. In July and August the lakes are incredibly warm to swim in and its one of the most beautiful areas of Europe. The lake I would particularly recommend is Woflgangsee staying in either Sankt Gilgen, Sankt Wolfgang or Strobl. That lake in particular has quite a few touring campsites around its edge and I would have to say is the most scenic of the group.

The cable cars up Dachstein, google "the stairway to nothing" and the "five fingers of Dachstein", all easily accessible. Salt mines, ice caves, boat trips, Salzburg, Hallstat is stunning. Schaffberg Mountain Railway. Grossglockner drive, Hohenwerfen castle (where eagles dare) Hohensalzburg Castle, one of the largest in Europe, the list is endless, far too much for one holiday. Of course, you cannot miss the trip up to the Kehlsteinhaus, Hitlers Mountain retreat.

If you do go down that way, take the opportunity to stopover near Rothenburg 0b der Tauber, the town has to be seen to be believed.
Shogun 3.2 SG3 (197) tugging Stirling Continental 530
(Im a caravanner - if it aint broke -it will be tomorrow.)
Last Edit: 3 months 3 days ago by Thingy.

Inspire me ... 3 months 2 days ago #450756

• EH52ARH
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hutch.
  • Thank you received: 648
Tuffty, Switzerland is Incredibly, expensive, food Beer etc, it is wonderful, And you would need motorway vignets for both car and caravan. Last year €40 each.
Hutch
Sir Were-Rabbit
Sante Fe 2014, tugging a Coachman 560 VIP. 2013.
Rural Milton Keynes

Inspire me ... 3 months 1 day ago #450776

• nor
  • Senior Boarder
Stay in the Netherlands . Lovely coast all along from The Hague going up the coast . Very child friendly sites and safe cycling everywhere .
Also not too far from the ferry when returning home .

Inspire me ... 3 months 1 day ago #450777

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 368
We done Holland last year , stopped around the Delft area , like another post says it's great and safe for cycling , nice and flat, it is a touch on the expensive side though .The site that we stopped on had big pitches and then a 5 minute walk around the park brought you to a big Lake which was great where the kids can just play and go in the water.
[url=https://postimages.org/
[/url]

Delftse Hout

Korftlaan 5, 2616 LJ Delft, Netherlands
+31 15 213 0040 g.co/kgs/pRquCh
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Craigyoung.

Inspire me ... 3 months 1 day ago #450779

• tuffty
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks all.

We're booked in to Delftse Hout after the ferry crossing this summer, to break up the trip down to the Rhine valley. Then later staying at a place called Koningshof a little further north before we return to the UK. Good to know that Delftse Hout is as good as it looked online!

I accidentally strayed into Switzerland a few years ago on a motorbike tour of the Alps, and before I knew what was happening had bought a vignette, two extremely overpriced tanks of petrol and a ludicrously expensive ham baguette for lunch so am all too aware of the cost penalty! Luckily the views of Lake Geneva and Mont Blanc made up for it though.

Austria is definitely on the list, probably a little too far for next year though I reckon. Having looked at the Stairway to Nothing I reckon I'll invent a job to do on the van whilst the family go up there - not a great fan of heights!

Great thoughts on Denmark and Swiss Saxony thanks. I reckon Denmark is slightly in the lead at the moment as it would be a completely new country for me which is always good, and Hobaek Fjord looks like a great place.

Inspire me ... 3 months 1 day ago #450780

• Craigyoung
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Happy Touring
  • Thank you received: 368
Are you booked into the site i was ? As there is a certain way you have to come in as if you go the other way , there is risk off losing the bottom off your car ?!

It's a kind of an inverted speed bump with a hole in the ground with things sticking up ! Avoid ! You need to come in past the Ikea if you're stopping on the same site.
Craig .
2o16 Ford Kuga 2.oTdi & a Sprite Major 6TD

Sir Crying - will get to
the round table some day ! ( sorry but can't get the Pink writing on my phone !!) ?
Last Edit: 3 months 1 day ago by Craigyoung.

Inspire me ... 3 months 1 day ago #450783

• tuffty
  • Senior Boarder
Cool thanks. Just what you need when you've just started to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road :-)
  • Page:

Most recent caravan reviews

Bailey Phoenix 640 - The Bailey Phoenix 640 is a great starter van for comfort-seeking couples (© Practical Caravan)
Adria Adora Sava 623 DT - For 2019, Adria introduces a brand new model, the 5-berth twin-axle Adora Sava (© Practical Motorhome)
The Unicorn Vigo has had a facelift - The fourth generation of the Vigo has a revamped look to the front of the van (© Practical Caravan)
Osprey 866 exterior - The Elddis Osprey 866 dealer special edition has unique decals down its GRP sides (© Practical Caravan/Andrew Jenkinson)